Old September 2, 2003, 15:16   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 01:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Star Wars Galaxies
Has anyone played this game?

I checked it out at my brother's house. A bit pricey though. Close to $15 a month not to mention $50 for the game. Though if you purchase 3 months you can get it down to $13 or $14.

The lack of space vehicles on the initial game release is a huge disappointment. And no mounts!! I want to ride a ton-ton dammit.

There are some things better than everquest, some worse. I never actually played everquest myself though.

I just have yet to play a mmorpg. I keep meaning to play one. I've been checking this game out and also Eve. both games have some good points to them. And have great graphics.

I just can't get the motivation to buy them. I do like the world immersion (or universe immersion in Eve). But the lack of a storyline is bothersome. Although the designers hope that people can write their own storyline with games like Eve. And lots of things can happen between the factions. But I still feel like they are missing something.
Old September 2, 2003, 15:57   #2
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 08:07
I've never played one because of the price and the time commitment. I have friends that play Everquest and Star Wars Galaxies. Both sound pretty good but if I had the money I'd jump on Everquest and ask to be on one of the test servers.
Old September 2, 2003, 16:12   #3
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 03:07
Read PCGAMERS current mag out in newstands. It has a review that pretty much disses Star Wars Galaxies.

Plus I refuse to pay on a monthly basis to play a game. That's just not right. In fact it's wrong.
Old September 2, 2003, 17:58   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yeah the game still has bugs.

And leaving out all these features until expansion packs is just wrong.

I still may buy Everquest 2 though. But I don't think I'll settle for anything less than the best.

But I really only have time to play 1 hour a night when I'm working. Though on weekends I can play for 12 hours a day or so . But even that doesn't seem like enough to cover the monthly costs.

Because some of those guys are so hardcore they are 1000 times better than you. And they always seem to have uber equipment.

I prefer free online games like Diablo 2 and Neverwinter Nights.
Old September 2, 2003, 20:14   #5
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I would love to play Star Wars Galaxies, or EverQuest, but I refuse to pay 15 bucks a month to do so.
Old September 2, 2003, 20:49   #6
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

$15? damn, they keep nudging the price up. First it was $10, then $13, and now $15. won't be long untill MMOGs will be charging $20 a month.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 3, 2003, 02:21   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 04:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
And leaving out all these features until expansion packs is just wrong.
Sony Online (SOE) is pulling this crap with Planetside too. Many features that were PROMISED are still not in that game, and now they have announced an xpack for PS as well.

Screw them.

-edit-

Oh, and don't even get me started on the bugs and inbalances that still aren't fixed three months after release.
Old September 3, 2003, 07:20   #8
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I learned my mistake with EverQuest. Never, ever, ever, play a sony MMOG - they take your money and use it to make expansion packs that you have to pay for.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 3, 2003, 09:56   #9
Zkribbler
Deity

I got an Everquest game from the close-out shelf. It only costs $10 and they threw in a free month's play.

I found it to me incredibly boring. The first time I spawned, it was in the dead of night and I was facing a rock wall. So I was totally blind & I could walk forward. After several tries, I figured out what the problem was, so I spend the rest of the month killing the only things I was strong enough to take on--rats.

I had some initial interest in SWG but when I found out they were going to have only 8 playable races, I gave up on it.
Old September 3, 2003, 12:29   #10
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 09:07
Any European servers yet for Galaxies or is that in the still to come list ?
Old September 4, 2003, 06:55   #11
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 09:07
No European launch yet
Old September 4, 2003, 08:12   #12
Cookie Monster
King

As some others have mentioned I too have a problem with having to pay every month to play a game. I'm sure these games are fun and addictive but they are also plagued with problems and undelivered features.

You'd think companies that charge monthly fees to play their games would be able to offer support for their defective products. Then I look at companies like Paradox who actually listen to the forums and post many patches to keep their reputation intact.
Old September 4, 2003, 08:24   #13
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I have no problem paying to play - $10-$15 is not much for a month of entertaintment. I just have a problem with having to pay the standard (and in fact, often above-standard) price for the initial game. Which is why I am always very hesitant to get new MMOGs and why I'm playing an oldy like WW2online now.

And every MMOG out has better support then Paradox offers, to varying degrees. You certainly don't have to wait 6+ months for a patch, and many of them also promise new content every two weeks or every month or whatever.

I know WW2online gets things done a bit slowly and clumsily... but they've been doing it for 2+ years now and are straped for cash - they don't milk their customers for money with expansion packs like Sony does.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 4, 2003, 10:33   #14
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
And every MMOG out has better support then Paradox offers, to varying degrees. You certainly don't have to wait 6+ months for a patch, and many of them also promise new content every two weeks or every month or whatever.
Paradox wrt their strategy games(HOI, EU, et. al)? I was unaware that they made MMOG's.
Old September 4, 2003, 10:43   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich

Paradox wrt their strategy games(HOI, EU, et. al)? I was unaware that they made MMOG's.
You get more support for a game that you pay a monthly subscription to, regardless of genre.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 4, 2003, 10:51   #16
Cookie Monster
King

Well I stand corrected!

I heard about the monster fiasco when wwiionline was released. I thought for sure that company was going under. Now after 2 years things are completely different! I've read that most of the glaring issues have been solved. They are a small company strapped for cash yet look at the results they give you

Sony with all their billions has no excuse for allowing a MMOG to be released broken.
Old September 6, 2003, 11:00   #17
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 17:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
$15? damn, they keep nudging the price up. First it was $10, then $13, and now $15. won't be long untill MMOGs will be charging $20 a month.
bugger

that is so cruel to do that
Old September 6, 2003, 11:03   #18
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 17:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
Well I stand corrected!

I heard about the monster fiasco when wwiionline was released. I thought for sure that company was going under. Now after 2 years things are completely different! I've read that most of the glaring issues have been solved. They are a small company strapped for cash yet look at the results they give you

Sony with all their billions has no excuse for allowing a MMOG to be released broken.
ahh yes, when the money is going to small companies, and they are walking the walk etc....

but to just disapear into a giant....