Old August 21, 2003, 05:06   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How active is the team game?
OK, I found myself recently longing for a SMAC/X DG, and so was considering joining a team and seeing if I could catch up.

Then Darkness' Edge turned up in chat (right now!) and we started discussing the idea of a REAL DG again. No crap teams, no subforums - just a game like the first one.

There is a lot of scope here - many untried factions, many victory conditions unexplored.... so what do people think? If you just want to have a good ole' traditional DG like everywhere else on the site, let us know, and we'll see if there's enough interest to sort out a new one.

Should we go without SPs this time? Or without certain SE choices? Or do we have to win a certain way? No crawlers..?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 21, 2003, 05:13   #2
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 18:39
I'd really like to see this happen. I've got a lot of spare time at the moment, and I'd like to get another game going along the lines of the original.

Different faction, for starters. No crawlers, no SPs...would make things more challenging.

Anyone else interested?
Old August 21, 2003, 05:35   #3
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 17:39
It would certainly start the public forum moving again.

Maybe you could enlist a few people, then run it in the main forum. I'm sure that some people from the ACDG2 will play while they're waiting for the turns.
Old August 21, 2003, 05:58   #4
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Yes, if you could find a way to make this work alongside the current team DG, I'd be up for it - and commandeering the main forum might at least induce the Hive to stop spamming it with their endless issues of Pravda...
Old August 21, 2003, 06:10   #5
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Yeah some of the pravda issues are pretty desperate.

Although it's better than having an inactive forum.
Old August 21, 2003, 06:25   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 07:39
I'm up for it too

I'd keep SPs in, they're good. How about simply getting Googlie tp beef up the AI a lot. Normal DG, but with very hard AI?

Although nothing that will take away from the team ACDG2. I don't think it will, but I just wanted to say

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old August 21, 2003, 06:31   #7
Kody
Emperor

What could be interesting would be having a few human players playing some of the opponents, and then having one faction being run by the ACDG.

The human players will be much more challenging.
Old August 21, 2003, 06:44   #8
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

I wonder if the play & switch scheme is workable under ACDG in order to help give the AI some solid base.
Old August 21, 2003, 07:52   #9
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

What I'm proposing (and I believe MWIA is with me on this) is to create a new forum if need be (I'd prefer this one was renamed to "Team DG" or something to match other games, but whatever), and run an original-style game alongside this one. I'd be against having any human teams in that - lets leave them for the team game.

Harder AI would be cool. I also like the idea of disallowing crawlers as well though.
Old August 21, 2003, 09:25   #10
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

I agree with DE on all but the name. Not sure about disallowing crawlers with harder AI. Have you seen how souped up Googlie can do them?

Old August 21, 2003, 10:42   #11
Vander
ACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 SunshineAlpha Centauri Democracy GameMacCivilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Morgan
Prince

Local Time: 00:39
Whatever we do, I'm up for joining in on the fun.
and then refusing to decide
Old August 21, 2003, 10:51   #12
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 01:39
Sounds like fun!

Grapefruit Garden
Old August 21, 2003, 12:47   #13
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:39
Quote:
and commandeering the main forum might at least induce the Hive to stop spamming it with their endless issues of Pravda...
Well I prefer endless issues of Pravda over no issues of the PUT newspaper. But sometimes I agree they are emphasizing quantity over quality too much.

Anyway, I don't think I would be participating in another original-style ACDG. Not only would the low level of AI competition make it way more boring than a team game, I also wouldn't like to play a plain SMAC ACDG, which I assume it would be if Darkness' Edge joins. Therefore, if you guys want me, I would be available to play a rival faction (on my own, so not as another team), giving you some more serious competition than the AIs. Sure, the AI could be beefed up a little as well, but they would only be competitive because they can cheat so much.
Old August 21, 2003, 15:09   #14
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Sure, the AI could be beefed up a little as well, but they would only be competitive because they can cheat so much.
Well - now there's a challenge for a scenario designer (assuming, of course, that you're not equating "beefing up" with "cheating" .... )

eg: a scenario'd PBEM can be created whereby an AI Morgan is almost a sure lock to corner the energy market, or where Santiago will make a mid 2200's chop and drop attack on an enemy faction

It all depends on how humiliated the human players want to be

G.
Old August 21, 2003, 15:52   #15
Drogue
staff

As humiliated as possible I like a challenge

Old August 21, 2003, 16:05   #16
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Go WILD Googlie, make it almost impossible, start the faction in the desert dunes, on a small island with no bonuses, give all the AI +5 econ and free faculties rec tanks, rec commons and network node. Muck around with the files so they build masses of choppers and probe foils, etc etc. Lets see what you're capable of...

I really like the idea of all the SMAC players on this board together agaist the evilness of Googlie

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old August 21, 2003, 16:29   #17
Drogue
staff

Nah. That's a bit cheating. But you could RP that they land near the Unity Wreckage, and so can salvage the computer whereas we can't (they get map). Then you could give them a better start, and get them to use their advantages better. That sorta thing

Old August 21, 2003, 16:32   #18
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

The AI knows the map anyway Drogue, its the only way the pathfinding can cope. nice RP idea though. Perhaps if the AI is set into two big perma-pacts of 3 factions then they won't waste so much time and so many resources fighting each other FOR THE WHOLE FLIPPING GAME! (sorry just my current SMAC thing)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old August 21, 2003, 16:45   #19
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:39
Quote:
eg: a scenario'd PBEM can be created whereby an AI Morgan is almost a sure lock to corner the energy market, or where Santiago will make a mid 2200's chop and drop attack on an enemy faction
Without giving them extra bases, energy, formers or terraformations at the start? Without making submissive research factions for Santiago? Just, starting in the same position as humans, with only modifying the AI preferences or adding some prebuilt units to the alphax.txt (eg a probe cruiser)?
Old August 21, 2003, 20:09   #20
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

So, we've gone from mad about spam to pure suicidal.

Sounds like fun. I might be in.
Old August 21, 2003, 20:12   #21
Vev
King

I love a challenge. Perhaps we can place bets on when we would be crushed by Googlie's hordes.
Old August 21, 2003, 20:37   #22
Darkness' Edge
Prince

So, in favour of doing this, we have...

Darkness' Edge
MrWhereItsAt
GeneralTacticus
Drogue
Vander
HongHu
Vev
Jamski?
Octavian X?

It'd be good if we could get a forum for this, so it doesn't get mixed up with the team ACDG.
Old August 21, 2003, 20:43   #23
Kody
Emperor

I wouldn't mind joining in, but whether I stay depends on how much I enjoy it.
Old August 21, 2003, 20:54   #24
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 02:39
If you go with the variation Drogue suggested earlier, I'd be willing to play another faction too; you wouldn't even need to give me a beefed up faction (As Googs would for the AI) .

(Would the single players get to look at all the spam discussions about what to do and all?)
Old August 21, 2003, 20:56   #25
Kody
Emperor

Hey that was my idea!!!

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...76#post2277676

Ofcourse I realise there will be a plumenting popularity for the idea now.
Old August 21, 2003, 21:00   #26
Vev
King

If it is a pure single player, Googlie can perform an odd tweak now and then to nudge the AI from doing something stupid.
Old August 21, 2003, 21:53   #27
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Not a bad idea, I would support it. The team game, though fun, lacks the politics of the first game. Only this time we keep the parties.
Old August 21, 2003, 22:04   #28
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

I expect that once all the teams have met (in game) and planetary council votes go into full swing, the politicking and bickering between the teams will come back, with a vengance.
Old August 21, 2003, 22:14   #29
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X
I expect that once all the teams have met (in game) and planetary council votes go into full swing, the politicking and bickering between the teams will come back, with a vengance.
I certainly hope so.
Old August 21, 2003, 22:25   #30
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 08:39
That's my view also.