Old January 11, 2000, 21:14   #1
NickC
Prince

Local Time: 05:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Civ Scenario Creation Team Update
Yes, yes, friends. We have an update! We got THE FIRST SCREENSHOT OF AUFSTIEG! It is a map done by Michael Dauman, and has cities placed by John Petroski. Aufstieg is going GREAT, and out latest progress report is:

map made
cities placed
sounds chosen, not recorded just yet
some units
more I don't know of, haven't asked all the team

Well, happy 2000, and enjoy the first screenshot!
Old January 11, 2000, 21:43   #2
MarkG

posting the link again would help

Old January 11, 2000, 22:12   #3
Djugashvili
Emperor

Hey, that's a pretty good map, but the proportions are going to take some getting used too...

And I don't wanna ask too many questions, but what are those big lakes in Africa for?

------------------
"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present, controls the past."
Old January 11, 2000, 22:12   #4
Cam
King

Local Time: 15:22
members.xoom.com/crownciv/creation.html
Old January 11, 2000, 22:41   #5
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:52
They will be filled over with pollution that looks like desert. Why? To simulate the Qattar depression, which should be off limits to ground units but passable by air units.

In the large window the map looks better, I promise
Old January 11, 2000, 22:43   #6
Djugashvili
Emperor

That's pretty nifty...

But why couldn't the Qattar depression be passed by troops? Just asking.
[This message has been edited by Djugashvili (edited January 11, 2000).]
Old January 11, 2000, 23:31   #7
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:52
As far as I know, it was a huge dessert which mechanized forces couldn't pass and it'd take too long for foot-infantry.
Old January 12, 2000, 02:58   #8
Djugashvili
Emperor

Those lakes in Finland look a little funny, Denmmark is too angular, and the cities are arranged in a manner which isn't exactly pleasing to the eye, IMO, but that's all I have to say.

If you've read some of my other posts, you'll know how much of a map-perfectionist I am. Just some friendly commentary...
Old January 12, 2000, 05:30   #9
Fast_Eddie

I dunno what you're talking about! The map is done very well, and MD knows how many times I've rearranged the cities on the North Pole map! Quit yer complainin!
[This message has been edited by Fast_Eddie (edited January 12, 2000).]

Old January 12, 2000, 07:48   #10
DarthVeda
Emperor

That's hillarious.

This is the whole map? I certainly hope this is meant for play by Germany, Britain, and Russia only.

Scandanavia needs some major work. It looks way too smooth. Same with finland.

The Iberian penninsula is passable, but the north cape of Africa needs some work.

Why are the allies in control of Iraq??!?!

Why is southern france under neutral control. Sure, it was this way after germany vanquished them, but not at the start of the war.

I hope that's poland crammed in there under German control. It wouldn't make any sense to have a Russian poland.
Old January 12, 2000, 18:08   #11
NickC
Prince

THE SCENARIO IS PLAYABLE ONLY BY GERMANY!

DarthVeda, if you were a true WW2 buff, you'd know the word AUFSTIEG, now wouldn't you?

D, the map is fine in those places.
DarthVeda, Scandanavia and Finland are fine, in my eyes.

Everyone, the map is by all means (the terrain at least) PERFECT...

BTW, on the SLeague newsletter, I am posting a few things on the C2SCT.
Old January 12, 2000, 20:35   #12
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

PERFECT?

now c'mon why'd you have to go and say that? Now everyone's gonna look at the scenario and look for some little misplaced desert square just to prove you wrong...

It seems to be a trend that most people can't stand others saying anything is "perfect" and must prove them wrong.
Old January 12, 2000, 21:05   #13
Phoenix
Prince

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
So...we have a scenario promised to be the best ww2 scenario ever. And its playable only by germany.

Why does this sound familiar?

------------------
My life has no purpose...My life has no direction...No Aim...No Meaning...And yet I'm Happy...I can't figure it out...What am I doing right? -Snoopy-
Old January 12, 2000, 21:52   #14
Djugashvili
Emperor

Cue the inflamatory NickC post...
...NOW!
Old January 12, 2000, 21:55   #15
Archangel

I'm glad its not for ToT.

Old January 12, 2000, 22:02   #16
NickC
Prince

I also said as far as my eyes can tell, I don't know jack **** about Europe in WW2.

And, we JUST distinguished that the extra lakes in the desert are for a special pollution-type terrain. *listen*

And, JP, I know, I know, but this must be said:

Mr.Temba *Pheonix?* is the most obnoxious person? alive.
I'm sure he's heard that *once or twice* before.
Old January 13, 2000, 11:19   #17
JPetroski
Prince

Ok everyone, here are the answers to your questions. The scenario is still very low in production, but it is turning out great. You'll see.

Ok here are some answers: This scenario as of now is only playable as Germany. The map is fine for this purpose, and is a new one, very well done by Mike Daumen. I have to say that once you start playing the scenario you should love it.

The allies are in control of Iraq just for historical playability reasons. I know that the British did not take it over for the War right away, but it is just easier like this since later on in the game we will simulate the Iraqi uprising, and the British taking over completely. Perhaps we could make Iraq barbarian right now but who knows? I think that this is just the easier way to go since the Allies are AI.

Southern France is NOT in neutral control, even though it might look like that. It's just that the city colors between Vichy France, and the Neutrals are similar. Vichy France as a nation and thus the combining of Britain and France (non Vichy) as one just makes for better playability. It's the best way to simulate Vichy France without taking up another precious unit space. Besides, this way we can show when the Germans take over the southern half of france and when the Allies land in Africa and have to fight the Vichy French somewhat.

Poland is only temporarily under German control until I have the Barbarians (renamed Baltic States) take over Poland. Just deal with it for now, this is an early screen shot ok?

As for the cities not being arranged right, well they probably are not, but that is my fault alone. If Fast Eddie wants to "proof city" the map, he is more than welcome to help the team out and do so. I think it would help out the scenario alot. Fast Eddie, you just send me an email and ill send you the scenario so you can take a look at it.

As for the Quattara depression, that has been explained, but the Westernmost "lake" is simply an "impassable" terrain so that I can make sure that the Brits have to confront the Germans at the Mareth line rather than avoid it by going into the desert and flanking the German positions.

Hey, this scenario will not be perfect, none are. But, we will try.

As a final note, Mr Temba is invited to exit any and all conversations having to do with Aufstieg as he has blatantly expressed his view over and over that he hates WW2 scenarios and I dont see any good with having a person like this in a healthy thread which should be used to better the scenario, not degrade it. Thank you.

------------------
John Petroski
JPski7@aol.com
Old January 13, 2000, 17:50   #18
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

This scenario as of now is only playable as Germany.

The Balkans look like a fun Civ.:-)

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old January 13, 2000, 18:36   #19
Fast_Eddie

Woohoo! City Proofing! Yeah!

BTW, I hereby officially challenge St. Leo to a MP contest! He can be the Balkans and I get, errr, Neutrals...

Old January 13, 2000, 19:59   #20
Phoenix
Prince

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
First the easy one, no Nick, no one has ever called me obnoxious in my life, you are the first. I do seem to remember half the people who post here calling you obnoxious, though. I think thats called being a projectionist.

Now the one worth talking to. John, I seem to remember a scenario called Anstieg that you asked for my comments on and I sent them. You seemed to welcome comments that would make the sceanrio better then, why do you not want to hear them now? I even sent you an email with detailed descriptions of where the problems occured. Also the whole "oh its that kid he'll hate it no matter what" is bullshit, as captain nemo will testify because I absolutely loved red front and it is only because i don't spend much time on my comptuer that I don't play it more. If you don't want critical comments about your sceanrio then why didn't you entitle the thread "here is my new project, but you can only say good things about it." perhaps you have noticed the trend i have, when a scenario is only playable as germany its not fun. Alexs Global scenario showed how actually putting several different playable tribes into a scenario can make it fun. I liked that one too. I even enjoyed Third Reich for a few turns. Are you going to make this scenario and then totally ignore opinions about it then, too? I can't see how someone like you could possibly do that and I hope this is all some sort of misunderstanding.

------------------
My life has no purpose...My life has no direction...No Aim...No Meaning...And yet I'm Happy...I can't figure it out...What am I doing right? -Snoopy-
Old January 15, 2000, 01:12   #21
NickC
Prince

Mr.Temba, simple, mature come back to you: *ignore* which is what I am going to do from here on to ya in this thread. I suggest everyone else do this as well.
Old January 15, 2000, 04:27   #22
Fast_Eddie

so...I've actually SEEN the map, and it's a very good map for the European Theatre of World War II. I've been checking the cities, and Djuggy, Darthy, and Maoy (that's strange...), can all sleep tonight knowing that the map is fine.

Old January 15, 2000, 09:57   #23
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Eddie, I want in on this MP thing! I'll be...the...errr....Vichy!
Old January 15, 2000, 11:54   #24
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Maoy
woohoo! I'm recognized!
Old January 15, 2000, 12:26   #25
JPetroski
Prince

Ah Mr Temba,
Well, I just thought that your first post was not a very pleasent one, well actually a punch below the belt. I had to reason that more would follow in the long run so I said what I said.

I'll warn you right now, this scenario, you will hate Mr Temba, unless, you can get by the long turns. Actually though, the first turn will not be long at all, they will not start to get long until far (turn wise) into the scenario, and by then hopefully you will be hooked.

Temba, if you want to help the scenario you are welcome, but if you are going to degrade it (and you are prone to do so in many cases, no offense), then at least wait until it is out, ok?

Thank you,

------------------
John Petroski
JPski7@aol.com
Old January 15, 2000, 15:20   #26
DarthVeda
Emperor

JP: Shut Nick up before he makes the rest of the team look like asses.
Old January 15, 2000, 19:21   #27
NickC
Prince

JP: He must love long turns if he loves Red Front.

DarthVeda: Your an ass (given, of course, mainly you), Mr.Temba's an ass, so why can't I be an ass? *ignore*
Old January 15, 2000, 19:44   #28
Fast_Eddie

Okay, we've got two in for an MP game...will Leo play?

Old January 15, 2000, 19:54   #29
DarthVeda
Emperor

There will be no mercy when this thing arrives for review at Sleague.
Old January 16, 2000, 14:07   #30
NickC
Prince

Quote:
There will be no mercy when this thing arrives for review at Sleague.
I am saving this into my computer, to prove to everyone and Blackclove that any review you do on this scenario will be non-professional and unfair, just because you hate me. Thanks, DV, I hope Blackclove doesn't accept any reviews you do, seing the quote above.