Old August 14, 2003, 21:04   #31
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I say take a trip down to City Hall and tie the knot. While there may be long term expenses, the problem right now is a short term one and it needs to be solved now, or she'll be having even bigger long term expenses.

Recalling the "Marraige: the ruiniation of women" thread or the "Men: Escape the ball and chain" thread, this is the first time I've seen marriage to be an act of liberation. Most interesting.
Old August 14, 2003, 21:30   #32
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Local Time: 07:23
What about the online marriage site? You just register your names and voila! You'se hitched.
Old August 14, 2003, 23:06   #33
Emperor

hmm, I remember how a friend of mine once got ordained a priest by some online church. (or more specifically, some online church's Java applet). He went around claiming he ould marry people. No one took up his offer so far as I know.
Old August 14, 2003, 23:17   #34
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 03:23
really i feel for your fiancee... i had the exact same problem and i asked her for help... someone here before mentioned that there's some way to force people to reveal their tax information but i dont know.
Old August 14, 2003, 23:19   #35
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:23
"THE EMACNIPATION PROCLAMIANTIO???" I DO"T LISTN TO HIP HOP!
Old August 14, 2003, 23:29   #36
Elok
Emperor

The Schnockered Serbian Strikes Again...
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old August 14, 2003, 23:45   #37
Koyaanisqatsi
King

May have found a way around it...maybe...apparently you can fill out the student part of a FAFSA and submit it, then if you petition the financial aid department here they have the authority to give you a pass on the parent section if you can convince them that there's a good reason...and we have an excellent reason.
Old August 14, 2003, 23:49   #38
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Oh, and...
Quote:
What about the online marriage site? You just register your names and voila! You'se hitched.
What the hell?
Old August 15, 2003, 19:17   #39
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dv8ed
May have found a way around it...maybe...
Or maybe not.

It looks like our options are these:

1) Get married. It's not how I would want to do it, or why I would want to do it, and wouldn't be great for a few other reasons I won't get into (nothing about the relationship, just outside stuff), but it's an option.

2) She leaves school. This seems foolish to me. She only has 13 credits left, for crying out loud.

3) I leave school. I've done it before, for medical reasons, and it wasn't pleasant for me. I swore that when I went back, I wasn't leaving without a degree...but, if it meant she could finish what little she has left, I'd do it.

We don't know what to do. I guess I'd take any thoughts anybody has...don't think you're making the decision for me, but I'm certainly open to feedback just in case there's an aspect of any of these that somebody thinks I may have missed. Or for any other reason, I guess. It's Poly, it's not like I can shut you up.
Old August 15, 2003, 22:40   #40
Emperor

Are her parents aware of the situation at this point? If not, I would go for option 4) Convince her parents, using bribery if needed, to fill out the necessary paperwork.

If that is not an option, If I were in this situation I would then go to 1) Get married. While I realize it is not a perfect solution, having to sacrifice either your or hers education would suck even more. In any case I would say this would be the first such case in history known on the Internet.

However, I don't know your complete circumstances, so if that's not workable, I would go with 3). I wouldn't completley leave school though, take night classes or something. It'd be for one semester at most, right?

Anyway, you should write a movie script, this would make a great story. I would at least write the FAFSA agency.
Old August 15, 2003, 22:54   #41
Koyaanisqatsi
King

And then the script could fund the school, right?

Her parents aren't going to fill out the paperwork, although we are going to give it one more try. They're incredibly paranoid about the government having information on them...it's one of their more endearing traits, really. But we're going to try on Sunday, I guess...or she is, as I wasn't invited.

It would be two semesters, because she needs to do an entire capstone, which requires two consecutive semesters. But that's still the option I'd lean towards between the last two. I don't know about the first one. Obviously we want to be together, but...it's complicated. The complications will be less shortly, so that will be good, but it doesn't help right now.
Old August 16, 2003, 01:03   #42
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

I don't get it.
Old August 16, 2003, 03:07   #43
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Old August 16, 2003, 19:44   #44
Emperor

Good luck with trying to convince them. There's really no need to be paranoid of the government finding out information now that there's Total Information Awareness. If the gov't wants someone's info it will get it. What is there on the FAFSA that's not on tax forms anyway?

Well, FAFSA's are done by the semester, so why not take off a semester then and see how things are one semester later?
Old August 16, 2003, 20:55   #45
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

I still don't get it.
Old August 16, 2003, 23:16   #46
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Heh. Yeah, it was a complete mystery to me what not filling out a FAFSA gains them. It asks for basic tax information, and that's about it. It's going to a federal agency. If you believe that federal agencies are going to share information, who would they share it with, the IRS? It's the same stuff the IRS already has. But apparently, the first time they were asked to fill one out, their reaction was "I can't believe anybody actually fills this out, why do they want to know that?"
Old August 17, 2003, 11:10   #47
Emperor

To keep people in government agencies employed by giving them something to do. Why else would the Feds use two forms to collect the same information?

Unless said people don't pay taxes...
Old August 17, 2003, 13:19   #48
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The problem may be that many years back a federal Court decided that IRS records were not to be made accesible to anyone outside of the IRS, so in fact, other federal agencies, as well as state and local governments do not have access to your IRS records. Therefore ths college has no way top verify whether an applicant for aid truly needs it or if the applican is in fact the child of some screwed up wealthy couple who figure that they're entitled to aid juast as much as anyone else. Does the FAFSA form give the college signed consent to gain access to the partent's tax records? Does it require that the parents declare their income with a signed statement making them liable should they happen to give alse information?
Old August 17, 2003, 15:16   #49
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Yeah, they have to make statements about their income and holdings. Which is the problem. I just fail to see why it's a problem.
Old August 17, 2003, 15:49   #50
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

All I know is, I STILL can't qualify for FAFSA, because my parents are still claiming me as a dependant (despite having paid income taxes of my own since I was 13 years old, and am now 29). HOW THE FVCK DOES THAT WORK?!?
Old August 17, 2003, 15:55   #51
Lord Merciless
Warlord

What kind of shitty parents wouldn't even fill out an application form for their child? If my parents were like that, I would completely break up any relationships with them and let them rot when they needed help later.
Old August 17, 2003, 16:00   #52
rev
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
hmm, I remember how a friend of mine once got ordained a priest by some online church. (or more specifically, some online church's Java applet). He went around claiming he ould marry people. No one took up his offer so far as I know.
http://www.ulc.org
Old August 17, 2003, 16:02   #53
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Anyone know a good Cult of the Dead Cowest?
Old August 17, 2003, 22:56   #54
Emperor

the ULC!
Old August 17, 2003, 23:13   #55
Timexwatch
King

Quote:
Originally posted by st_swithin
All I know is, I STILL can't qualify for FAFSA, because my parents are still claiming me as a dependant (despite having paid income taxes of my own since I was 13 years old, and am now 29). HOW THE FVCK DOES THAT WORK?!?
How in the hell does that work? Did you code for CtP2 while living in their basement or something?
Old August 17, 2003, 23:54   #56
Koyaanisqatsi
King

No go. The *******s still refuse to lift a finger to help.
Old August 18, 2003, 20:02   #57
Emperor

Hire the Mafia.

Actually, I would now go to her other relatives and see if they can convince her folks.
Old August 18, 2003, 21:20   #58
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Well, at the very least, my fiancee is intrigued by the Mafia idea...

Actually, looks like it might be ok. We think we found somebody who will give her a loan with no cosigner. They've said she approved, but we have to fill out the paperwork first, and since I was surprised that anybody would give her a loan without a cosigner (so was the financial aid office) I'm a little nervous until we actually see the cash in her account.

But I'm probably just worrying too much...I think it's finally taken care of!
Old August 18, 2003, 23:19   #59
Emperor

Old August 18, 2003, 23:27   #60
Sikander
King

Threaten to go to the feds with "everything" if her parents don't cooperate and fill out the damn form. Don't worry about having anything to go to the feds with, if they're (her parents) paranoid they'll think of something.