Old September 2, 2003, 10:36   #1
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 03:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Going to Tel Aviv
Well, it looks like I'm going to be in Tel Aviv for a couple of weeks for work. The dates aren't confirmed yet, but right now it's looking like the week before and the week after Rosh Hashanah (yeah, pretty close for dates not to be confirmed, but this is how corporations work).

Since I know there are a number of Apolytoners in Israel, I was wondering if there were any suggestions on things to do? Things not to do? Places to see/stay away from?
Also, I'm not too familiar with Rosh Hashanah, so what can I expect that weekend?

Wraith
QUARKBAR - the candy with flavour and charm.
Old September 2, 2003, 10:44   #2
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Might I suggest a purchase...
http://www.protechsales.com/products...scID=28&pcID=4
Old September 2, 2003, 10:47   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:07
Naw, he doesn't need one of those. Just stay alert and be aware of your surroundings.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:18   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:07
Good luck Wraith, maybe you can do a Polymeet!
Old September 2, 2003, 11:21   #5
Evil Knevil
Prince

Local Time: 09:07
Tel Aviv, ha! Tell me when you're going somewhere dangerous

Tel Aviv is nice, quite safe and a good number of Apolytoners are within easy reach.
Old September 2, 2003, 11:57   #6
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
Ok, several things.

First, always suspect people. I'm not talking about terrorism. There are plenty of hacks and spoofs just waiting to fool tourists. I am risking Israel's good name, because I'm sure that if you actually get played, you'll be much angrier.

Second, watch your back. If you see a person with an unusually large coat or dress or something - go away. If you go on a bus and someone wierd is there - get down and switch buses. Better tired than blown to pieces. Also, do try to avoid large gathering places. Choose parties and clubs that aren't very famous. You'll have troubles getting in anyway

Rosh ha-shana is new years eve. It's just a celebration people do with their family at home.

However, more worriesome is Yom Kippur. People are not supposed to drive in pre-dominantly Jewish neighbourhoods. People dress in white clothes, fast for 24 hours, and pray alot. Teenagers wander the streets and gather in large groups. This can potentially attract a bombing, though closures are likely.
Old September 2, 2003, 17:44   #7
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"Might I suggest a purchase..."

Bah. This can't possibly be worse than visiting Washington D.C., and I didn't need one of those there.

--"Tel Aviv, ha! Tell me when you're going somewhere dangerous"

Heh. I'm trying not to ^_^ This just happens to be where the vendor is located.

--"There are plenty of hacks and spoofs just waiting to fool tourists."

Just like any city, then...

--"If you go on a bus"

Theoretically, this one shouldn't be necessary. The vendor is supposed to fetch me from the airport, and the hotel is close to their office.

--"Rosh ha-shana is new years eve. It's just a celebration people do with their family at home."

Hmm. I was just worried that I might have trouble finding an open restaurant then. From what I've read online, it's supposed to be no work, but I don't know how much that means. Just like how Sunday is supposed to be a no-work day for Christians, yet almost nothing is closed on Sunday in the US (no matter how fundamentalist some people think we are).

Still, no particular sights to see in the area that anyone would recommend visiting?

Wraith
Cry Cheeble and let loose the hamsters of war!
Old September 2, 2003, 17:47   #8
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 04:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Wraith
--"Might I suggest a purchase..."

Bah. This can't possibly be worse than visiting Washington D.C., and I didn't need one of those there.

--"Tel Aviv, ha! Tell me when you're going somewhere dangerous"

Heh. I'm trying not to ^_^ This just happens to be where the vendor is located.

--"There are plenty of hacks and spoofs just waiting to fool tourists."

Just like any city, then...

--"If you go on a bus"

Theoretically, this one shouldn't be necessary. The vendor is supposed to fetch me from the airport, and the hotel is close to their office.

--"Rosh ha-shana is new years eve. It's just a celebration people do with their family at home."

Hmm. I was just worried that I might have trouble finding an open restaurant then. From what I've read online, it's supposed to be no work, but I don't know how much that means. Just like how Sunday is supposed to be a no-work day for Christians, yet almost nothing is closed on Sunday in the US (no matter how fundamentalist some people think we are).

Still, no particular sights to see in the area that anyone would recommend visiting?

Wraith
Cry Cheeble and let loose the hamsters of war!
From what i recall the standard tourist sites in TA are the beach, and the old city of Jaffa.
Old September 2, 2003, 21:16   #9
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
Well I don't think you'll be in a lot of trouble dining for Rosh Ha-shana.

I think some restaurants are open, and if anything, the hotel you're staying at will probably have a large festive dinner.

As for what / where to do:

http://www.tel-aviv.gov.il/english/home.asp

Also, if you wanna check out Haifa :
http://www.haifa.muni.il/English/Default.htm

Also, let us know if you want a small poly meet.
Old September 2, 2003, 21:43   #10
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:07
Tel Aviv on its worst day doesn't match the US on it's best. Think on that and weep for us. My hometown of Chicago has had 400 murders so far this year.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 2, 2003, 23:03   #11
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Tel Aviv on its worst day doesn't match the US on it's best. Think on that and weep for us. My hometown of Chicago has had 400 murders so far this year.
mostly gang related...