Old August 25, 2003, 19:48   #1
Patine
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Question on Rivers
Does anyone know if there's a way (or a mod out there that makes a way) to add or delete rivers while making a scenario without redoing the map and then redoing the whole scenario from scratch from that map?
Old August 25, 2003, 20:21   #2
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 07:50
Here's one from the archives: a post from techumseh when he was just a Chieftain

Quote:
You have discovered scrolls of ancient wisdom: Adding rivers after you start designing your scenario. (This is a post made a couple of years ago by Harlan Thompson)

It has long been thought that rivers could only be created in the map editor. Now, thanks to LeMay and Harlan Thompson, this is revealed not to be the case. To create rivers:

1) Open up the rules.txt file and change the base time for engineers to transform terrain in the cosmic principles section to zero (0). Also in the rules.txt file, temporarily change the terrain that all the terrains you plan to alter are transformed into to "no". After you have finished making rivers, change them back.

2) Create three (or more on other terrain types. For example, mountains take eight) engineers on each of the squares you want rivers to appear. Lastly, create any unit of that civilization off to one side (see next step for why).

3) Select the unit off to one side, and give it any order. This "initializes" the method, and tells the program that all future sets of engineers will be making funky terrain. Without using the mouse, issue the "o" (transform) command to engineers on the squares you want rivers to appear on as they start blinking in turn. As the third engineer on a desert, plains, or grassland square (or more on any other terrain) receives the transform command, the terrain will turn into a odd river/coal/desert combination.

4) To restore the proper terrain type, simply use the cheat menu to alter terrain. All the funny-looking graphics will disappear, but the river will remain. I wouldn't recommend it for anything except adding rivers once the file is in .sav format. There are some wierd effects, like river graphics appearing on adjacent squares, and the view cursor graphic "sticking" on the square.

Also from Allard:

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but there is no way to ADD new rivers....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yes, there is. There is a program called that can export and import maps from save games. You can edit all you want in the Map Editor, and then re-insert it into the saved game.

You can download it at BeBro's Civ2000:

http://civ2000.civ2.gamigo.de/english/eciv2000tools.htm

It's called MapCopy by J.D. Reichwein.
N.B. Link may not be current, but I'm sure someone would post a correction if needed.

One for the Civ2 Creation Hints, Tips and Guides section, maybe? There is already this thread on the front page, in case you missed it:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=66105

Of course I find it much easier to Hex-edit the save game file to do all that stuff.

Happy Civing
Old August 25, 2003, 21:10   #3
Mercator
Emperor

Local Time: 09:50
Here's the current link (to BeBro's site):
http://www.bebro.civ2.org/english/eciv2000tools.htm

And then of course it's also at my utility site (also see sig)...
And the creator's site is at:
http://home.san.rr.com/dustyr/proj.htm

And the bit on adding rivers is also in v1.9 of Leon Marrick's legendary "advanced scenario design", only available at my site (it's slightly different from the one at CivMania).

Last edited by Mercator; August 25, 2003 at 21:17.
Old August 25, 2003, 21:45   #4
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I can verify that Harlan's technique does work. I've used it to touch up rivers on my scns 2 or 3 times.

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old August 25, 2003, 21:46   #5
Elok
Emperor

Local Time: 03:50
If you want to delete them, I think you can just change the terrain to ocean and back too.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old August 26, 2003, 02:10   #6
Patine
King

Thanks a lot for your help. I hope to have my next examples of my handiwork up soon. If you'd like to see what I have already, they're on this forum, but you'll likely have to dig through the backlog. The threads all have my forum ID beginning them.