Old August 28, 2003, 02:01   #1
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 02:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Soul Calibur II is out and the best version is.....
Overall I think is the PS2.

Graphics wise:

1. Xbox
2. GC
3. PS2

Really, I couldnt tell the graphics apart on a normal TV... and I still couldnt tell the graphics apart from HDTV (which I own now ).. but Xbox does have higher Res, so it is supposedly better. Maybe you guys who are more sensitive about pixels X pixels can tell it apart and ***** and moan about it, but if you're like me, all versions are equally fine.

Controller Wise:

1. PS2
2. Xbox
3. GC

GC was so awkward to play with. I was playing a local tournament held by Gamestop and the store owner wouldnt let me use any other controller for the GC version of the game. So I was stuck with using the gay default controller the all the way to first place. If you own a GC, you can find one of those GC controllers that looks like a PS2, buy an adapter or get a arcade stick. About 70% of the ppl seem to complain about the awkwardness of the controller while 30% fall between being in denial that GC controller sux for SC2 and genuinely having no trouble with the awkwardness whatsoever.

Enough with GC. PS2 is really great to play with, but it aint no DC controller (which was the best for fighting game console controller IMO). Everything is perfect except the location of analog IMO. But thats really trying hard to find something to complain about in PS2 controller.

Xbox is pretty much the same as PS2, if you have the S-controller that is. But the big fat one is suprisingly not TOO bad. Also, the Xbox has same problem with PS2, but with D-pad being out of place rather than analog. Again, its probably just me, but I hate having the control having so low.

Special Console Character Wise:

1. PS2 (Heihachi)
2. Xbox Spawn
3. GC Link

They are all broke as hell (Meaning they are completely unbalanced), but Heihachi especially. He's just simply too poweful, because he is straight off of tekken with hyped up speed, enhanced damage and all the advantage of SC gameplay setting. (ie guardimpact, 8wr run etc)

Spawn is pretty cheap too, but once you get past scrub stage, you wont lose to spawn nearly as much. He still remain an ass though. I like spawn the best overall.

Link is fun to play, and he is a solid character, but if the 3 console characters can VS each other, Link doesnt stand a chance agst Heihachi. He is however THE best ring out character in the game tho. Maybe not so good as kilik, but he's pretty up there.
Old August 29, 2003, 23:09   #2
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

doe! no replies. I guess no one in Poly got SC II yet...

damn PC gamers..

Old August 29, 2003, 23:22   #3
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 23:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
The GameCube version is inferior in every way so I won't talk about it again.

Xbox version is better for the following reasons (at least in my opinion):
- Graphics - Xbox has better graphics than the PS2... simple as that (although the difference in this particular game isn't really important or even noticeable most of the time).
- Loading time - the Xbox has drastically less loading time than the PS2... it's ridiculous.

PS2 is better for the following reasons:
- Heihachi is cooler than Spawn

As far as controls goes, I don't think the PS2 controller is any better than the small Xbox controller. I can't imagine playing well with the big Xbox controller though. I play with my left thumb on the d-pad and my right fingers on the buttons (arcade style).

Overall, I'd give the edge to the Xbox, mostly because of the loading time. At least in my area, it would seem people agree with me. The local game crazy has sold many more Xbox versions than the other 2 combined.
Old August 29, 2003, 23:41   #4
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I haven't got it yet. I can not wait to play Link.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 30, 2003, 09:44   #5
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 03:56
Quote:
The GameCube version is inferior in every way so I won't talk about it again.
Old August 31, 2003, 04:23   #6
Zero
King

XBOX
I played the Xbox version Bustamike.... I won it at a local tournament.

Xbox controller isnt bad. Dont take it wrong. But if I were given a choice, I'd pick ps2 ten out of ten times. D-pad on Xbox isnt as comfortable in PS2. I can do Ivy's Summon suffering and criminal symphony on PS2 just fine, but I cant do it on Xbox cause its awkward.... That forces me to play with analog when playing Ivy on Xbox... and I hate using analog for fighting game. (im old school)

Command for Cs and Ss is 376231A+B(look at numpad). In words, its downfoward, upback, foward, down, downfoward, downbackwards A+B

gamecube
Link is probably the most popular character due to Nintendo fans. But it is the weakest character in the SC universe. So much of his moves are punishable on block.

Gamecube controller is the most horrible thing ever. Luckily my friend has a GC controller that looks exactly like ps2. I'm gonna go to his house with a baseball bat tomorrow so I can convince him that it is wise to lend it to me... or else...

PS2
I wouldnt agree that hei is cooler than spawn.... I mean spawn is so much badass looking... but I'd agree Hei can rip spawn a new a-hole because of how broke-ass hei is. Hei is the true Ogre of Tekken Tag, The Jin of Tekken4... you get the idea.

You say Xbox version is the best because of loading time? Oh please. Thats worse than saying one is better than other because of graphics. PS2 is inferior in graphics, its inferior in loading, but loading time is like 4 second tops. Dont sound like a spoiled kid who gets a brand new alienware every 6months and say you cant handle a 4 second load.

I'd have to say all 3 versions are worth getting. In fact I have all 3. (I won most of them. tee hee) But if I were to choose one, I'd stick with PS2 version.

I have a GC ver, but I dont have the cube... I need to buy a used cube bad!~

Last edited by Zero; August 31, 2003 at 04:32.
Old August 31, 2003, 04:25   #7
Zero
King

Drake, unfortunately what bustamike is saying is true. GC is pretty much inferior in everyway. There's really no reason to get GC version unless you're getting the game to play Link.

its gonna hurt alot of nintendo fans out there, but link sucks, and thats not just anti-link statement. Its a fact.

Oh and you guys keep away from gamefaqs.com! Terrible place to learn how to play SC2.... but if you must, leanr numeric conventions and read the strats written by Soulcalibur.com or guardimpact.com forum members, such as XCTU, bojack and etc..

Last edited by Zero; August 31, 2003 at 04:41.
Old August 31, 2003, 04:55   #8
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Hei is the true Ogre of Tekken Tag
You're sending mixed messages here. True Ogre was a middle to low quality character in Tekken Tag at best.

Quote:
Dont sound like a spoiled kid who gets a brand new alienware every 6months and say you cant handle a 4 second load
Hey, come on! The games are nearly identical. And those 4 seconds every match add up. The load isn't even noticeable on the Xbox. Given that nearly all else is equal, the loading time makes the difference.

Oh, BTW. As long as we're bragging about winning stuff, so far my friends and I have netted no less than 2 Xboxes, 10 games, 2 Live kits, and several controllers by winning tournaments at the local Game Crazy's. Posting a score of over 7 million in a standard run at Tony Hawk 4 with a base character usually tends to win (I think that one got me a copy of Halo).
Old August 31, 2003, 05:05   #9
Zero
King

eh I so far have a 3/3 record. So I still have bragging rights with my percentage. (I scoured the net for game crazy, game stop tourney and got all 3 versions. )
Old August 31, 2003, 14:07   #10
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
- Heihachi is cooler than Spawn
I call BS. Even Link is better than Heihachi. They already had the best character from Tekken in the game before he even thought of getting in his time machine.
Old August 31, 2003, 23:46   #11
Zero
King

I repeat this for the fourth time. Link sucks. He is arguably the worst character in game. While heihachi is undisputably the strongest. That is a fact.

Case closed.
Old September 1, 2003, 00:21   #12
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
While heihachi is undisputably the strongest. That is a fact.
Being the most broken character in the game doesn't make one cool.
Old September 1, 2003, 04:15   #13
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I can't really comment on this game until I get it, but I just don't see how the Gamecube version could be worse than the PS2 one. None of the reviews I've read claim that, at any rate.
Old September 2, 2003, 08:36   #14
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 01:56
I have the PS2 version

Jon Miller
Old September 2, 2003, 09:14   #15
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Being the most broken character in the game doesn't make one cool.
thats true, but when one is serious about gameplay, one doesnt give a **** about image. Take voldo for example, ****in gay as hell, but a great mid-tier character.
Old September 2, 2003, 09:21   #16
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
I can't really comment on this game until I get it, but I just don't see how the Gamecube version could be worse than the PS2 one. None of the reviews I've read claim that, at any rate.
-Game reviwers dont know what they are talkin about. The idiots focus on graphics and load time (like most lame gamers) and they think GC spam friendly control is ok.

I mean these are people who think Yunsung is a great player.

-GC isnt necessarily inferior in every way to PS2. Yes load time is like a second faster thatn PS2, and it officially has more pixels than PS2, but I have been playing all 3 versions long enough and let me tell you that playing GC's 2 second load and going to PS2's 4 second load doesnt drive me nuts.

What drives me nuts is the crappy control and how gay Link is (gameplay wise, but maybe he is gay... i mean whats with the tights...)
Old September 2, 2003, 17:00   #17
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
thats true, but when one is serious about gameplay,
Then one still wouldn't play Heihachi.
Old September 7, 2003, 04:19   #18
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

The Xbox version kicks total ass, was playing it all night with the BF (who never liked fighting games before), it's got us both addicted.

And Spawn kicks ass.
Old September 7, 2003, 04:25   #19
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

For what it's worth, IGN's H2H is posted for insiders here and compares all versions: http://insider.ign.com/articles/433/433962p1.html

For Control, they say it's just preference and it's fine on all three.

Sound: 1. Xbox 2. PS2 3. GCN
Quote:
First, let's discuss the quality of the sound. All of them have the quality of Dolby branding -- the GameCube has Pro Logic II, the PS2 has the same, and Xbox has in-game Dolby Digital. As you might guess, it's the latter that packs the most punch. Playing Soul Calibur II on the Xbox yields a much better balanced, clearer, and bassier signal. The lows really punch through and the highs are crystal clear. No doubt about it, it sounds great. Beneath the Xbox in sound quality is the PlayStation 2. It doesn't have as much bass, and seems to push more towards the mid-range. It still sounds wonderful, but it can't match wits with the Xbox signal. Lastly, there is GameCube. Although Namco took advantage of Dolby Pro Logic II, it apparently wasn't able to squeeze as wide a range of frequencies as it was on the others. Soul Calibur II on GameCube is much flatter and devoid of audio depth by comparison to the others. Sure, the signals are clear, but without the bass and better separated treble, it can't help but sound a bit deflated -- by comparison.

Then there is surround imaging. If you have the speaker setup to support it, you're probably not going to be blown away by any of the consoles performances in this area, but you can tell the difference between each version. Again, the Xbox has better separation -- both between frequencies and speakers. It's actually discrete, and Namco has successfully balanced environmental effects with music and sound effects. For example, on levels with water surrounding you, you'll actually hear it splashing around in the rear speakers. This is present on PS2 and GCN, but not nearly as clean. On Xbox, you'll also hear the occasional smack or clash of your weapons travel to the rear speakers as the camera spins.

The PlayStation 2 and GameCube, with their support for Dolby, sound great and come highly recommended, but if you want the absolute best sound, Xbox is going to deliver it to you for Soul Calibur II.
Graphics: 1. Xbox 2. GCN 3. PS2
Quote:
All three versions run in widescreen, but only the GameCube and Xbox support progressive scan (480p). On top of this, the Xbox version supports the ultra high-end 720p (no 1080i) format. The latter looks very sharp, but only runs in 4:3 format -- a sad limitation, since most 4:3 DTVs don't support 720p and the HDTVs that do are widescreen format sets and thus display the game letterboxed in this mode.

In sum, the Xbox version takes the graphics award, but just barely. It and the GameCube version look spectacular, but the added texture detail on Xbox -- despite the slowdown with the last boss -- and 720p support pushes it over the edge. As for the PS2 version, if you're not bothered by framerate hitches occasionally, it's pretty solid, but it just doesn't have the same crisp look to it.
And loading times:
Code:
Load Point	GameCube	PlayStation 2	Xbox	
Boot-up		17 sec.		24 sec.		12 sec.	
Arena Load 1	6 sec.		8 sec.		5 sec. 	
Arena Load 2	5 sec.		7 sec.		5 sec.	
Arena Load 3	5-6 sec.	8 sec.		5 sec.
Overall:
1. Xbox
2. GCN
3. PS2
Quote:
Because a game like this is so preferential, such a personal decision, we can only factually pick one winner: the Xbox SCII. It has the best visual advantages, punchier sound, and all the same gameplay content. After that, check out the GameCube version, which looks almost equally as solid. PlayStation 2 is also a fine version if you aren't worried about framerate problems.
Old September 7, 2003, 13:26   #20
Zero
King

Quote:
PlayStation 2 is also a fine version if you aren't worried about framerate problems.
Everyone makes out the ps2 version to have horrible frame rate. The frame rate is fine and it runs absolutely smooth at a 60FPS EXCEPT during windmill, yinyang stage. Now both GC and Xbox has the same problem with that stage so I dont see why every ****ing reviews make it out ps2 as the slow running piece of crap.

Fact is that if you've played only those 2 stages and only CH attacked Mina's 6A+B Cervy's FC A+B (ie moves that causes most lag) etc, thru out the whole game,

PS2 might lag maybe 4-5 times out of the 100 rounds you play
GC might lag 2-3 times
and xbox like maybe once.

Lag isnt much of a issue. Game runs fine on ALL THREE CONSOLES.

Graphics - I went over this. Yes, xbox is best, gc is better and ps2 the "worst". But its so trivial IT DOESNT MATTER.

Sound - Yes Xbox has best capable sound with dolby digital, PS2 has pro logic II mode and GC is the "worst". Once again trivial.

Load time. I have all three console and load time is more like:

Xbox 2-3 sec
GC 2-3 sec
PS2 5-7 sec.

Pretty trivial. waiting extra 3 second doesnt kill me.

Which brings the decision really down to control and console characters. I really think gc controller sux balls (as do most ppl in this world does) but like i said before some ppl genuinely has no problem with that gay controller, so if that and gay ass link doesnt bother you, i guess u can live with gc. But for others I recommend xbox or ps2.

Quote:
And Spawn kicks ass.
I heart spawn. So badass
Old September 7, 2003, 18:19   #21
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Got any tips for me, Zero?
Old September 7, 2003, 18:24   #22
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

SC2 is gorgeous in 720p. For fun I compared 480i, 480p, and 720p graphics modes. 480i is what the vast majority of TVs use, 480 lines interlaced (60fps is actually 30fps, since every "frame" in 480p fills only every-other-line on the screen). 480p is like 480p, but every frame draws every line. 60fps at 480p is actually 60fps.

720p is identical to 480p, but instead of being 720x480, it's 1024x720 (would be 1280x720 if it supported widescreen).

The only difference between 480i and 480p is in motion: 480p has a LOT less "jaggies" (no motion artifacting), and has a more fluid feel to it.

720p is by far the best. Everything is simply higher resolution and higher detail, jaggies are nonexistant or at least not noticable on my 36" screen, and it still retains superb framerate.
Old September 9, 2003, 11:40   #23
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
SC2 is gorgeous in 720p. For fun I compared 480i, 480p, and 720p graphics modes. 480i is what the vast majority of TVs use, 480 lines interlaced (60fps is actually 30fps, since every "frame" in 480p fills only every-other-line on the screen). 480p is like 480p, but every frame draws every line. 60fps at 480p is actually 60fps.

720p is identical to 480p, but instead of being 720x480, it's 1024x720 (would be 1280x720 if it supported widescreen).

The only difference between 480i and 480p is in motion: 480p has a LOT less "jaggies" (no motion artifacting), and has a more fluid feel to it.

720p is by far the best. Everything is simply higher resolution and higher detail, jaggies are nonexistant or at least not noticable on my 36" screen, and it still retains superb framerate.
Yeah I have a HDTV and all 3 sys, I know.

And yeah there are less "jaggies". But I only noticed it when I was sitting inch away from the TV.. even then squinting trying hard to look for the difference.

Quote:
Got any tips for me, Zero?
For spawn? All I can say is to whore Levitation stance as much as you can while playing N00bs. It is probably by far the most safest stance in soul calibur game history. (The next closest, Sophitias double angel step in SC 1 comes to mind... :shudders: )

As for playing decent comps, I don't know. I havent played enough spawn to really have concrete strategy or frame data, but there are some nasty, nasty CH combos I've found online (in the 100+ dmg range) and I'll post them up when I get webspace form my uni.
Old September 9, 2003, 12:16   #24
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Spawn is pretty simple. It's all about switching up the quick little combos. His roundhouse low slash is ridiculously fast. For basic playing, just attack relentlessly with 4+b a, 4+b b, while rising a a, f+a b a, f+a b b. As long as your not predictable (change it up, don't finish combos, etc.), because of Spawn's speed, it's very hard for your opponent to avoid getting hit.

Obviously, just doing those moves is gonna get you beat by a decent player, but it's a good start. The air stance is ok when used in moderation, but anyone with any skill will know just to attack and knock you down instead of standing there and trying to block. It's not as safe as Zero claims because you can't block or move, only attack.

That I think is a good basic strat for Spawn.
Old September 9, 2003, 23:49   #25
Zero
King

http://64.202.96.4/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9595

Some great GUARANTEED combos.

Oh and bustamike. Spawn's stance is safe. Its the safest. But it isnt invulnerable. It wont work agst a player with at least some skills, whch is why i said only agst n00bs.

oh and you went from SC convention to Tekken convention!

f+?????? ack!

-----
and for link fanboys.

http://www.guardimpact.com/sc2/compl....php?char=link

Complete link movelist, but no frame data. Which sux.....

Last edited by Zero; September 10, 2003 at 00:01.
Old September 10, 2003, 02:41   #26
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
oh and you went from SC convention to Tekken convention!
Sorry, it's just habbit.
Old September 13, 2003, 00:14   #27
Zero
King

I picked up the PS2 (US) version of SC2 today. Same quality stuff as the import, only with assasin, lizardman and berserk added on. I could have played these characters in GC or Xbox (since I have them) so I dont know exactly what i was thinking when I bought the US copy.

That was a waste of 55 bucks. But Now I completed the collection
Old September 15, 2003, 19:19   #28
Zero
King

Some voldo vids. I like UFO's style much better, but Aris is a tight voldo player too.

http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Stu/jiskim/...ris(voldo).avi

http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Stu/jiskim/...FO(Voldo)1.avi

My voldo coming soon (as soon as i can get a decent tv card for a laptop)
Old November 29, 2003, 09:22   #29
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Finally got the game. I don't know how much I like it yet; it seems a lot slower than Soul Calibur, for one thing, and I don't know what my view is on that yet. Also, my skills have atrophied horribly, so it's going to be a while before I get back to a level where I can properly judge the game.

It sure looks nice, though.
Old November 29, 2003, 10:02   #30
Zero
King

speed of the game has been increased in general actually. Side setpping has been overpowered that you can now even step horizontal attacks in some cases.

-ACing has become even more overpowered
-Verticals can break horizontals now
-Maxi got nerfed
-Mitsu got nerfed a bit with tracking
-and a lot more i cant mention on top of my head.

Drake arent you in Japan now?

OMG... How much I would give to play in tokyo.... You should hit the nearest arcades. Im sure local arcades around you has plenty of comps.

More(korean) SC2 vids. Check out the Nightmare!!!

http://www.soulcalibur.com/forums/sh...threadid=17096

Last edited by Zero; November 29, 2003 at 10:21.