Old August 28, 2003, 12:39   #1
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Halo, Taunting, and Getting Butt-Hurt
For a while now, my friends and I have tried to make it a habit to play a few Halo CTF and deathmatch games every Wed. We usually manage to grab 8 or more people, and the games are generally good.

When I asked one of my friends whether or not he was coming last night, he said no. He said he wasn't having fun because the rest of us need to grow up. Apparantly, he wasn't happy with the level of taunting going on last week. I find this ridiculous. While there was trash talking going on, it was all in good fun, and in no way intended to be malicious or mean. For example, someone gets killed trying to steal the flag and whines that their ghost (vehicle) got stuck. So we yell back something to the degree of "waaa waa waa I died and I need an excuse." Over the course of several hours there were probably 2 or 3 exchanges like this, by my standards relatively low trash talking for a competitive game.

So my question is, what do you guys think of trash talking? Is my friend just being a big baby like most of ust think he is, or should a game like this really be played with no taunting?
Old August 28, 2003, 13:23   #2
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 07:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
When we play Halo, we scream things about each other's mothers, wifes/husbands, threaten to kill each other, etc. I can think of only once when it actually came to blows. After a few minutes we were all happily playing again. If your friend says you need to "grow up," I'd translate that as "I'm getting my ass kicked and I don't like to lose." You're better off without him. Taunting is integral to all MP games and many times a successful strategy for keeping your opponent off-guard.
Old August 28, 2003, 13:52   #3
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon
When we play Halo, we scream things about each other's mothers, wifes/husbands, threaten to kill each other, etc. I can think of only once when it actually came to blows. After a few minutes we were all happily playing again. If your friend says you need to "grow up," I'd translate that as "I'm getting my ass kicked and I don't like to lose." You're better off without him. Taunting is integral to all MP games and many times a successful strategy for keeping your opponent off-guard.
That is exactly what I think . Maybe he needs to play a noncompetitive game like Mario Sunshine or something .
Old August 28, 2003, 13:54   #4
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Some people play for fun, some people play for ego.

Do It Ourselves
Old August 28, 2003, 14:14   #5
Harry Seldon
King

What are you saying? That being competitive is playing for ego? Or were you just defending Mario Sunshine?
Old August 28, 2003, 14:46   #6
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 09:57
me thinks he's a ***** if he considers that trashtalking

I know a lot worse.. in my fav online game SoF1 there's arseholes spamming the server constantly, stfu-ing, omg-ing and **** you wallhacker-ing nearly 100% of the time I play...

I think he hasn't got much experience with multiplayer games
Old August 28, 2003, 14:52   #7
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 02:57
Trash talking is fine in competitive games.

I personally dont trash talk. I actually do the reverse and trash talk to myself about how crappy my performance was and how gay that execution happened to luckily hit the opponent etc.. while im flawlessly defeating my opponent. My friend is the opposite, he trash talks you to death, even if he just got humiliated, he will find a way to trash talk to you and find a way to lower yuour ego.

Either way, one should have freedom to do whatever it is they want to do when playing the game. If it bothers you, maybe you suck or you shouldnt be playing with that individual that bothers you.

half of the fun in MP games is mind ****ing. Banning trash talk takes alot away from mind games.

PS more ppl get annoyed by me than my friend.
Old August 28, 2003, 15:00   #8
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
What are you saying? That being competitive is playing for ego?
Yes, obviously.

EDIT: If that's what you want to call competitive, anyways. You don't have to act like an ass to "play competitively". There is such thing as being a good sport.

Do It Ourselves
Old August 28, 2003, 15:44   #9
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Re: Halo, Taunting, and Getting Butt-Hurt
Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike
For a while now, my friends and I have tried to make it a habit to play a few Halo CTF and deathmatch games every Wed.
Play Rockets on the Prisoner Map.
Old August 28, 2003, 16:01   #10
Harry Seldon
King

Why would you play anything but rockets? That is a good one, though. I also like to play Battle Creek and Rat Race with rockets, too. Don't forget unlimited grenades!

Quote:
There is such thing as being a good sport.
I accept my humiliation in defeat and am more than willing to help a less skilled player. I don't think trash talking has anything to do with being a good sport. Go back to Mario Sunshine.
Old August 28, 2003, 16:24   #11
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Rockets are ok. We usually play shotguns and warthogs on Blood Gulch or shotguns and ghosts on Sidewinder. As long as sniper's are off it's all good (though I wish there was a way to take away sniper rifles and keep the pistol).

Quote:
I accept my humiliation in defeat and am more than willing to help a less skilled player. I don't think trash talking has anything to do with being a good sport. Go back to Mario Sunshine.
Ha, seems I don't even need to post new stuff since I can just agree with you . Right on!
Old August 29, 2003, 07:40   #12
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 08:57
Sounds to me like your friend should play the Sims or something similar.
Old August 29, 2003, 10:06   #13
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

As long as it doesn't become personal, taunting and trash talking is one of the enjoyable aspects of MP games. Trash talking or gloating to an AI, is not quite as satisfying.
Old August 29, 2003, 10:11   #14
DrSpike
Deity

Though it is somewhat scarier when the comp tells you to stfu you stupid n00b.
Old August 29, 2003, 11:12   #15
rah
lifer
Just another peon

There were a couple of games that were programmed with some decent insults for the player when they lost or did something silly. Always humorous.
Old August 29, 2003, 11:13   #16
Harry Seldon
King

Unreal was pretty good.
Old August 29, 2003, 11:36   #17
DrSpike
Deity

I have to say there is a good deal of taunting in my MP games, but no butt-hurting. Perhaps a more careful choice of words might be advisable.
Old August 29, 2003, 13:29   #18
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 03:57
In-game taunts are a major turn-off for me. Yes, enough to make me quit playing the game.

I had to go through this with Tribes2. Fortunately, the engine in T2 allowed some modders to make taunt blockers.
Old August 29, 2003, 14:03   #19
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
I have to say there is a good deal of taunting in my MP games, but no butt-hurting.
No butt hurting? So you never had any sore losers?
Old August 29, 2003, 16:18   #20
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

It's fine by me, so long as the person has SOME humility and I enjoy their company.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:22   #21
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yes, it's easier if you're familiar with the other players and can easily sort out what's personal and what's just HOT AIR>
Old August 29, 2003, 17:28   #22
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

I dont think there would be any merit in winning if the person didnt trash talk. There's nothing like forcing a trash talker to stop talking the talk and walk the walk.
Old August 29, 2003, 18:01   #23
DrSpike
Deity

Agreed. Shutting them up by thrashing them is the best strategy.
Old August 29, 2003, 19:19   #24
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

"Trash talking" is the greatest feature of MP games. Your friend is a wuss, or he was no good and wanted a way out of losing.
Old August 29, 2003, 19:29   #25
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Unreal was pretty good.
It was ok, but the autotaunt got annoying sometimes. Speaking of Unreal taunts, why did everyone say "You fight like Nollie" all the time? I have no idea what that refers to.

Quote:
"Trash talking" is the greatest feature of MP games. Your friend is a wuss, or he was no good and wanted a way out of losing.
See, that's the thing. He's not the best player, but he's certainly better than a good portion of the other people we play with. My theory is that he just can't handle losing. Originally he used to play with some other people. Some of those people still play, but my close group of friends that plays consistently now is quite a bit better than that other group. I think maybe he used to beat up on the old group, got used to it, and now just can't handle it when he loses.
Old August 29, 2003, 19:46   #26
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I didn't realise Apolyton was home to all these annoying "quaker" types that ruin online games.

Trash talking is the reason I don't play any online FPS games anymore, it's like playing with a bunch of snotty 6 year olds all the time.

Do It Ourselves
Old August 29, 2003, 20:19   #27
DrSpike
Deity

Surely you don't want to waste good Sims-playing time posting here with us snotty 6 year olds.
Old August 29, 2003, 20:51   #28
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Surely you don't want to waste good Sims-playing time posting here with us snotty 6 year olds.
Nope, I'll go back to my war-sim WW2online now, and play with the adults.

Do It Ourselves
Old August 30, 2003, 00:46   #29
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I didn't realise Apolyton was home to all these annoying "quaker" types that ruin online games.

Trash talking is the reason I don't play any online FPS games anymore, it's like playing with a bunch of snotty 6 year olds all the time.
I'm not sure why everyone is attacking you with the "Sims" and "Mario Sunshine" routine.
Old August 30, 2003, 06:53   #30
Paul Hanson
King

Me and my mates often play linkup games on Halo, and the one thing that really pisses me off is when people congratulate their team-mates in a really over the top fashion, as if to taunt the other side. Aside from that, I also have a mate who takes it a little too seriously - that can seriously spoil the fun of everyone else, who are basically playing for a laugh rather than to win, because none of us are particularly good at the game.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.