Old December 7, 1999, 15:49   #1
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 05:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
RED FRONT is BACK! Version 1.1
Revised Red Front files were sent to Allard today for uploading to CSC. It should be available by this weekend.

Many new units, new sounds, new events, 8 different unit files, 8 different rules files, 9 successive event files. ALL infantry units have distinct summer and winter uniforms.

1944-45 events includes progressive collapse of Germany, allied bombings destroying the German industry and advanced units becoming more and more scarce.

Many new cities added to the map and the AI is much more difficult to beat than in the first version.
Old December 9, 1999, 15:46   #2
Captain Nemo
Prince

Not a lot of activity along the "Front" this week so I'll kick it off:

After finishing the revision to Red Front I started a fresh test game (Deity level) to see how my new improved AI does against me...

It's July 1944, almost 3 years since those treacherous Nazis broke our mutual non-aggression pact and started the war:

The first 6 months of operation Barbarossa were harrowing for the Soviet people. Without Red Guard units there isn't much to be done to stop the Nazi tanks. 7 cities fell in June from Riga to Kirovgrad, followed by 5 more in July. Odessa held in July because Naval infantry units were rushed by sea from Sevastopol to reinforce the garisson. The fortress at Brest-Litovsk was eliminated in July. Minsk also fell but Kiev held with minimal units left over...

August sealed the fate of Kiev, and the Germans are hammering at Perekop in Northern Crimea, Kharkow is under siege... Kholm and Luga have fallen putting the huns on the doorsteps of Leningrad in August, still 3 months to go before winter!

September sees the fall of Kharkov, Smolensk and Narva, the Germans are rolling in siege artillery against Leningrad, my Red Army units are fast pillaging all the road squares around the city but my Labor Brigades got wiped out by Stukas before they could complete the minefields.

Only a few T-34s and Katyusha-launchers are able to make the Nazis pay when they advance too fast. I have had time to fortify Kaluga and Tula with multiple AA batteries and NKVD veteran troops to prevent the offensive from cutting through south of Moscow... To the North the dense woods and marshes should slow them down.

The Finns have retaken all the cities they gave up in 1940 and are advancing towards Tikhvin in the South and Murmansk in the North. The Germans took Petsamo in July and are regularly sending infantry toward undefended Murmansk from the West. Only strifing by 3 old Polikarpov fighters hold them at bay.

October... the Germans are on the Don river attacking Rostov and Voronezh repeatedly. Kaluga did not hold, dozens of Wehrmacht infantry units just kept pounding at those defenders until they were all gone... Perekop fell and now there are heavy siege mortars in the Crimean peninsula too. The fortresses defending Sevastopol will hold them at bay for a while but when Kerch falls a breach opens in the defense line and the Germans pour in...

Novgorod and Tula fall next along with Kursk and Bryansk... Demyansk to the North comes under Luftwaffe attack in November. German tanks are storming Moscow's defenses from October on... The city gets hit by the German bombers but without too much damage... But all the forts in the defense perimeter get gradually wiped out of units.
Only one fort to the South west holds up and keeps killing the Germans as they enter the minefields. Leningrad is under serious attack too, with Finns coming down the East side of Lake Ladoga and Germans regularly storming out of Narva and killing defenders in great numbers... Every available unit Northeast of Moscow must be brought in to hold the city and all new T-34 tanks from Sverdlovsk and Gorky must be diverted to defend Leningrad.

Rostov holds out but not without losses. The last German turn of November is a "nail-biter" Leningrad is left with two Red Army units and a freighter as sole defenders. Moscow is down to it's last AA battery. Voronezh, Rostov and Sevastopol hold and then finally comes the winter...

The first winter in the game is not a really great time to get even, just a breather to regroup and prepare for the upcoming spring. With all Luftwaffe planes grounded by the cold weather, units can venture out of the cities and kill isolated Germans...On the other hand the Finns get really rowdy in the winter months! They start moving fast on skis and attack and capture Tikhvin, effectively cutting the resupply route to Leningrad. Partisans in the Pripyat region also come out and harass the German rear as the German planes are out of service. The biggest preparation is to the Southeast, fortifying Rostov and Stalingrad for the upcoming summer offensive (Operation Blau). Also the economic build-up starts, with all refugees starting improve and enlarge the Eastern cities. The Red Guards are formed from survivors of the summer campaigns and new La-5 planes are made ready for the spring when the air war resumes...

Limited counter attacks clear the immediate vicinity of Moscow and new AA batteries are replaced in the surrounded forts.

The Germans have new mobile artillery units, "Hummels" that can pound the cities really hard and unlike the few big siege mortars there are great number of these.

Convoys from the UK make their first runs to Murmansk so there are now armored infantry carriers to help the poor defenders hold out against the Finns.

Towards the middle of the winter troops from Far Eastern Siberia start arriving into the theater, due to the "Sorge report". These guys are tough and they don't mind the snow! Actually they ignore it. Their heavy Degtyarev machine guns carve-up the Germans.

MORE LATER...
Old December 9, 1999, 18:06   #3
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:51
Don't have much time, but it's summer of '43 now and the Ukraine is lost. But I'm holding on in the north. The Finns are being fought back.

....I'll post a more detailed report later (unless I lose)
Old December 9, 1999, 18:20   #4
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

The Germans seem to be bribing Barabarian (Yugoslav) partisans. Any reasons why? I thought you were going to let the players control the partisans?
Old December 9, 1999, 19:00   #5
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 06:51
I was doing great on RF, it was winter 1942 and I was just starting to push the Germans back, my T-34`s were hammering them out on the field, the Partisans and Red Guard appearing in the Pripet Marshes had managed to recapture Minsk and hold onto it.

Then disaster struck. The events failed to load for winter 1942, and I was wondering why it was still winter in May '43. Now I`ve got to start again, will things go as well for me this time round? I doubt it

I shall now return to my corner and sulk.

------------------
"I`m a rugged individualist, just like everyone else".

-Bart Simpson`s Guide to Life
Old December 9, 1999, 20:51   #6
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

You got back Minsk!? How?
Old December 9, 1999, 23:52   #7
Captain Nemo
Prince

I'm concerned about events failing to load... Did Civ2 completely shut down? (That usually means oversized events.txt file) Or did you get an events error (Syntax mistake) Was it the spring of 43 that didn't work. Is it the old or the new version?

Regarding the Partisans, the Yugoslavs are still barbarians but the Polish uprising in 1944 is Soviet controlled. Some liked the "Uncontrollable" partisans better so I left the Yugoslavs in there. I can't prevent the unit in the "diplomat" slot from bribing (Must be hard coded) I think it's the He-111s that do it? Or maybe it's just a cheat the AI gives himself to get rid of really tough units?
I have had them bribe Soviet tanks and AA batteries around Moscow!
I captured Byalostock (sp?) with Partisans in the winter of 1943 and was able to hold it until the Soviet main force reached it from the north in August 1944... Minsk was impregnable. But capturing it without the winter events would be easier (No German reinforcements)...
Old December 11, 1999, 01:17   #8
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 06:51
Mao: Complete luck. The Germans had about three units inside Minsk (1 Wehrmacht, 1 Me-109 & 1 He-111). And the umpteen million Partisan and Red Guard units appearing to the south meant it was easy to hold onto Minsk for several turns (until I realised what was wrong).

Nemo: Don`t worry about it, I don`t think it was really a fault with the game (it didn`t shut down or produce an error message, and it hasn`t happened before). It was the winter of 42 where the events didn`t work.
Old December 11, 1999, 20:32   #9
Overdrive
Warlord

SCHWEINEHUNDE

Red Front 2 is harder and nicer...I especially liked the new sounds and graphics part. A must-have in any civ scenario collection!

Standing Ovations

Stavka Report Jan 31st 42
--------------------------

This war is a disaster for the Rodina, Comrade.
Although we were able to quickly reorganize the shattered remains of the western military sectors and dismantle our industries in the west, nothing is won yet.
The convoys out of Britain are rare and the Finns proved very battleworthy...the landline from Murmansk to Leningrad is not secure...
Talinn is under siege: the naval infantry is conducting a heroic defense, but the future looks grim. Vellikye Luki and Kholm fell this autumn.
On the Demyansk-Moscow Line, Moscow suffers the most, street-fighting around the Kreml in minus twenties (Celsius) temperatures eats up our reserves.
The south looks better organized:
The Dnepropetrovsk bridgehead holds, protecting the whole Kerch Peninsula and the Zaporozhye-Voroshilovgrad Line. Above Guards divisions hold Kursk and Orel, effectively shielding the Voronezh industrial bassin from the north-west.
These sentences may sound somewhat positive but the industrial capacity of the soviet people has not reached any heights. Much will depend on my gamble to research Air Defenses early to prevent the massed german airstrikes.
Will there be enough Air Defenses up beginning of Summer 42 to stem the tide?

------------------
-Under the skin, we're all human.-
<Lustin' Prussian
Old December 11, 1999, 22:35   #10
Overdrive
Warlord

Everything went well till the germans bribed my fortress infront of Narva!
How do you break that friggin pontoon bridge? Is it possible at all?
Old December 12, 1999, 01:24   #11
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Oh captain my captain! May I ask that send me the new title.gif since it was updated from version 1.1. Are there any other changes? I have a picture of Soviet troops in winter gear on my title.gif. Was there something new? Please send it to me if possible, thank you. And tell us of the differences between version 1.1 and 1.2.
Old December 12, 1999, 11:29   #12
Overdrive
Warlord

What is the rubble unit for?
Old December 12, 1999, 11:29   #13
Overdrive
Warlord

Although some of my above-mentioned questions stayed unanswered yet...here is my 2nd progress report(Jan 31st 43):

Dear Natacha,
Although I know that you are going through similar hardships in the factory, the situation on the frontline is, to say the least, demanding...
As you know, the Kreml Towers are still in the binoculars of Army Group Centre. The fascist forces have dug in in the outskirts of the capital and control all movement westwards. Twice this week, German panzers broke through and were stopped only meters from the Moscow Front HQ. I myself had a PPSh SMG put into my hands...
In the Arctic, the Murmansk-Leningrad Line is broken, and troops there depend on the convoys out of Britain.
The naval blockade of Leningrad hinders soviet plans in no way and the ennemy tanks are always transformed into brewed-out wrecks in the minefields and marshes around Narva and Luga.
Reinforcements gathered around the Voronezh Font are getting to jump-off positions to retake Kharkov and definetly encircle the German 6th Army in front of Stalingrad.
Last month's operations in the south offered us the easy capture of Kerch.
For now, Natacha, continue and do not fail your duties to the Rodina.
Love
Sergei

[This message has been edited by Overdrive (edited December 12, 1999).]
Old December 12, 1999, 14:53   #14
Captain Nemo
Prince

Overdrive:
Those reports are excellent! I must say if I hadn't designed the game they would make me want to play it!!

I am amazed that you were still holding the Zaporozhye-Voroshilovgrad-Kursk-Orel sector in what appeared to be winter 1941-42. I have always lost them by November 1941, up to and including Kharkov. What level do you play? Did you lose Rostov in 1942? Was Stalingrad threatened?

You are holding Leningrad solidly? What towns fell to the Finns? Was leningrad cut-off from reinforcements in the winter of 1941-1942 by German forces to the East?
How did Tallinn survive the summer of 1941??

The pontoon bridge is of course a Nazi trick to fall into the back of the Stalingrad defenders if you set up a defense line along the Don. It is supposed to make Stalingrad a little more difficult to hold in the summer of 1942. If not, I may work on that aspect for version 1.3? The pontoon bridge cannot be destroyed (Or, if you should succeed all you will see is the "plain" terrain that it covers, so the Germans will continue to cross the river at that point...) The bridge "breaks up" by itself when the river freezes in December 1942 and the land square returns to it's original ocean "form". The other solutions (Stationary sea transport, dropping land unit on sea square) did not work so I had to resort to this lousy trick.

Patience, the "rubble" will be used soon (Allied Bombing raids over Germany!!) along with the "rumble" of Allied Aircraft!

Mao:
I answered your question about version 1.1 vs 1.2 in Allard's Red Front 1.2 announcement thread.
Old December 12, 1999, 15:01   #15
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:51
What a pleasant song to wake to in Smolensk:

Vykhodila na bereg Katyusha,
na visoky bereg na krutoy . . .
na visoky bereg na krutoy!
Old December 12, 1999, 15:33   #16
Captain Nemo
Prince

Continued War Report from 2nd Post above.

The early spring of 1942 sees help arriving from the Allies through Iran. Those truck Convoys are used to create trade routes between the "oil-cities" of Maikop, Grosnyy and Baku. The resulting trade boost is incredible and finally puts my economy in the "black". I don't have to sell improvements anymore to stay afloat and keep the research in high gear.

The newly arrived refugees and many newly formed labor brigades are put to work by the Commissars to create industry squares around every city in the East... This in the middle of the winter! Those Commissars have no heart!

Research first focused on getting War Industry, then Mobile Warfare 2 (KV-1 tanks) then Aircraft (La-5s and Pe-2s).

The spring offensive is tough. Immediately Sevastopol is decimated by coordinated attacks by twin 60cm mortars and Wehrmacht SG squads. As soon as the weather clears 30 or more He-111 and wipe out the entire garrisson and the Black Sea Fleet. By the end of June Sevastopol falls. In Leningrad the defenders brace themselves against waves of "Hummels" streaming in from Narva, firing and retreating... No minefields to hold them back! The end is near...

And operation Blau starts rolling in the South...
More Later
Old December 12, 1999, 15:47   #17
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Overdrive, my compliments on the innovative way you made your progress report. Great job!
Old December 12, 1999, 16:06   #18
Overdrive
Warlord

Nemo:
I am playing on emperor level.
Southern Fronts
The Zaporozhye-Voroshilovgrad Line held tight although I lost Kherson, Perekop and Kerch. The last two, I liberated in Dec 42.
Due to this Line, the German Sixth army was forced to attack through a narrow corridor between Voroshilovgrad and Serafimovich. This vastly protected Rostov and Stalingrad. Nevertheless both cities were under constant attack and close to being overwhelmed quite often (Ger. troops coming off the pontoon??? By the way the bridge is still there, with frozen panzers that I cannot attack on it). Hedgehogs form an unbroken line along the west bank of the Don from Seraf. to Stalingrad.
À propos Karl: I got rid of it with my measly navy, especially kept for that purpose.
Central Fronts
German Army Group Centre was unbeatable till the end of Summer 42! Moscow was emptied off any units TWICE and I lost Demyansk and Kalinin which I never did in RF v.1.
But then the ennemy completely stopped his main Schwerpunkt and is now resolutely defending what he conquered (everything west of Moscow besides Kursk-Orel).
Leningrad Front
Leningrad was never under land attack (Feb 42) but suffered from naval and air attacks.
I lost Luga once but recaptured it (still under severe attack). German hedgehogs inside this circle of cities around Leningrad were most annoying (cost me 7 Katy. and numerous Naval Infantry). I never lost Narva neither Novgorod.
Arctic
I lost Kandalaksha, Kitela, Viipuri and Petsamo. Currently hoding Kanda. and Viipuri, besides Murmansk.
My tactic was to get Air Defenses up early (no KV heavies...), on emperor level I alsoget the time to do some trench working...

Thanx for the flowers, everyone. They are welcome.

Old December 12, 1999, 19:39   #19
Captain Nemo
Prince

Overdrive:
That's a very useful report. I wanted the game to go more or less along "Historical" lines until the end of 1942 when the Germans go into a defensive mode and it's up to the Human player to win the game by a good strategy.
I'll check on the pontoon bridge... It's weird, in my test game it was "broken up" by the freezing of the Don river but left an "Oilfield" terrain behind. Of course Germans coming off the bridge behind Soviet lines is a little weird but I was convinced no-one would hold on to the towns West of the Don by the spring of 1942.
Same with the Hedgehogs around Leningrad, the Germans should hold Narva, Luga and Novgorod when they set up the siege of Leningrad...

1) All my testplay was on Deity. Could it be that the Emperor level AI is less aggressive?

2) The siege of Leningrad hinges around the crucial capture of Tallinn by the 2nd or 3rd month of 1941 summer campaign. It was impossible for me to hold Tallinn and once Tallinn falls, the Luftwaffe hits the Leningrad perimeter relentlessly and Wehrmacht units quickly capture and fortify Narva and Luga. Novgorod may or may not fall in 1941, but all roads in an out of Leningrad are then blocked by Hedgehog fortified positions.

3) If Rostov doesn't fall the Caucasus is never threatened.

4) The German appearing on the bridge are just a "spearhead" for the main force that should move from Kharkov/Voroshilovgrad but of course if the main force isn't there, it's not going to happen.

5) For now, I will just assume that either you are better than the average Civ 2 player or the Emperor level AI is a wimp!
Old December 12, 1999, 20:14   #20
Overdrive
Warlord

I must be a wimp. Honestly, on deity, I'm never getting anywhere...
Old December 12, 1999, 21:09   #21
Captain Nemo
Prince

Overdrive:
Have you played THIS scenario on Deity?
It didn't seem impossible to me, though I always play regular games on King or Emperor... The German AI has so many units that he doesn't build any AT ALL until 1943 or 44. His strategy isn't any better on Deity, he just cheats more on the unit cost and economic production numbers. If he achieves the "Historical" targets his attack becomes more dilute, so my defense of Moscow was never as tough as the one you described (All the units destined for Tallinn-Narva must have been redirected to Army Group Center in your game)

On the pontoon bridge issue it appears that changing a terrain to anything but ocean destroys all the units and improvements on the square but with ocean terrain the units survive the "changeterrain" command. Could that be?

My game on deity went very much like history in 1941-1942, maybe because I "anticipate" what is going to happen and inadvertently help it happen. For example I know a main push on Tallinn is coming... I'm not going to let 2 NKVD troopers and a motorized infantry be slaughtered for nothing so I pull them back to Leningrad/Narva... Consequently Tallinn falls because it is poorly defended? That's why your (And other testplayer's) input is invaluable.

I lost all cities to the Leningrad-Kalinin-Moscow-Voronezh-Stalingrad-Maikop line by the end of the summer of 1942. I also lost Demyansk, Leningrad, Tikhvin, Voronezh and Saransk for a few months each at various time in 1942-1943. The winter counter-offensive of 1942 (Stalingrad) totally fizzled, being able to recapture only Orel and Kursk but neither Rostov nor achieving the destruction of the 6th army (Paulus' main force is hiding behind the "Hedgehogs" that line the West bank of the Don in the winter of 1942).

The summer of 1943 saw a major German offensive (Citadel) that actually made headway into the Voronezh-Saransk sector. Only the development of IL-2 aircraft and Su-152 Assault artillery allowed me to stop them just before winter. The winter of 1943-44 was the beginning of the turning point with Rostov, Kursk, Narva, Luga, Vipurii, Demyansk, Kholm, Daugapils, Velikeye Luki recaptured.

Spring 1944 is an explosion as the Soviets have reached "critical" mass (June 1944: 41 T-34/85, 8 KV-1s, 37 Katyusha, 36 Su-152, 39 Armored infantry, 65 Red Guards, 17 IL-2, 21 Yak-9 and more) and produce 20-30 more of the expensive attack units per month. Historically, the greatest offensive on the Eastern Front started exactly 3 years after Barbarossa, June 22, 1944... This coincided with the timing of the Soviet build-up in the game. In 3 turns I moved from Voloshirograd to Kirovgrad in the South, isolating Sevastopol and Kharkov. On the North front the Red Army advanced to Danzig and triggers the "Volksturm" technology. Only Tallinn remained in German hands, but completely isolated. The center offensive reached the outskirts of Minsk and Kiev. Partisans seized Bialostok behind enemy lines.
The next month Kiev, Tallinn and Minsk were taken. At this time the momentum shifts enough to "alarm" the AI and he builds Panzergrenadiers, Tigers and JagdPanthers everywhere. The city defenses now get real tough but I still managed to capture Warsaw, Lvov, Brest and the Baltic States are completely clear. I have 89 T34s, 90 Katyushas, 60 Su-152 and 37 JS-II tanks + tons of infantry. Now a strange obstacle gets in my way: WINTER!
It is amazing how annoying winter becomes once the Soviets get the upper hand... The Germans get extra time to build many defensive units and the Katyusha-launchers (Main city clearing weapon) seem to crawl forward.

So here it stands, March 1945: One isolated German pocket in Sevastopol. The Northern offensive has reached Berlin and Rostock but has been weakened by MANY Tiger II tanks striking back. Two successive assaults on Berlin have failed and cost the Soviets 20 Katyusha Launchers lost to fierce SS-Panzer counter attacks. The Southern advance stands at the Romanian border. The central front at Warsaw/Lublin. I now await spring so shiploads of new weapons can reach the front (I have established a shipping line from Novvy Port to Tobolsk that carries the production of Vorkuta down to a road connection point) There are at least 8 cities producing over 100 shields in the Ural region (Kirov is No.1 with 156, Uralsk No.2 with 137) the whole area is one big mess of factories!

Old December 12, 1999, 21:58   #22
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Wow,

This scenario is absolutely amazing, best ever! I'm just now getting into it.

I've been putting off playing the scenario until version 1.2. I originally downloaded version 1, and stopped the German advance cold. By the beginning of the winter, I had successfully neutralized the German advance on Odessa, Kiev, Minsk, and Tallinn. This kinda upsetted me. I loved all the artwork, but because the scenario was too easy I didn't think it was that great (I'm the kind of guy who likes scenarios to be as close to history as possible). I was going to post something about it, but I read you were making another version. So I quit playing and decided to patiently await the next version.

I downloaded version 1.2 last night, and just started playing it. I think the scenario is amazing now! This seems to be the first scenario where I'm actually in danger of losing my capital city. Right now it is the beginning of the winter. Last turn, the Germans took Narva and made some considerable gains in the south. There is a major armor force outside of Rostov, 2 Karls are on the lose and advancing towards Sevastapol (i cheated and saw that they had the goto command on and thats where they were headed). Although Smolensk remains free, it is completely encircled by armor. It would have fallen last turn but I had a couple AA batteries inside and several T-34s. Here is the amazing part. Every single city under my control to the west of the Don river, has German units 1 square away! Even cities behind Smolensk like Tula and Kaluga are threatend by Panzer divisions. I say this is amazing because the German armies are actually advancing, and not retreating in every direction. How did you do this? Did you actually get the goto command to work? Also, excellent work on the sounds. What movie did you take them from? One of your tanks sounds like it's from saving private ryan.

Are you going to make a German version? Please do!

Well anyways, there goes my hope of winning anything in the next HAC awards.

------------------
Canada sucks
France is worse.
Old December 12, 1999, 23:19   #23
Captain Nemo
Prince

Michael:
Glad to hear you like it. I am again surprised by someone's ability to stop the Germans in 1941. Smolensk should have been chopped up by August. Are you playing Deity level?
OFFICIAL RECOMMENDATION TO ANYONE PLAYING RED FRONT: THE GAME IS DESIGNED TO BE PLAYED ON DEITY LEVEL! Anything less may make the German AI's performance in 1941 sub-par.
The game can be played an won on Deity level!
The moveunit command works if you follow some basic rules:
Repeat commands frequently (Trigger them by technology=each turn, or unitkilled=several times per turn) Units are not always "free" to accept the command so repeating it often will "catch" more units.
Make sure the destination is NOT inside the unit selection area otherwise those units are permanently frozen at the destination and can't go on to the next point (If the move command is repeated on a unit that has reached it's destination, it will make the unit unavailable to receive another command until it has "moved" even though it doesn't actually move)
I think that there is a limit to the number of units that can receive move commands (Not sure?) so I give my highest priority commands first in the events file.
Make several small hops A>B>C>D rather than {ABC}>D seems to work better and "focus" the units on the targets.
Give the units the paradrop + all terrain + ign. ZOC when you want them to make quick gains.
Correct: Many sounds are from "Private Ryan". Rifles, "Schweinehunde!" + MG, Tank tracks + fire etc...
Old December 12, 1999, 23:42   #24
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Of course I'm playing on Deity.

Its now summer of 1942, beginning of Operation Blau. Sevastopol still holds out, Leningrad got devasted last turn and is still holding on by a thread. I have several T-34s in Smolensk and there seems to be no Germans in the area. I'll give you more of an update later.

Anyways, are you planning on making a German version?

------------------
Canada sucks
France is worse.
Old December 13, 1999, 05:32   #25
Captain Nemo
Prince

Michael:
German version: I wasn't intending to... It would be almost a completely new game since even the messages in the game.txt files are modified to fit a Soviet human player.
A soviet AI would never in a thousand years know how to build up the Ural region, move Convoys to Murmansk etc...
I will think about it but I liken it to making a Roman version of Spartacus...

So you are still holding Smolensk by the spring of 1942? Leningrad is under siege (GOOD!) Sevastopol also (GOOD!) How close are the Germans to the Don River? Kharkow? Voloshirograd? Rostov?

I look forward to hearing your next report. With you and Overdrive doing too well in 1941, there may be a version 1.3 soon to include a new idea I have for Stalingrad and an even tougher 1941 AI... (Maybe some "Wespe" and "Marder" units preceeding the "Hummels" and "Elephants"? One very significant German unit that I am missing is the "Hetzer")
Old December 13, 1999, 10:49   #26
Overdrive
Warlord

Nemo:
How come doing too well? I sacrificed most of my build-up in the Ural to faster research Air Defenses and buy units to hold the german offensives. This had for result only few german planes surviving summer of 42.
I am achieving nothing even closely matching your production numbers though.
It is Sept 43 and I am only researching War Productivity now...Here are the Wonders I managed to build up to now:
-Civilian Donations
-Tankograd
-Naval Convoy System (most unsuccessful this game...)
-NKVD Intel. Agency

By the way, Stalingrad has my highest production rating: 82 shields....
[This message has been edited by Overdrive (edited December 13, 1999).]
Old December 13, 1999, 15:45   #27
Captain Nemo
Prince

I have nothing against you doing well...
I just want to make the game a real challenge so it's difficult to win on deity. With Michael being able to hold SMOLENSK until the winter on Deity either he is too good or the AI is not tough enough. There is only one big drive for Moscow and it's in 1941 so it needs to really threaten Moscow...

The trick to shield production numbers is to use all the Labor brigades and the laborers (Ex-refugees) to build industry in every plain square within city radius. Only after the cities have been industrialized do I "join" the laborers to increase the city sizes. Kirov has 7 industry squares + the "Kirov Tank works" wonder. Uralsk has 8, Orenburg 6, Aralsk 6, Guryev 6 etc... Also Vorkuta, Magnitogorsk, Orsk and Zlatoust with the Bauxite and iron mines have loads of shields, same for Saransk with a coal mine and 5 industry squares. My first research goal was actually the Goelro Agency to build the Electrification wonder(Hoover Dam!)

May 1945... Berlin ist Kaputt! The final assault was incredible. The AI cheats worse and worse as it gets more and more desperate but I was prepared! 70 units gathered in Poznan attacked together. The Katyushas did not score many hits after all the Panzergrenadiers were hammered down to yellow strength bands. It got worse when the bands got into the red; it took in average 2 units to just get one hit! And then the bands were black, no red visible...and they still managed to wipe out attacking JS-II tanks...Umpire! Umpire! He's cheating!
But there were just too many Soviets. It was an extremely expensive assault. Lost at least 15 Katyushas and 25 tanks before the last SS was buried. Even after the bloodbath I had 95 T-34s, 65 Katyushas, and about 100 JsII/Su152 combined.

The nice thing is that once Berlin falls the Germans should fall apart.
I recommend editing rules9.txt to make Panzergrenadiers obsolete with Exp (Same as Ju-88, Wehrmacht SG, He-111, battleships etc...) By the time I took Berlin the AI had a total of 180 Panzergrenadier units! Which is unrealistic and makes further conquest almost impossible. Exp is a technology called "Military collapse" which is triggered on capture of Berlin. Making any unit obsolete will cause the AI to disband them all over the next 2-3 turns. The reason for this is that once Berlin is taken, wiping out the rest of Germany is tedious at best, but with all those Panzergrenadiers it is really tough.

Historically, once German defeat was unavoidable many German units stopped fighting and surrendered. "Military collapse" should still allow some mop-up operations and bloody fights with the SS-Tiger II tanks (They are nasty) but the ultimate defeat of Germany would be assured!

BTW Sevastopol is still in German hands after Berlin was annihilated.
Score is currently a "Marginal German defeat".
Old December 13, 1999, 20:12   #28
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Comrade Michelovich reporting:

Date: Jan 1943

Leningrad has fallen, along with the cities around it, up to Cherepovets. During the summer, Stalingrad was hit pretty hard. So was Gomel, Bryansk, Kursk. All of them held against the attacks, except Gomel. Serafimovich also fell which created a potential disaster. This city on the Don gives the Germans the ability to flank Stalingrad or penetrate east. The city directly east was destroyed (I don't remember the name). Serafimovich was taken by a Karl, which then fortified itself in the city. This destroyed the main road from Voronezh (which is one of my major tank producing cities) to Stalingrad. Maikop was threatened by a stray panzer unit every now and then, but was usually destroyed by attacking a fortified aa battery. Smolensk was attacked by many Wehmarcht SG divisions, but were slaughtered by my defending T-34/75s. Stalingrad held out from a freshing KV-1 via airlift from the Urals every other turn. Stalingrad itself was also producing KV-1s. These units either fortified themselves in the city or were used making counterassualts to clear the area. The Germans would destroy most of the reinforcements the city would get each turn, but that means that slowly the force inside stalingrad grew while under siege. Sevastopol is hanging on, and probably will survive. Although Kerch has fallen and I see a Karl a few squares away, Sevastopol has several AA batteries inside plus some infantry and a navy. Towards the end of I begin massing my troops to attack in 2 directions:

One force was the move from Kalinin and retake Demyansk, and slowly move towards Leningrad. This was to be acomplished with several Il-2s that would annihilate whatever is in the city and a few T-34/75s to take the city and fortify themselves. However, by the time I had 3 Il-2s, winter had settled in so I've decided to wait for the summer to make my move.

The other assualt was to open the road from Voronezh to Stalingrad, by retaking Serafimovich. However, there was a Karl fortified inside, behind anti tank defenses. It was a little weakend, but still on green. I saved the tanks produced in Voronezh during the summer for this offenses. It was 5 T-34/75s. I also had 3 Siberian reigments nearby and 2 red guards that I scraped together in the assualt. When I decided to launch the assualt during winter. So in the first month of winter, I discovered that I had gotten several T-34/85 units from events! I did not know this was going to happen, so I felt victory over the Karl would be certain. I attacked and lost 5 T-34/75s, my 3 Siberian regiments and 2 red guards. But then I used the 85s and 2 of them were destroyed. The 3rd one attacked and killed the karl! I used the last 2 to try and take the city, but there were many stukas inside! What I did next was move the T-34/85s from Stalingrad to finish off Serafimovich. I only needed 2 to accomplish the mission. I killed my first Karl, opened the road to stalingrad, and got a lot of gold for destroying the karl. I used this gold to help out the Ural cities.

The unpredictable arrival of the 85s also lead me to conduct another offensive. This was to retake Gomel. It seems that my light tanks were upgraded to 85s. I had several light tanks inside Smolensk. I had partisans and red guards move out of the Pripet marshes to begin the initial assualt on gomel. They destroyed a unit or two, and weakened several others. Then I moved in with the 85s from Smolensk and crushed the defenders.

I plan on retaking Rostov this winter with my forces in Stalingrad. Other than that I'm going to reinforce the front lines at Gomel and Kursk, and wait for summer before I launch my northern offense (that way the Il-2s can help me out).

All this time I've been concentrating a lot of the Urals. During the summer they produce a lot of shields, but during the winter I move production off the mountain resources to the grasslands so the people don't starve. Most of the Ural cities are still building either power plants or ammunition plants. After that I plan on having them build barracks and airports and then my final offensive into the heart of Germany may beging. Until then I'm keeping my offensive ambitions low. My current research rate is 3 turns. I'm researching war productivity. I can build Il-2, bombers and Yaks. I can't build 85 tanks yet, and I'm going to wait a little longer before I research them.

Moscow hasn't been threatend, except for a stray Wehmarcht SG from Vitebsk every now and then.

Captain Nemo, if you want to see how my game is going, send me an email, michael@jeszenka.com . Sorry but I lost yours. This is going to be one of those very few scenarios that I will actually play to the end.

------------------
Canada sucks
France is worse

Assassin of the Anarchist Supreme of the Disgracefull PROT!
Old December 14, 1999, 21:51   #29
Captain Nemo
Prince

Continued great response to this scenario!!
Thank you all for being so enthusiastic!
I am considering making an upgrade to version 1.3 before I quit tinkering with this one... What do you think and what could be improved?
Old December 15, 1999, 23:58   #30
Overdrive
Warlord

Maybe add several different start points (saved games) to the scenario:
-Barbarossa
-Taifun
-Blau
etc.