Old January 13, 2000, 20:02   #1
Djugashvili
Emperor

Local Time: 05:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How many cities is too many cities?
I've been placing cities on a map for The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, and I've noticed something: There's a LOT of them!

I wanted a lot of cities so it wouldn't be a cakewalk perhaps trying to conquer them for the Soviets, but I'm already up to 150+ and the US, China, and many other places have little-to-no cities! I was looking to where I could cut back on some, but I can't find any.

Also, would you mind playing on a map with many cities?? It's not THAT many, I mean, you CAN go two squares w/out finding another one, but it's still pretty crowded, ESPECIALLY in Europe.

What do you think I could do??
Please help!

------------------
"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present, controls the past."
Old January 13, 2000, 20:31   #2
Civfan
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Might focus abit more on the important cities of the scene. The large cities and so forth if you wish to cut down that number with the soviets.
Old January 13, 2000, 21:36   #3
Phoenix
Prince

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I would say realistically try to avoid having 60 or more cities if you want the player to actually use them. However since you've already gone this far I think that (crap I forget your name) is right in that you should concentrate on the big cities and make the others self sustaining. Be very sure there are no shortages, starvations, selling of improvements, disorders, etc to start the game off with because that would be pure hell!

------------------
My life has no purpose...My life has no direction...No Aim...No Meaning...And yet I'm Happy...I can't figure it out...What am I doing right? -Snoopy-
Old January 13, 2000, 23:20   #4
Djugashvili
Emperor

Yeah, you guys are probably right.
I think I'll have to cut back on cities and just make them harder to take (quality over quantity).

And I was in fact planning to have a few food shortages and civil disorders in some Bolshevik cities at the outset to represent the chaos of the revolution and the wars which took place during that period. Not severely widespread, however...
Old January 14, 2000, 02:02   #5
Fast_Eddie

Only use lots of cities if you have to make research faster and to raise the ammount of gold the civ makes.

BTW, I love the Snoopy quote!

Old January 14, 2000, 14:11   #6
Phoenix
Prince

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Muchas Gracias

------------------
My life has no purpose...My life has no direction...No Aim...No Meaning...And yet I'm Happy...I can't figure it out...What am I doing right? -Snoopy-
Old January 14, 2000, 19:10   #7
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 06:52
You want to be careful, because I think there`s an upper limit to how many cities you can have in one game (i don`t know what it is). It`s like the limit on units, but I`ve only come across that in two scenarios (the Second Reich and Underdark).
Old January 14, 2000, 19:12   #8
Djugashvili
Emperor

The limit is 255 cities.

Otherwise, I would cram the map with them and wait until somebody told me there were too many...