Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

Dear Asswipe:

I don't give an iota what you think of this.

Sincerely,

MrFun

Dear MrPixie,

That particular phrase should have read, "I don't give an iota about what you think of this." Even then, the sentence is much too awkward to be effective. Your continuing misuse of grammar only serves to further mar the Grammar Nazi trademark. Prepare for a jackboot up the keister.

Ever yours,

BG

Last edited by Boris Godunov; September 4, 2003 at 07:40.
Old September 4, 2003, 00:16   #272
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 03:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Dear MrPixie,

That particular phrase should have read, "I don't give an iota [b]about[/i] what you think of this." Even then, the sentence is much too awkward to be effective. Your continuing misuse of grammar only serves to further mar the Grammar Nazi trademark. Prepare for a jackboot up the keister.

Ever yours,

BG

But I don't like going by the rules.
Old September 4, 2003, 05:06   #273
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 08:06
Quote:
A definition is an absolute truth.
No, a definition is "defining" a set of paramaters that hold for a given situational context. Be that a war, a punch up, or our universe.

Now you could argue the old fallacy against relativism, that an objective is linked to its context and when specified, that is an absolute truth. That is of course true, but then, keep taking it to different dimensions, so one has to specify infinte dimensions to keep it absolute, otherwise it has no effect. For example, dot on piece of paper is 4 cm from either side. Then one metre up from the ground. In Northampton. England. Earth. Sol. System. X,Y,Z coordinates in space. T time. U 5d time.... and we can go on forever, so you can't in fact specify a a finite term that is infinitely absolute. The same dimensions things goes for more abstract (non cosmological) concepts, like wars, or politics etc etc. Put simply, "think out of the box" (though there are problems with that term as a description, its a good analogy).
Old September 4, 2003, 05:07   #274
Whaleboy
Prince

We need a spelling/grammar nuremberg on OT! I cant talk... I been going Hermann Goering on you all this thread!
Old September 4, 2003, 05:11   #275
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:06
Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
No, a definition is "defining" a set of paramaters that hold for a given situational context. Be that a war, a punch up, or our universe.
Since we don't know anything outside of our universe, anything that anchors on it will be absolute. Say, Planck's constant, or absolute zero.
Old September 4, 2003, 05:13   #276
Whaleboy
Prince

Quote:
Since we don't know anything outside of our universe, anything that anchors on it will be absolute. Say, Planck's constant, or absolute zero.
Black holes, tachyons, variations in background radiation from the BB that can only be explained by externel influences (COBE) etc efc? Even within this universe, its conceivable for these absolutes to change. Cognetive relativism requires the mere possibility.
Old September 4, 2003, 05:30   #277
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:06
Black holes are a theoretical construct of GR. Thus far their existence has not been verified.

Tachyons are also still theoretical.

Variation in background radiation can probably be explained by something else, and I haven't looked closely at it.

Quote:
Even within this universe, its conceivable for these absolutes to change.
No. These constants were formed early during the Big Bang and remain fixed from then on.

Quote:
Cognetive relativism requires the mere possibility.
1. Relative to what? It's not that there's another universe that we can compare to.

2. If cognitive relativism requires such possibility, there is something wrong with it. Philosophy is fun and all, but it's also fuzzy and squishy.

3. If you hold that cognitive relativism must hold true everywhere, it becomes an absolute, forming a contradiction that causes it to collapse.
Old September 4, 2003, 05:45   #278
Whaleboy
Prince

Quote:
Black holes are a theoretical construct of GR. Thus far their existence has not been verified
Hawking Radiation (also proving uncertainty princ.) The latter shows that there is no point of zero energy in the universe, thus it must have a value. It shows that one particle of antimatter, and a corresponding one of matter will appear, then annihilate each other.

Near or on a black holes Schwartzchild radius, one particle will get sucked in, leaving the other free to wander off. This causes the black hole to lose mass, as each particle on its own has negative mass and only returns to zero when they annihilate. Hawking showed how this would cause a black hole to "evaporate", increasing the intensity of the hole (as small ones are obviously more powerful), and accelerating the evaporation. We dont know what happens when they reach zero mass. Either nothing or a pretty groovy fireworks display.

This radiation (X-rays IIRC and deduce) has proven the existence of black holes.

Not that they needed proving this way, simply observe (via IR of course) the motion of stars at the centre of the galaxy, and you see their angular motion. The mass at the centre, due to possible size (and the Chandraskhar (sp?) limit) can only be what is enigmatically termed a "supermassive black hole". Of course, one can never, in physics or philosophy, have any complete degree of certainty, but of course, that would defy the point!

Quote:
No. These constants were formed early during the Big Bang and remain fixed from then on.
There is evidence from the horizon problem that this is not the case. For example, the speed of light in a vacuum is dependent on the permittivity and permeability of the vacuum. At an early stage in the universe, it is highly possible that these were both less than what they are.

Quote:
1. Relative to what? It's not that there's another universe that we can compare to.
Can you be absolutely certain? . Cognetive relativism is metaphysics. I suppose the only relativism (invents ) would be cognetive cosmological relativism.

Quote:
2. If cognitive relativism requires such possibility, there is something wrong with it. Philosophy is fun and all, but it's also fuzzy and squishy.
Whats wrong with it? The fuzziness and squishiness makes it great!! There seems to be a movement in science to remove the philosophy and understand an ultimate truth, whereas we both know there is none! (me and cosmology), but you need us dammit!!

Metaphysics is really just science where science dare not tread yet
Old September 4, 2003, 05:46   #279
Whaleboy
Prince

Quote:
3. If you hold that cognitive relativism must hold true everywhere
Which I dont!
Old September 4, 2003, 05:48   #280
Whaleboy
Prince

Quote:
Variation in background radiation can probably be explained by something else, and I haven't looked closely at it
An initial explosion in 5d would result in a homogenous 4d, but externel influences would start to affect the latter. The other theories explain that this stuff occurs, they dont explain why.
Old September 4, 2003, 05:51   #281
Whaleboy
Prince

To think this all started because someone doesn't like liberalism
Old September 4, 2003, 07:12   #282
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

To think someone posts 4 times when editing the first will do

Isn't it about time we gave this thread a rest? Its so OT now it's becoming silly

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Last edited by Drogue; September 5, 2003 at 12:32.
Old September 4, 2003, 08:55   #283
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 03:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Isn't it about time we gave this thread a rest?
Finally -- someone said something sensible in this thread.