View Poll Results: What do you recon of Enterprise!
I love it! It's an awesome continuation of the Trek saga! 12 35.29%
It's OK, boldly going to places everybody's been. 11 32.35%
It's an insult to Trek and all it stands for! 8 23.53%
Why oh why do we allow you people in here? Can't the mods ban you nerds? 0 0%
AAARGH!! I hate all Trek! I hate all nerds! DIE DIE DIE!!!! 2 5.88%
Banana Trek what? What the hell are you on about?! 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 22, 2003, 22:29   #31
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 03:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tassadar:

like i said... i think this enterprise is a step back towards the original series in its accessibility to most people...
Old August 22, 2003, 22:44   #32
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
And no Wesley either

The dog is a step up from Wesley, Neelix and Kess
...and has more personality.
Old August 22, 2003, 22:53   #33
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 02:42
Do any of you star trek freaks know if Enterprise will be comming out on DVD?
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 22, 2003, 23:06   #34
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The first season started off strong but then sucked bad.

Season 2 wasn't even worth watching, man it put me to sleep.

Now season 3 has started off strong, though, I thought it was kind of a cop out to have to bring in the Borg to spice things up. Next thing you know there is going to be another chick in a bodysuit with big boobs to boost ratings.

Mis Novias
Old August 22, 2003, 23:21   #35
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Ted:

or they'll have the alien woman on enterprise start wearing a mini-skirt and a cleavage-showing shirt like the women on the original series...

haha... Enterprise is looking more and more like the original series with William Shatner
Old August 22, 2003, 23:31   #36
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

I am not going to bother until Trip gets killed off.

That guy really irritates me.
Old August 22, 2003, 23:36   #37
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

trip is the engineer right? the naive country boy kind of guy? but in all seriousness, if somebody's going to die i bet you its the pilot... on the side enough that his death won't **** up the story but in the fore-front enough that his death will be a big deal...
Old August 23, 2003, 00:05   #38
Sprayber
Emperor

I guess everyone has me on ignore.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 23, 2003, 00:08   #39
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Sprayber:

several posts before you i asked the question if the federation is the military of the future and no one responded yet... so don't feel too bad. i must be on ignore too
Old August 23, 2003, 00:23   #40
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 01:42
**shrug** I must be in the minority, but I did enjoy the Borg episode, "Regeneration." IMO, it was a nice wrap-up to the events that were seemingly initiated when Picard, et al., were hurled by Q into System J-25, where they, as reps for the Federation, "officially" encountered the Borg for the first time.

As we all know now, Picard wasn't the first human to knowingly encounter the Borg — that honor went to the Hansens — but, nonetheless, ENT's "Regeneration" was a decent wrap-up to that whole line of events initiated by Q.

Anyway, it looks like the Borg in the Delta Quadrant received that transmission and were slowly making their way towards the Alpha Quadrant, even as early as "Generations," where we encounter Guinan as a refugee fleeing the recent destruction of her world at the hands of the Borg (and her world must have been somewhere in the Beta Quadrant).

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old August 23, 2003, 00:29   #41
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

i liked that episode Gatekeeper but I got lost after you said, "but I did enjoy the Borg Episode"...
Old August 23, 2003, 00:30   #42
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
Sprayber:

several posts before you i asked the question if the federation is the military of the future and no one responded yet... so don't feel too bad. i must be on ignore too
The answer to that question is kind of fuzzy. In some episodes the comment has been made that Starfleet is not a regular military institution. Exploration is considered its main duty and only used in defense as a last resort. (part of the whole idea that humans had evolved to a point to where war had lost it's hold on humanity) I got that feeling more during the TNG and early DS9 years. In later episodes you kind of got the feeling that many people in starfleet joined not for exploration but for the chance to see some action.

As to the nature of the Federation. It seems that the Federation was founded by humans, vulcans, tellarites (the ones that look like pigs) and the andorians with the humans and vulcans taking the lead on most issues. All this took place after the events in Enterprise. Or at least that is the impression I get. (rememeber I havent watched any Enterprise episodes)

Note: I'm sure I'll be corrected on some points since i just rattled some stuff off the top of my head..
Old August 23, 2003, 00:42   #43
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

alright so Starfleet (my bad... i was thinking it was called federation but thats the country) and its nature is kind of vague in the series? thats what i figured. it do seem like they get into skirmishes quite a bit though especially with the klingon people...

and i dont remember any aliens who look like pigs or this andorians... do they show them in the episodes? well you wouldnt know anyway i guess cause you dont watch enterprise... and for your reference, enterprise takes place in 2150 or so... (thank god they didnt use that weird as i dont know what stardate numbers thing)
Old August 23, 2003, 00:52   #44
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
alright so Starfleet (my bad... i was thinking it was called federation but thats the country) and its nature is kind of vague in the series? thats what i figured. it do seem like they get into skirmishes quite a bit though especially with the klingon people...

and i dont remember any aliens who look like pigs or this andorians... do they show them in the episodes? well you wouldnt know anyway i guess cause you dont watch enterprise... and for your reference, enterprise takes place in 2150 or so... (thank god they didnt use that weird as i dont know what stardate numbers thing)
There were featured in the Original Series. See the episode Journey to Babel. They have also been seen in some of the movies featuring the orginal crew.

Below is a site with a good picture of the two different aliens that I'm talking about. Tellerites are in front and the andorian is in back towards the right side.

http://www.stdimension.de/Guide/sttos/tos044e.htm

below is a rundown of the episode.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...633/epid-24924
Old August 23, 2003, 00:58   #45
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

the tellerites are the two ones wearing shiny silver suits and the andorian is the blue one with antenneas? nah i never saw them before... they look too 60's-style corny sci-fi to be in Enterprise...

but damn how could a site have every star trek episode descibed on it... people get obsessive!
Old August 23, 2003, 01:04   #46
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
but damn how could a site have every star trek episode descibed on it... people get obsessive!
Man, you have no idea about how obssessed people get on the topic of star trek.

The level of makeup and effects get better with each new incarnation of the series. That gets the story writers in trouble sometimes. It's not like the Star Wars universe where you have one person in charge of the whole thing. There have been many writers out there that have written Star Trek episodes and movies.

Note: yeah i know Star Wars isn't so great on contiunity either but it's in better shape than Star Trek...

BTW: If you want to see obssessed, check this site out. It has it all..

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/index.htm
Old August 23, 2003, 01:06   #47
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

well i was hitting the previous button on the first site and the episode descriptions are always interesting... they sure made star trek better back then... wasn't so inaccessible...

On Argelius a series of mysterious murders happens that were seemingly always committed by Scotty.

A dangerous, intelligent device is beamed aboard that turns out to be an altered version of an ancient Earth probe.

A landing party accidentally arrives at a parallel universe where the Federation is a barbaric and violent empire.

Having been infected by a virus on Gamma Hydra, Kirk, Spcok and McCoy have to deal with accelerated aging.

When the Enterprise and station K-7 are crawling with high-producing tribbles, a Klingon spy can be disclosed. (I actually did see this episode)

Kirk, Spock and McCoy are taken hostage on a planet resembling ancient Rome and are forced to fight against gladiators in an arena.

Kirk, Uhura and Chekov are abducted, enslaved and forced to fight for survival to entertain omnipotent beings. (re-make of the previous episode?)

Kirk becomes obsessed of hunting a being tha has killed his captain and half of the crew when he was still a young officer.

all those plot summaries seem interesting and have the oppurtunity for plenty of suspense and action... i bet the star trek with the bald guy's plot line would read something like, "A Klinon ambassadar arrives on enterprise but is not treated well by the vulcans. Can the bald captain resolve this diplomatic blunder?" now honestly... who would want to watch that?
Old August 23, 2003, 01:07   #48
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

The Enterprise discovers that the Iotians have adapted the "philosophy" of the "mobs of the Twenties" from a book accidentally left behind

hey i saw that episode too... great episode. had a lot of suspense and i had no idea how it would get resolved. william shatner was gangster as i dont know what
Old August 23, 2003, 01:11   #49
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Quote:
The database lists all known starships and other spaceborne constructions of the Star Trek Universe by races and classes. Schematic diagrams and technical specs are given, where available. The data is mainly based on official sources. In some cases, however, obvious errors had to be corrected and inconsistencies or oddities are discussed in the annotations. More about the database structure here.
oh my god... i dont think the writers of the show even take things this seriously... inconsistencies? its like the episodes of the simpsons where they show sci-fi or cartoon conventions and the nerds ask questions about inconsistencies... all Xena could respond with was, next time you see something like that, a wizard did it
Old August 23, 2003, 01:13   #50
Sprayber
Emperor

For me it came down to one thing. The orginal series did not insult people. It wasn't always great but during TNG, you were constantly bombarded with how primative we are now for doing the things we do. In TNG all of our bad traits were transferred to aliens. After a while it just got boring. When the Borg came on the scene in TNG we were finally presented with a situation where the humans had to get dirty and go back to the primative days of kill or be killed. I liked the DS9 episodes where humans were faced with the situation where they had to kill and kill by the millions to save their society. I liked it when the clean federation started getting dirty.
Old August 23, 2003, 01:15   #51
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

oh my god... i picked a random link on that starship page...

annotations to some starship pod thing... i think i saw the episode of enterprise that this pod was from...

Quote:
2) Even if it were not full of scorches, the structure and hull of the pod with its extendable panels look very old-fashioned, as if they wouldn't belong into the 31st century, but rather into the 22nd century. It may have been purposely laid out to look like that (especially since it's larger on the inside anyway), but in that case it should rather imitate the look of an actual 22nd century vessel, which it obviously doesn't. It is probably operated with cloak anyway. In addition, the pod type 2 (below) has largely, but not exactly the same features, pointing to a design lineage. Considering that the time pod from the 26th century has a very unusual look, and the two designs of the 29th century are still reminiscent of 24th century ships, there is no plausible design evolution of future ships.
where the hell does he come up with this? god damn if this man was interested in real history, he would be the fore-most historian in the world
Old August 23, 2003, 01:18   #52
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 01:42
there was at least one enterprise episode (in season one which I half watched) that had the Andorians (and the Vulcans spying on them/??)

Jon Miller
Old August 23, 2003, 01:18   #53
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
where the hell does he come up with this? god damn if this man was interested in real history, he would be the fore-most historian in the world

I belive its done by a group of people and not just one guy. I've seen Star Wars sites along the same lines. I guess it's just a hobby like building model cars.
Old August 23, 2003, 01:58   #54
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

My other irritation with Star Trek is the going back and forth into the future crap. Another cop out. It makes everything meaningless because if people can just go back in time then everybody would be doing it and nothing would mean anything.

I thought the best writing ever was in the next generatin when there was the Klingon Civil war and Picard was involved and warf's brother and those crazy Romulan chicks.

Now THAT was great writing.

That and the Wrath of Khan.

Mis Novias
Old August 23, 2003, 02:00   #55
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 07:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
My other irritation with Star Trek is the going back and forth into the future crap. Another cop out. It makes everything meaningless because if people can just go back in time then everybody would be doing it and nothing would mean anything.

I thought the best writing ever was in the next generatin when there was the Klingon Civil war and Picard was involved and warf's brother and those crazy Romulan chicks.

Now THAT was great writing.

That and the Wrath of Khan.
I agree time travel is really annoying. but I must admit the suluban stuff is cool. the lil pod ships and the genetic engineering.
Old August 23, 2003, 02:02   #56
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

sulubans are cool as hell

I like it when they crawl up on the wall and jump people.

Mis Novias
Old August 23, 2003, 09:03   #57
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 08:42
To help with the starfleet/federation question:

Starfleet is an international organisation somewhat like a tansportation services union with military branches for safty reasons. Later the military become more dominant as a war with the Romulans erupts in the infancy of the federation (but no one ever sees a romulan face until Kirk does) and the klingons also have a war.

If one looks at the timeline, Enterprise started about 6 years before the fouding of the federation, so somewhere in the last season of Enterprise the Federation should be made (a la 1776) in response mostly to Klingon and Romulan aggresion. It's safe to say the Klingons will always be the bad guys in this series and might even go through a civil war.

Ofcourse with so many temperal disturbances who knows what might happen? (a wizard did it!)
Old August 23, 2003, 10:39   #58
Q Classic
Emperor

yeah, joseph, i don't watch it. trek, for me, stops being canon after voyager.

enterprise would be a good show on its own; but being in the trek universe and messing up time lines to that degree, i cannot abide.
Old August 23, 2003, 22:08   #59
Joseph
King

Local Time: 00:42
It's do bad that some of you don't like the show. It is a good show.
Old August 23, 2003, 22:21   #60
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 07:42
Can someone fill me in on the basics of season 2, and the borg? wtf?? help me out here! What happened!! .