Old August 22, 2003, 09:54   #1
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 17:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Need Base Placement Plan By Next Turn!
The reason why there's very little work that needs to be done, is because people always wait until it's too late.

We need the next few base sites now, because I need to start allocating the formers that will do the sensors and also forest the nuturients. I first need to free up the formers, sensors take 4 turns to build and I expect we will restart colony pod production in 6 or 7 turns.

This is an important task people. If nobody does it soon I'll be forced to do it.

I'm still waiting for someone to do the foreign faction spy.
Old August 22, 2003, 10:04   #2
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 01:42
Which faction you want me to do? (I want to start slow thus one faction. Don't want to give misinformation just because I didn't do it right. )

Grapefruit Garden
Old August 22, 2003, 11:22   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 07:42

I propose these sites for our bases. After building Rokograd and Goograd, then we should build the Hive sector bases, then the Moist Cleft Sector, then the Inland Sea Sector, then finally the West Coast Sector. What do you think? Its a nice spacing, and needs no rocks clearing or fungus removal (apart from site D) The bases in dry areas are mostly coastal, so will be able to get kelp farms quickly and cheaply.

Thus :

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old August 22, 2003, 22:04   #4
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

This is a good start Jamski, I expect that there will be heaps of discussion on the placement. Mainly we need to finalise base nearest to our other cities.

The expected order of base placement will be
site 8
site 2
site 9
site 1
site 6

Second thing is, your inland sea sector is the furtherest you can get from the proposed inland sea.

The energy park should be on the 3500m elevation near Kommie city. The sunny mesa doesn't give much energy in comparison. I think a borehole should be planned for that energy square on the sunny mesa.

I want to make HongHu-KongHu our superscience city.

Site C may not have any usable sea squares (due to our pact treaty first placed base claims the sea squares).

I like that we don't have to clear much fungus or rocky. After our forestation project that we are entering into the early stages of we should have enough formers to remove fungus and remove rocky (if need be). We will still spread faster if we don't have to remove fungus and rocky squares.

Finally Rokossovky may want to give some input on having so many sea bases exposed to our exterior shores.

I hope other people try and give their input for base placement. I'll post an an updated map in a few. I want a few options put up and hopefully we can mix and match the possible sites to get what will be the best.
Old August 23, 2003, 02:48   #5
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:42
The plan seems fine to me. I'd be ready to change the plan as our explorations of the land north of the continue, as hopefully better lands are revealed. Plus, if there are civs up there, we will want to control that landbridge, in case if invasion.
Old August 23, 2003, 03:36   #6
Kody
Emperor

There's like only 5 squares up there before we hit the top of the map.
Old August 23, 2003, 04:59   #7
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Sorry, 'poly went down defor I could post the second two maps :

This is plan B with larger spacing for fewer bases, and less coastal bases :

-Jam
Old August 23, 2003, 05:00   #8
Jamski
Deity

And this is Plan C, which is a kind of hybrid plan with some dense, and some open spacing :

-Jam
Old August 23, 2003, 05:16   #9
Jamski
Deity

Notes :
  • The "Inland Sea Sector" gets its name from the two tile lake SW from Googliegrad's site.
  • There's a possibillity of scamping in one more base by levelling the rocky tile between G.Grad and site 3 (on maps 1 and 3)
  • We are seriously short of flat land for building boreholes, perhaps we should consider raising land southwards from the "Inland Sea Sector" but first we should have a look to make sure we're not accidentally joining our island to Miriam or something.
  • To save moving formers too much, and to keep turn advantage going, we should start the expansion to the south, and reduce the number of former moves required.
  • Early game, when a base can only work a couple of tiles, a forested nut bonus is a very powerful tile for 4-2-1, but only if the nut is on flat arid land. Otherwise a farm on wetter land, and perhaps a mine for nuts on rocks, for 4-4-1 ?
  • Mineral bonuses on flat terrain : Mining these will only give one more mineral, its better to forest them for +2.
  • I suggest that the next base site should be site 6 on the last map, as it will grow fast enough to help colonise the other base sites.
  • We'll require 12-16 colony pods to get all these bases. Obvioulsy the sooner we build them, the sooner they can contribute to the Hive. If every base simply builds two pods, we can complete the expansion in 15-20 turns, tripling our population.
  • We can start on the pods now, but not build the bases yet. If we have pods in plcae to coincide with completion of the HGP, it will save turn advantage again.

Any more comments Comrades?

-Jam
Old August 23, 2003, 06:45   #10
Jamski
Deity

OK, just been dicussing this with big John and we like the following plan, I hope we won't need tooo many more maps

This also has borehole sites marked on it, and bases instead of silly yellow crosses (Yellow? Are we Morgan? NO!)

-Jam
Old August 23, 2003, 06:59   #11
Kody
Emperor

We need that time to build the crawlers for the HGP. Only if we get enough spare crawlers do I suggest building the colony pods earlier than 2135.
Old August 23, 2003, 07:03   #12
Kody
Emperor

Elevation map so we can figure out boreholes.

Red = 1000m-2000m
Blue = 2000m-3000m
Purple = +3000m

Yellow dots = current base sites.
Old August 23, 2003, 07:08   #13
Jamski
Deity

We can get one more base on the new land up north, perhaps next to the nuts and the red dot?

-Jam
Old August 23, 2003, 07:12   #14
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
We need that time to build the crawlers for the HGP. Only if we get enough spare crawlers do I suggest building the colony pods earlier than 2135.
True, and the HGP is far higher priority than expansion.

-Jam
Old August 23, 2003, 08:08   #15
Kody
Emperor

Green dots are base sites.
Black dots are low priority boreholes (Eg we lose rivers or, extra land raising/lowering required to get them.)

Other holes are boreholes.
Old August 23, 2003, 08:14   #16
Jamski
Deity

Agreed with this version as discussed with Kody. The extra site on the SE slope of the Mesa shall be called "site X"

-Jam
Old August 24, 2003, 02:18   #17
Kody
Emperor

And Jamski gets an award for being one of the few hive members that has done serious planning, rather than making a simple decision from a number of given options.
Old August 24, 2003, 11:34   #18
Jamski
Deity

/me accepts the award humbly.

I only did what any other Hive Comrade should would have done.

-Jam
Old August 30, 2003, 05:17   #19
Kody
Emperor

I'm so glad you got the base placement sorted out early Jamski.

I'm pretty sure I would have stuffed up the post SP planning for new bases as last turn I've started a pair of terraformers moving towards the base that will be planted in 2136.

Next turn I start moving the 2nd pair to terraformers that will prep the 2nd base site that will be planted in 2137.

I think you deserve another base named after you.

Last edited by Kody; August 30, 2003 at 05:53.
Old August 30, 2003, 10:04   #20
Jamski
Deity

I'd rather that the base was named "Kody Central Planning", if that's Ok with you mate.

-Jam