Old May 4, 2001, 13:18   #1
godot
Settler

Local Time: 22:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Newbie question RE: Trading across continents...

How can I send a caravan/freight across an ocean to get to another civ?

------------------
Your Obedient Serpent, Paul
Old May 4, 2001, 14:12   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 16:59
[list=a][*]Settle a city on the coast.[*]Build a ship in the coastal city[*]Move the caravan into that city (click "continue moving" when prompted to make a trade route.[*]Order the caravan to sleep/board next ship[*]Move the ship out to sea, the caravan will be on board.[*]Sail to your destination, but do NOT move your ship into that city. It will attack and sink. Instead, disembark next to the city. Or, click on the units, choose the caravan, and move directly into the city, establishing a trade route. Landing first will allow you to make contact, so this is probably better.[/list=a]
The caravan can also board the ship on the coast outside a city. Just move it into the square the ship is in. Be careful to keep a trireme along the coast, or it might sink. Happy trading!

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
Old May 4, 2001, 14:16   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Welcome Godot - I'm sure we all want obedient serpents ...

To your question - aboard a ship - all non-pure war ship vessels have a capacity for carrying other ground units -
  • Trireme carries two
  • Caravel carries 3
  • Frigate two
  • Galleon four and
  • Transport eight units
If a unit is on sentry (sleep) in a port and a vessel leaves that port it will carry the sleeping units aboard it - alternatively you can 'walk' a unit from the shore into an adjacent naval unit for the expense of one movement point. When the ship docks in some other port the sleeping units automatically awaken and can be moved - or if you attempt to move the ship into an unoccupied land square you will be offered the chance to disembark a unit and finally if you click upon a ship carrying units you will be able to individually awaken each unit it carries and move them ashore - into a foreign city or onto another vessel.

You will soon get the hang of it - overseas trade is an important part of most strategies -- of course all the above also works for diplos, spies and military units for somewhat less than peaceful purposes.

Good civin' and, again, Welcome - I hope you enjoy these boards ...
Old May 4, 2001, 14:18   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Bl*st you, Monsieur le Marquis - you type faster than I ....

------------------
Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library has been built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old May 9, 2001, 18:37   #5
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 18:59

Hi godot - i've been waiting for you

It took me a while to figure out that i could activate the sleeping camel on the boat and have him walk right into the city, instead of landing first outside the city square. Makes a big difference when you're trying to trade with someone you're at war with

LOTM