I accidently downloaded it.

I don't recommend doing that.
Old September 30, 2003, 05:52   #242
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 08:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ach, this really needs to be sorted out. We must protect people like Diss from accidents.
Old September 30, 2003, 13:03   #243
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:36
If you download gator then simply uninstall it through the find/remove programs then use system restore to restore your system files to when you shut down yesterday. It worked for me.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 30, 2003, 13:13   #244
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 07:36
When you uninstall gator, it will install the Price Buddy, or at least it used to. Make sure after you uninstall it that you recheck Add/Remove for other spyware. Also, make sure you eliminate all settings at uninstall to ensure all your passwords are removed from its cache. After all this, run Adaware.
Old September 30, 2003, 13:28   #245
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 02:36
Got it again...
Got the webpdp.gator thing again just now.

I've been watching for popups whenever linking within Poly, and noted the following page headers in the popup (which disappeared down to the taskbar once they had run)

about:blank -- presumably the name of the ad supplier and probably legit.

Then that went away, replaced on the header line by one that briefly read...

z1.adserver...(and more I couldn't catch before it disappeared) -- I suspect this is the guy who's letting gator hitch a ride onto Poly via legit ads.

Since I'm on a corporate system using mandated IE, I get gatored at least once daily.

Fellow observers -- Instead of clicking off popups as they occur, go ahead, let them fully load. Note the page header description. Legit popup ads will stay and can be clicked off without problem. The gator guys cycle through a sequence prior to dropping onto your taskbar that (I think* ) needs to be observed and documented in order for Dan and Mark to ID the problem.

(* or not...)

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old September 30, 2003, 14:15   #246
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Yup its back ...

Sorry - didn't catch the pop-up - but there was one without a title that popped-up off the screen!

Stu
Old September 30, 2003, 19:57   #247
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Got it again, and I concur with Jrabbit - z1.adserver is definately associated with the Gator program.
Old September 30, 2003, 21:22   #248
Harry Tuttle
SporeScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Yup, I got one while trying to change my user options, just now.
Old October 1, 2003, 02:45   #249
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:36
Got this pop up just before gator showed up...

btw, I never get gator unless i am on poly. Other sites do not matter a bit. With them or without them, I get gator only when changing views on Poly.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	000000.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	54241  
Old October 1, 2003, 03:07   #250
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

I just had something a bit odd happening. Normally after I close the gator pop-up, a couple of other ads appear. Not this time. I got gator pop-up, cancelled it and nothing more poped up.

There was the webpdp.gator links in my history and this link, although I have not seen the pop-up that comes with this (I might have just cancelled it but I dont remember)

http://media.popuptraffic.com/script...pl=enigPU.tmpl
Old October 1, 2003, 05:49   #251
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:36
Did anybody listen to me?

Are you having problems with regular styles or special styles? If you don't have a problem with regular styles, it has to be one of the popup ads.
Old October 1, 2003, 06:42   #252
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I can confirm a gator pop on Apolyton. Closed it without trying to locate the offender, but it definitely happened.
Old October 1, 2003, 08:25   #253
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Got this pop up just before gator showed up...

btw, I never get gator unless i am on poly. Other sites do not matter a bit. With them or without them, I get gator only when changing views on Poly.
I got the same header with a different "hid=" code...

media.popuptraffic.com/scripts/popup.php?hid=f60b5714961b9385ba898tmpl=rydium.tm. ..

I assume the trailing number string is quasi-random...

Old October 1, 2003, 11:27   #254
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Just got it!
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old October 1, 2003, 15:23   #255
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 09:36
Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
I can confirm a gator pop on Apolyton. Closed it without trying to locate the offender, but it definitely happened.
Hey...moomin. Long time no see

Asmodean
Old October 1, 2003, 22:04   #256
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Did anybody listen to me?

Are you having problems with regular styles or special styles? If you don't have a problem with regular styles, it has to be one of the popup ads.
No, I didn't read the whole thread. Sorry.

I am using default-special.
Old October 1, 2003, 23:41   #257
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Sceen Shot

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Wittlich/Gator.jpg

Last edited by Wittlich; October 1, 2003 at 23:51.
Old October 1, 2003, 23:53   #258
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 03:36
Got a pop-up blocker and am prompting for cookies.

Had to do it because this stuff has gotten to the point of obnoxious. How many times do I really need to see that same Britaney Speers pop-up?
Old October 2, 2003, 00:02   #259
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Ok, the above link is a snapshot of my Temporary Internet Files (Cookies) directory. I've been keeping it cleaned out waiting for Gator to strike again...and it didn't let me down.

As shown on this snapshot, at 10/1/2003 8:18PM Gator was logged (Cookie:Troy@gator.com) at the same moment 10/1/2003 8:18PM z1.adserver (Cookie:Troy@z1.adserver.net) was also logged.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that z1.adserver is the advertiser responsible for gator terrorizing Apolyton of late.

Dan, if this isn't enough information, then quite frankly I believe that you do not want to end your dealings with z1.adserver - for what ever reason.

This may sound rather harsh, but z1.adserver has been reported in the past as a possible culprit, but for some reason has been ignored or was responded to as not having enough information to accuse z1.adserver. Well, here's the smoking gun.
Old October 2, 2003, 02:27   #260
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Alright get rid of Gator

But keep the Britney popup

Mis Novias
Old October 2, 2003, 03:56   #261
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:36
Wittlich: Why don't you either start using Opera or download the google bar that blocks ads - at least until this gator problem is fixed. If that isn't possible, follow UR's advice and change your style to not show popups.
Old October 2, 2003, 04:57   #262
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Still there - still with a pop-up off the screen

Stu
Old October 2, 2003, 05:04   #263
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Gator is plague. Evil.
Old October 2, 2003, 08:29   #264
-Jrabbit
Deity

Well done, Wittlich!!

Old October 2, 2003, 08:39   #265
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Dan, if this isn't enough information, then quite frankly I believe that you do not want to end your dealings with z1.adserver - for what ever reason.
"z1.adserver.net" is just the name of a computer at adserver.net, which might not be a company that directly deals with ACS.
Old October 2, 2003, 08:40   #266
Ecthy
Emperor

I use opera myself, so I have no problems with popups
Old October 2, 2003, 09:23   #267
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

"z1.adserver.net" is just the name of a computer at adserver.net, which might not be a company that directly deals with ACS.
This might be so, but Dan could still block z1.adserver's access to Apolyton.
Old October 2, 2003, 09:36   #268
Ecthy
Emperor

I don't know if he has the right to block a server. It's like just taking away an ad banner...
Old October 2, 2003, 12:35   #269
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Well, it's his site. IMO, he has every right to block offending servers.
Old October 2, 2003, 15:10   #270
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

ANd again!
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.