Old August 15, 2003, 14:24   #1
MysteryMan
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Maximization of tiles around cities
SITUATION: You have a city surrounded by, say jungle. You clear out the jungle and get grasslands. Some of these have shields and some don't.
QUESTION: Is this random? If you reforest and clear again, can you get grasslands without shields to become grasslands with shields?
QUESTION: Can you get 'free' luxuries/resources this way?
If so, this would seem to be a good use for those workers who are idling around after everything is done...
Old August 15, 2003, 15:08   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 00:26
1st question: No, it is part of the set parameters when the map is first generated. Look at jungles and forests as an "overlay" of the grassland and plains tiles. No matter how many times you try and chop, rebuild, chop, the underlaying tile will remain the same. And you also can't get free shields from multiple forest chops on the same tile.

2nd question: No luxuries/resources are predetermined. Strategic resources will of course occasionally disappear and reappear elsewhere, but you can't find a free one from chopping jungle or forest.
Old August 19, 2003, 09:37   #3
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 08:26
Slightly OT, but jungles take so much time to chop, that they should offer something. In real life jungles too aren't worthless. So let's have them give wood (like forrest) or a perhaps better differentiation: gold coins to your treasury.

AJ
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old August 20, 2003, 13:57   #4
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:26
Sheesh, Rhothaerill. We could have had MysteryMan planting and clearing forest for years if you hadn't a told him the truth.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; August 20, 2003 at 15:22.
Old August 20, 2003, 14:06   #5
MysteryMan
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:26
hey!
I don't have the TIME to sit around and figure this stuff out for myself! That's why I posted here, I was sure there would be someone who DID.