Old March 16, 2000, 20:23   #1
Teeks
Settler

Local Time: 22:35
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Spaceship.
When I was playing today, I was the Mongols, I had 6 cities, perfectionist style. One was a 26, two were 24's, one was a 23, and two were 15's. I got ahead in tech quickly, and was building my spaceship before anyone else. But then, the Romans with a gargantuan amount of cities began building theirs...So, I blast it off in 1950 (39-4-4-1-1-1) and the estimated arrival was 1965. Then, in 1957, the Romans launch theirs and the estimated arrival was also 1965. I'm not sure of their spaceship's stats, but I do know the mass was quite a bit larger than mine, and was not fusion powered, while mine was. Anyway, when 1965 came, the Romans arrived, even though I was supposed to arrive on the same date. My question is 'What factors determine how quick a spaceship will get to AC, and if two civs are going to arrive on the same date, what factors will determine which arrives first.' This really irks me, because this is the second time this has happened recently. Waagh! Please help.

--Teeks

------------------
--Teeks
Old March 16, 2000, 21:01   #2
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:35
the benefit of the white civ is thay go first in all turns it goes in order of color.... with my beloved purple mongols last in the chain.....

the fastest spaceship possible is 15.9yrs i think and its 13 3 3 1 1 1 i believe not 100% SURE ON the structurals.... with fusian power....

therefore if you both land on the same date the person who goes first ie white civ lands first silly concept but that is TBS for you nexttime dont cut it so close

------------------
It's clobberin time!!
- The Thing from the Fantastic Four
Old March 16, 2000, 23:13   #3
Tom DeMille
Prince

Local Time: 17:35
The fastest ship is more like 6 years. Just load it up with engines and fuel cells (something in the order of 35-8-8-1-1-1)

edit: Teeks, you built too many structural for the number of engines. The minimum (with %100 chance of success) ship is 15-3-3-1-1-1 with fusion power, which takes 15 years to arrive.

edit: War4ever, when was the last time you won by landing on AC?
[This message has been edited by Tom DeMille (edited March 16, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Tom DeMille (edited March 16, 2000).]
Old March 17, 2000, 06:01   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
Hi Teeks,

Always good to 'see' new faces.

There is a load of useful information on this and similar problems at http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~winkler/civ2.html

Hope this helps

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old March 17, 2000, 15:03   #5
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:35
Tom your correct of course..... i was thinking of OCC spaceships and thats why i only had 13structurals and not 15 thanks for the correction..... i believe the rest was right though
Old March 17, 2000, 15:23   #6
Tom DeMille
Prince

Local Time: 17:35
Thanks, SG1, good link- especially the formulas on trade. I'm finally starting to get a handle on the most effective use of caravans. Good to know that the ongoing trade from a trade route is not distance dependent. I'll keep sending those first 3 OCC caravans to the nearest possible city.