Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31, 2003, 18:25   #1
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 09:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
September Elections: President
Most important of all, who will hide behind the decisions of the horsemen,which themselves will be hiding behind the decisions of the ppl?

Will this Noble leader.
Which name will it be that will make our enemies tremble?
Will it be:

atawa
or
Six Thousand Year Old Man

Shade
Old August 31, 2003, 19:06   #2
cavebear
Emperor

Local Time: 03:03
I think I will wait to vote on this one, until we hear how the candidates propose to move us forward!

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old August 31, 2003, 20:10   #3
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Though I am greatly pleased to see at least one election with some meaning I have nominated atawa for the last three months and of course he has my vote, though I hope to see STYOM's name on the ballot again next month if he should be unsuccessful.

I have scanned through a number of threads on all three Democracy games, and can find no current player who has been involved as much as atawa, as Minister and Citizen, who has not yet been President. Though I would one day like to run for President, I will not put my name forward until some of those more deserving then I have taken the place of President. This month, I beleive that should be atawa.

/me Candidate for Foreign Minister
Old September 1, 2003, 10:44   #4
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Campaign speech
/me clears his throat and steps up to the microphone

cue: cheering throng

I served as City-Planner earlier in this, Democracy Game #3, and I also served in Demogame #2 as Science Minister.

The key to success in a Demogame is communication, IMO. Ministers need to keep the people informed, so that they might have all the information needed to vote wisely. Ministers need to be clear in communicating to the President, so that the various recommendations are clearly understood. And the President must keep go back to the Ministers and the people, ensuring that the instructions still fit the situation, because things can change so quickly.

As City-Planner, I made the Xinning proposal which has enhanced our scientific development and eased some of the unhappiness issues in the 'Xin-cities'. To do this I had to answer a lot of questions about the process and win over the voters to what I felt was a good strategy. I propose to use the same approach as President - I will be open to new ideas and strategies, and will not let an idea die because it is too unfamiliar.

Beyond this, I have a lot of experience playing on big and strange maps, micromanaging many cities while struggling to conquer opponents So, I feel I will be able to implement the decisions of the Ministers and the citizenry effectively

/me steps back from the microphone

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old September 1, 2003, 11:49   #5
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 10:03
/me takes over the microphone.

Having been a citizen throughout the 3rd demogame I'm not as well informed about the current status of our country as my honorable oponent. What I do know is that our civ is in good shape We have a core of Xinning city's and an outer rim mostly used for building new units.

When elected president it is my goal to work with the four horsemen to provide a framework, a masterplan for the next stage in our conquest. Imho this should be the capture of Washington and New York.
When taken we will gain Leo's (Wash), HG and MP (NY) from Americans, making them no longer a threat.

In the meantime we should work hard on our highways as we play on a HUGE map and it will take ages to move our units in.

I would also like to see an embasy esthablished with every civ. We know about Greeks and Americans but if the other civ's are not yet in posession of gunpowder it might be an option to go after them first

As far as communication is conceirned, I have great confidence in the four horsemen to provide our citizens with an abundance of screenshots and polls.

As president I see it as my job to condense their reports into the overall framework. I will make it one of my first jobs as president to start a thread on this subject for citizens and ministers alike to post and discuss their ideas.
Another major goal is to post turninfo as detailed and easily understandable as our outgoing president

Why vote for me?
Besides the above mentioned I have much experience playing on all maps and settings, both against humans and AI.
And while my honorable oponent *might* have the edge as it comes to micromanagement and the deeper layers of the game I'm confident that when it comes to actual wargaming I can play with the best.
(And beat them once in a while )

/me steps down and gets back to his current job as his boss is about to fire him for posting on poly again
Old September 2, 2003, 11:11   #6
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

A tough call.

STYOM has been a constant presence and has strong skills in both communication and Civ2 (as evidenced in this game and in mumerous succession games).

Atawa is less known to me, but I do know that he is also skilled, plus fearless and forthright (as evidenced in a recent MP duel where I watched him take on the mighty RAH).

I think some new blood might be best, and I his new avatar, so I'm going with...

ATAWA!!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old September 2, 2003, 14:13   #7
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Local Time: 02:03
Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
A tough call.
So true.
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old September 2, 2003, 15:10   #8
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Eh, when in doubt, vote the Canadian.
Old September 2, 2003, 15:10   #9
cavebear
Emperor

atawa makes a good point when he mentions that he is not familiar with the details of the current situation. Well, not having been a Minister, he wouldn't be.

So the point is that we can't hold a lack of detail against him. Otherwise, only existing Ministers would ever be qualified to hold office. Logically, that makes no sense. Ability and pre-existing knowledge are not the same thing.

That being said, I have no really good way to judge between atawa and STYOM. My impression is that we have 2 qualified candidates and that votes will depend on other factors.

So, I have some questions of the candidates:

1. Should we be attacking the Americans first? If so, should we be attacking Washington, or should we attack in some other way? If not, who should we be attacking next?

2. Aside from military requirements for an attack, what are the most important things you would do with our resources? Should we emphasize roads and irrigation, city infrastructure, or worker/terrain enhancement? Any could be done or each equally.

3. Xinning - What is youre experience with that? And if none, how comfortable do you feel doing it for the first time.

4. How do you go about micromanaging the cities during your game-play? Do you look at each and every city each turn or do you look at them as suggestions come up on the screen? Do you use "automate settler"? Do you use "goto"?

5. How detailed are the notes you take during a session? Do you write everything down as it occurs or do you feel more comfortable reconstructing each year when it ends? Or after the session is ended? Be honest.

6. Do you like making screenshots? Do you think previous Presidents have offerred too many or too few? Or the wrong ones?

Just some things I'd like to know before voting...

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old September 2, 2003, 16:32   #10
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
1. Should we be attacking the Americans first? If so, should we be attacking Washington, or should we attack in some other way? If not, who should we be attacking next?
I'd like some info on Zulu first. I would like to build the road west to Americans (mandatory for us to launch a full-scale attack on Americans) but if we can take out some big Zulu city's in the meantime we have more city's to Xin and expand our empire in a logical manner.
We can also build/buy an army in Zululand and send it to Americans a lot quicker

Quote:
2. Aside from military requirements for an attack, what are the most important things you would do with our resources? Should we emphasize roads and irrigation, city infrastructure, or worker/terrain enhancement? Any could be done or each equally.
Roads first, we have a huge map and large rival civs. We need good highways or our troops will be obsolete before they arive at the front

We have Pyramids so after we get into fundi we can build an army of settlers/engineers and still grow quite rapidly becouse we can use all workers for a change

Quote:
3. Xinning - What is youre experience with that? And if none, how comfortable do you feel doing it for the first time.
I use Xinning in MP games, no problem.

Quote:
4. How do you go about micromanaging the cities during your game-play? Do you look at each and every city each turn or do you look at them as suggestions come up on the screen? Do you use "automate settler"? Do you use "goto"?
I'll look at every city on the first turn of a session, after that I look at most city's every turn.

When looking at some city's you instinctively know you dont have to look at them for X turn so dont unless something happens. City's where you see you are going to waste shields or could go out of order usualy are checked at the end of a turn.

I might miss a shield every now and then but I run a pretty efficient civ usualy.

Off course no automated settlers and only goto if its a close stretch and I KNOW they are going to use the road

Quote:
5. How detailed are the notes you take during a session? Do you write everything down as it occurs or do you feel more comfortable reconstructing each year when it ends? Or after the session is ended? Be honest.
Everything as it happens, we have so many city's and will have embasies with every civ at the end of this term.
We have a lot happening during turns and I think the citizens have the right to all information.

Quote:
6. Do you like making screenshots? Do you think previous Presidents have offerred too many or too few? Or the wrong ones?
Previous presidents have done a good job overall .

What I will add is taking screenshots of things like battlefields/city's being taken, information messages, and generaly everything that is of interest of the Ministers to put in their threads and polls.

/me , Presidential candidate for the Apolyton Imperium 1400AD

Last edited by atawa; September 2, 2003 at 16:38.
Old September 2, 2003, 21:53   #11
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear

So, I have some questions of the candidates:

I feel the Americans have the most to offer. They have wonders we'd like to own, and they seem to have some great terrain, too, and possibly some useful techs.

Washington is an ideal target, but we may not have the military might to take the city (see my comments in the 'Our Imperium' thread). Diplomat activity could gain us a few smaller cities in the area, which could then support additional attack units (and they wouldn't have as far to travel).

Quote:
I favour roads at this point. Irrigation should be used sparingly - we don't want to grow into more unhappiness issues. That said, I would like to see some mining, where possible, after the roads are in place - we need shields. I don't propose adding a lot of city infrastructure - with the city sizes we have, most improvements aren't warranted.

Quote:
Perfectly comfortable (I was the one who suggested it ).

Quote:
I tend to look at each city individually, particularly when playing games like a Demogame or Succession game, when only a few turns are played at a time.

I don't normally use 'automate settler', but I might be tempted to try it to get some irrigation without a water source. Provided that isn't considered cheating, of course

I seldom if ever use 'goto' except when moving vast numbers of units along a railroad - and then, only after testing how far the command will be effective before the units start to wander.

Quote:
I take notes as things happen, otherwise, things get forgotten. I tend to adjust the level of detail as the situation warrants (e.g. I might explain where individual workers were placed if we had 1-3 cities, but not in our current situation, where we have dozens of cities).

Quote:
To be candid, I'd have to figure out how to post a screenshot. I suspect it'd be simple enough.

I think that screenshots of key situations - the terrain around Washington, for example, or an enemy force approaching our core cities - are more important than setting out the science, demographics, and trade screens in screenshots. The latter are nice, but when a key decision needs to be made by the citizenry on an attack, they should have the full story on the situation - and a screenshot is perfect for that.

Quote:
Just some things I'd like to know before voting...

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old September 4, 2003, 05:26   #12
shade
King

Cabinet locations
maybe a good idea to speed things up when ellections are finished: all cabinet members post could their mailaddres here so saves can be send quickly by our new president.

theadresforourcityplannerthe_shade@hotmail.comisthisone.

Shade
Old September 4, 2003, 07:22   #13
atawa
King

How much longer do the elections last?
Old September 4, 2003, 07:34   #14
shade
King

10 h more
(till 23h28 Belgian time)
Old September 4, 2003, 07:42   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:03
The top says almost exactly 12 hours from this post. (11am Friday my time = 2300 Thurs GMT - it is currently 11pm Thursday my time). I can see as I have yet to vote. I am of course doing so now.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 4, 2003, 09:39   #16
shade
King

okay this is embarassing(for someone who should be able to count)

it's 11h (knowing the poll should have started at the same moment as the first post)

Shade

Last edited by shade; September 4, 2003 at 10:47.
Old September 4, 2003, 10:48   #17
shade
King

hehe proof (we both are mathematically challenged)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	time.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	52537  
Old September 4, 2003, 11:09   #18
atawa
King

Shouldnt the elections have ended allready?

Thought they were usualy 3 days instead of four
Old September 4, 2003, 11:11   #19
King

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa
Shouldnt the elections have ended allready?

Thought they were usualy 3 days instead of four
Does this have anything to do with the fact that an hour ago, you were leading?

6-6... next vote may decide it!

Old September 4, 2003, 11:26   #20
atawa
King

Off course it doesnt
Old September 4, 2003, 11:31   #21
King

I guess I ought to vote now, before it's too late

Old September 4, 2003, 11:37   #22
atawa
King

Yes, once all my DL's have voted it wont make any difference anymore
Old September 4, 2003, 15:01   #23
cavebear
Emperor

3.5 hours left in the voting, and it is a tie. Are some people saving their votes for the last minute? Oh the suspense, the edge-of-your-seat feeling, the future of the empire at stake!

Will it be a last minute flipping of the coin for some king-maker or will it be a new walk-in who makes our choice?

And where is Hydey and his Amazons? No post from him in 7 days! EEK! (worried).
Old September 4, 2003, 15:48   #24
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

You may reach me at:

yabbadabbadoosean_ollech@hotmail.comyabbadabbadoo
Old September 4, 2003, 16:30   #25
shade
King

common ppl break this damn tie so we don't have to lose more time figuring out a way to get our president...

Shade

"Vote new blood, vote atawa!"
Old September 4, 2003, 16:51   #26
cavebear
Emperor

It seems to me that both candidates are qualified. I asked questions, they both answered them well. I offerred a few possibilities for bad answers, they answered those correctly, too.

Some additional people *please vote* in the next 1.5 hours.

Runoffs of 2 candidates devolve upon the elected Ministers if a tie occurs. I think that if the election time ends in a tie, the previous President should arrange the Minister poll.

My email iscavebearathome@comcast.netfor real
Old September 4, 2003, 18:05   #27
cavebear
Emperor

15 minutes...
Old September 4, 2003, 18:31   #28
cavebear
Emperor

The poll is closed and tied. I think it is up to the previous President to announce a way for the vote to be determined.

And I have a suspicion that Previous President Shade has just gone to bed.
Old September 4, 2003, 18:42   #29
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
The poll is closed and tied. I think it is up to the previous President to announce a way for the vote to be determined.
crap crap crap....

Quote:
And I have a suspicion that Previous President Shade has just gone to bed.
nope still awake

Check your PM and let me know asap(will prob be awake for a little longer)

Shade
Old September 4, 2003, 19:04   #30
cavebear
Emperor

Received PM and declared my choice..