Old September 1, 2003, 05:54   #1
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 08:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Daggerfall - The Good,The Bad and The Ugly?
With Morrowind currently stealing the show, and having played it a fair bit, i was wondering which of the three catogories, or combinations off, people who have played Daggerfall would put it in and why - Good/Bad/Ugly?
(I re-watched the western recently )
It seems to me that this older game should be far superior than the newer title - more open, more masive, more complex and more difficult?
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old September 1, 2003, 07:23   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Daggerfall is all three - Good, Bad and Ugly .

Great game, big bugs, bad graphics.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 1, 2003, 17:33   #3
Tuberski

Local Time: 03:05
That sums it up nicely.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 2, 2003, 06:27   #4
child of Thor
Emperor

(The Bad) Well i've been doing a little research on the game, and its biggest problem of bugs can be sorted,to a playable extent, if you have the right kind of computer(an old slow un), so i'm in the process of building a pc specifically for this game(and other pre Win2000 games).

(The Ugly) The VGA graphics dont look so bad to me, they are very colourfull and as im a vet gamer ive seen much worse - great graphics dont a good game make

(The Good) I think the huge scope and freedom of the game might win me around.

Am i crazy to want to build a pc for this game ?
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Old September 2, 2003, 11:25   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 09:05
Its a game I played for a loooong time and I have complete respect for anyone who still enjoys it. In many ways I still prefer it to Morrowind too.
Old September 2, 2003, 14:21   #6
pg
Prince

if you like morrowind you should love daggerfall. the only thing mw has over df are graphics. mw is supposed to be more detailed because it was all hand made but in reality the games are about the same not taking differences between the games into consideration(eg mw has more clutter but it means nothing to gameplay). df isn't really that unstable either if you have the latest patches and a good system setup for it. on my pc(750mhz athlon, 128mb ram, win98se) mw and df crash about the same amount which isn't that often.
Old September 21, 2003, 16:34   #7
child of Thor
Emperor

Well after much jiggery pokery(?) i've got the thing going sweet

And so far for me its:

90% Good - im having a great time working it all out, which guilds to join, which ones i dont mind pi**ing off, trying to save some money, makeing sure i sleep and dont just pass out in a dangerous situation, getting my head around the hugeness of the gaming world etc, etc.

5% bad - it did take a fair amount of effort on my part to get hold of the game(ebay), find an old pc(a P166), and get all the right patches + info on getting the game as stable as you can. My third Install is working just fine!

5% Ugly - not so much of the graphics, as some of the menu layouts, like trying to move things between your cart and the inventory you carry, the fact that sometimes text from the books you can read sometimes runs of the edge of the screen, so you miss a few words.

Overall i'd say im glad i made the effort, this is promising to keep me occupied for a hell of a long time
I just dont have the desire to play Morrowind on my xbox anymore

And yes it does crash from time to time(as does Morrowind on my Xbox!), still i save often so its no biggy, some day i may walk in real-game time from one end of the map to the other, and see how long it actually takes

Old September 21, 2003, 18:02   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I e-mailed Bethesda about allowing abandonware sites to carry Daggerfall and Arena, yet they (quite adamantly) refused.
Old September 22, 2003, 08:53   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 09:05
Not surprising since they are actively marketing games that use a lot of the same concepts. They want you buying Morrowind expansions, not playing Daggerfall or Arena for free.
Old September 22, 2003, 11:02   #10
child of Thor
Emperor

That might be their reasoning, but after spending about 60 hrs on Morrowind it became painfully obvious to me that it wasn't as hugely open ended etc as was being talked about(on the game box and at the website). Sure it looks great, but after a while the characters appear as wooden as the ones in Daggerfall.

And having a good look at Daggerfall you can see all the stuff they stripped out for Morrowind, still the thing that killed Daggerfall in many peoples eyes(and still does) is the very buggy nature of the game. Probably why Bethseda want it to just die and go away.

Still IMHO for a fanatic like me, who likes his games with a smattering of realism, attention to detail, and who's also willing to jump through a few hoops, Daggerfall is worth the effort.

Old September 22, 2003, 18:41   #11
Tuberski

Plus, the ability to become a werewolf is great!

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 22, 2003, 19:04   #12
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I think you can become a werewolf with the latest Morrowind expansion, aswell.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 23, 2003, 19:29   #13
Tuberski

I don't have it, so I don't know, but it seems logical to me.

ACK!
Old September 23, 2003, 21:10   #14
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 05:05
Yes, you can transform into a Werewolf in Bloodmoon.

Here´s a review and some info about it:
http://www.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r21608.htm

The official site appears to be down at the moment.
Edit: But I´ll post the link anyway www.elderscrolls.com
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Last edited by Unspeakable Horror; September 23, 2003 at 21:19.