Old August 26, 2003, 18:16   #1
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 03:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I need YOUR HELP! Help me decide what to read!
I'm going off to college tommorow.

The campus library BLOWS for fiction-I cant use the local library.

Before I go off I am going to a local third hand book store and buying a ton of books-what do you recomend?

Here is what I like to read......

Any kind of science fiction is okay.

Favorite authors are isac asimov and orson scott card(read all books by both authors).

For fantasy i'm kinda fickle..... I like "soft" fantasty. If every third word is a new proper noun(i.e. tolkien or anything like it) I wont be able to stomach it. I'm into soft core fantasty.

Some examples of soft fantasty I liked were Robbin Hobbs(farseer line) and Terry Goodkind(softer then some-read all his books too).

I dont know if terry pratcher counts as fantasy but I love him too-read all his books.

Right now im reading An Island in the sea of time and really like it-so I'll pick up some more books from him.

Edit: To add, Douglas Adams is l33t-I've read every book hes written.

Recommend me books-lots of books, every book you've ever liked and the author and a BRIEF summary lol

Last edited by Vesayen; August 26, 2003 at 18:35.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:18   #2
Kuciwalker
Deity

Hitchhiker's Guide. The one with all of them in it.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:42   #3
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 02:52
JohnT and that crowd do science fiction.
Do a search on their Book of The Month.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:46   #4
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 00:52
I second skywalker's suggestion. Those books are very good.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:49   #5
Vesayen
King

I forgot to mention I've read every book Adams ever wrote-even the serious one about the enviroment lol.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:51   #6
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

I liked David Edding's fantasy series "The Belgariad", of course some high-brow called me an idiot.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:52   #7
Oerdin
Deity

Fiction, huh? How about real classical firction like Leo Tolstoy? There's nothing quite like reading a 2000 page book written by a dead Russian.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.

Last edited by Oerdin; August 26, 2003 at 19:10.
Old August 26, 2003, 19:04   #8
MattH
King

Local Time: 07:52
It's kind of sci-fi, but this book really is a must-read: The twelfth Planet by Zachariah Stichin (sp?). It could be in the Non-Fiction side, or the nutjob isle if your bookstore has one .
Old August 26, 2003, 19:14   #9
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 10:52
If you enjoy sci-fi with humor, get books by Stanislav Lem. I recommend anything except the "Magellan Cloud". Get Lem's Solaris for a very deep, philosophical and interesting sci-fi novel.

And, since noone is going to suggest that, the Strugacky brothers. Not sure if you can get English translations easily, but every single of their books is amazing. That's sci-fi, with social, human and other problems discussed. Take books such as "Roadside picnick" or "Waves extinguish wind" for the best of their. Although, the latter is the last in a series of 4 books - best series I have ever read.
Old August 26, 2003, 19:29   #10
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 08:52
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
I liked David Edding's fantasy series "The Belgariad", of course some high-brow called me an idiot.
Yep, I've never understood how people can get 'snobby' about Fantasy Fiction (as much as I like it)
Old August 26, 2003, 19:31   #11
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 01:52

LEM! LEM! LEM!
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 26, 2003, 19:50   #12
iamlod
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:52
The Wizard's First Rule series by Terry Goodkind.
Anything by David Eddings.
Choke and Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.
Anything by Michael Crichton.
Old August 26, 2003, 20:12   #13
Goingonit
Warlord

Robert Heinlein gets a bit preachy (he's halfway to being a Nazi too), but some of his stuff is loads of fun. Read (if you haven't already) stranger in a strange land, and starship troopers.

Larry Niven is also great - his full-length novels but also his short stories. Ringworld is probably his best, but almost all of his stuff is worth reading. All the Myriad Ways is an amazing collection of SF, fantasy, and speculative essays, including "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex", which is about why Superman can't have kids.

Arthur C. Clarke also has a number of good books out there. Childhood's End is great; I also liked 2001: A Space Odyssey (though it's not as good as the movie), though the series following it is somewhat disappointing.
Old August 26, 2003, 20:33   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:52
Anything by Stephen Baxter is great, and highly recommended by myself.
Old August 26, 2003, 20:54   #15
Oerdin
Deity

You're all a bunch of Sci-Fi freaks! The boy is leaving for college we should be giving him a list of educational, yet, enjoyable books. Heck, if we give him the right list he can skip reading one of the books from his freshman English class.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 26, 2003, 21:03   #16
Oerdin
Deity

Of course more then likely, if you are going to a good school, you will be assigned far more then you can ever read in a single quarter so you won't have to worry about recreational reading.

If you're a typical freshman you'll be to busy reading about acid reduction reactions, the history of ancient Egypt, and the incoherent mumblings of who ever is the current golden boy of the left.
Old August 26, 2003, 21:20   #17
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Be warned- you are going to be given A LOT of reading assigned to you in college, you may not have as much time/effort for reading for fun. Make sure you have enough time after handling your workload and social life first.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old August 26, 2003, 21:24   #18
Oerdin
Deity

God damn it! Another peanut flavored burp.
Old August 27, 2003, 10:38   #19
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
4If you're a typical freshman you'll be to busy reading about acid reduction reactions, the history of ancient Egypt, and the incoherent mumblings of who ever is the current golden boy of the left.
I am a very fast speed reader.

No I havent tried any of those idiotic speed reading programs-I doubt those works. I've been activley reading books recreationally since I was 5(I read the time machine when I was 7), so just practice of reading SO much over the course of my life means I can read VERY VERY fast heh.