Old September 2, 2003, 21:23   #1
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Damn Floridiot! @#%$!$#
I GOT HIT BY A *&#$%& CAR!!!! (I'm fine, btw. Only injury I suffered was a broken nail).

The whole reason I ride on the sidewalks in the first place is because these people are too dangerous to ride on the same street with, but leave it to them to find a way to get me anyway, at a crosswalk! 8th worst city in the US for accidents per capita (five of the ten worst are in Florida, thus Floridiots).

Buttmuncher was looking the other way, but he was stopped so I figured it was safe to go past him, but NO, he takes his foot off the break and mashes my bike (I pulled my foot out of the way when I saw movement).

The police take OVER AN HOUR to arrive, and then he doesn't feel like doing any paperwork, so no tickets get issued (running a stop sign, blocking a crosswalk, reckless driving--and a riding the bike on a sidewalk for me, most likely). He ADMITTED to the police officer he wasn't looking.

But what it came down to is this guy was gonna refuse to pay for the new rim, which is the only reason I sat around waiting for the cop. It would be too much hassle to fight with his insurance or take him to small claims court for a measly $50.

But I coulda been hurt, bad!

#$%&*@()#$*_@#+_^%#$()_@#($
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 2, 2003, 21:29   #2
Theben
Deity

Well it's cool you're okay, bro.

If you got his license plate, track down his address. Then you can key his car.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old September 2, 2003, 21:35   #3
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

That exact same thing happened to me, two summers ago, only it was a tiny little bump, and not really worth sticking around for. I just rode on, and hoped that the driver would take it as a lesson.
Albert Speer
Old September 2, 2003, 21:36   #4
chequita guevara
Emperor

At first I did ride on, but then I noticed the rim was really warpped, so I turned around and peddled after him. Luckily (or unluckily since all I did was waste my time) he was stuck in traffic, and thus catchable.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 2, 2003, 21:41   #5
iamlod
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:08
I just recently went through the whole "driving" thing. Learning to drive, taking lessons, learning all the rules. I also just got a car, so I can put it all to good use.
I remember similar experiences when riding a bicycle, so I'll do my best not to hit anyone. I haven't been in any accidents yet, but when you're new at it, there can be a lot of distractions.
In the words of George Carlin: There's a lot of **** you have to put up with when you're driving.

So please, if I happen to be the next one to hit you, don't get pissed at me...
Old September 2, 2003, 21:46   #6
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Actually, it's an interesting coincidence - just two days ago, I hit my brakes too hard going over a little bump, and slid off my bike and fell on the pavement, scratching myself up a bit, and having the bike land unceremoniously upside down on my back.

The lesson I learned? Well, I learned two, actually - never bike and eat ice cream at the same time, and never bother to wear a helmet when you're not going to be biking that fast.
Albert Speer
Old September 2, 2003, 22:04   #7
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 03:08
Problem is that most people take driving for granted and don't really pay attention to things outside their little bubble.

My 16 year old cousin rolled her brand new 2003 full size ford pickup last weekend on a gravel road. She was going the speed limit but still took a corner too fast. For those that don't have experience on gravel roads, they can be slick as hell when you go too fast. Anyway, the cop didn't give her a ticket and in his words said it was " Too much truck for a little girl to be driving"

Glad your ok che. Pedestrians and bikers are in a bad situation in a lot of places. Drivers are busy looking for other cars and don't seem to notice anyone else..
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old September 2, 2003, 23:38   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 01:08
Drive a SUV
Old September 2, 2003, 23:59   #9
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 00:08
Sue the ******* in small claims anyway. Make him pay, and look like an ******* in the process.
Old September 3, 2003, 00:44   #10
MrFun
Emperor

Chegitz -- you shouldn't wear anything that visibly shows you're a commie.

Otherwise, that guy would not have "mistakenly" taken his foot off the brakes.
Old September 3, 2003, 02:06   #11
Victor Galis
Emperor

To be fair, the only collision between a bike and a car I was involved in, ended far worse for the car than for me. This was years ago, I slid off the sidewalk (not towards the street side), but the wheel rubbed against the sidewalk throwing my bike back up onto the sidewalk and at a parked car, which I put a dent into with my handlebar. I managed to stay on my bike. (This is why a sidewalk should never be higher up than the ground on the side opposite the street.)
Old September 3, 2003, 04:08   #12
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 00:08
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
That sucks man. I can sympathize. Florida and Arizona must have the worst drivers anywhere. I personally have been hit in my car 3 times in the past 3 years (none my fault). About 6 years ago, I was actually hit by a car while walking to school, same kind of thing as how you got hit. He was turning right, not moving but not looking and of course as soon as I get in front of the car... bam.

Bike/car accidents happen all the time up at ASU. Seems just about every year, someone is killed on a bike. Several years back, one of my dad's students was killed. Two years ago, one of the campus busses ran over and killed a biker. I personally have seen a student end up on the hood of a car while riding his bike because someone ran a stop sign (going slowly thank god).

Anyway Che, that sucks, but at least you weren't hurt.
Old September 3, 2003, 05:36   #13
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 09:08
If it is just your cycle, not you, and minor damage at that, forget it and move on. It won't be the last time.

When I was a student (a long time ago) I was riding home and swerved to avoid a pothole. A car ran into the back of me, I was thrown onto the front of the car and headbutted the windscreen. No-one wore helmets on bicycles then. I was lucky to get away with four stitches in my forehead.

My cycle needed a new rear wheel.

Moral: it could have been a lot worse.
Old September 3, 2003, 07:20   #14
David Floyd
Emperor

It was probably some old bastard, right?
Old September 3, 2003, 08:36   #15
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
It was probably some old bastard, right?
Not all that old, maybe mid to late fifties. Odd how the older you get, the further off old gets.
Old September 3, 2003, 08:47   #16
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

You might well lose. The fact finder could easily find that riding on the sidwalk and crosswalk were the main negligent causes, both are 'negligence per se', being illegal.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old September 3, 2003, 09:05   #17
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
You might well lose. The fact finder could easily find that riding on the sidwalk and crosswalk were the main negligent causes, both are 'negligence per se', being illegal.
Which is why I'm not gonna fight it, despite the cop saying I had right of way as a pedestrian. Or the judge could split it down the middle (since we both broke the law), and considering that there was some damage to his car, that would still be a loss for me.

Not that I've checked, but I assume riding a bike on the sidewalk is just as illegal here as it was in Illinois and Nebraska. But I'm not risknig my life for a law riding among these idiots. About a year back, a whole bunch of cyclists (seven) were taken out by a street sweeper. At least two died. That's the most extreme example, but cyclists get killed here all the time. I do not think being able to ride on the street is an important enough right to risk my life for.

Ultimately, it's not important enough to waste the court's time. I'm okay and I'm only out about $50, give or take. I can handle that.
Old September 3, 2003, 11:59   #18
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:08
Sic the dingoes on him
Old September 3, 2003, 12:11   #19
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Shouldn't wear your Commie clothes out in public.
Old September 3, 2003, 12:58   #20
MrFun
Emperor

You don't need to steal my line, Slowwy.
Old September 3, 2003, 12:59   #21
chequita guevara
Emperor

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Fun.
Old September 3, 2003, 13:00   #22
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Glad you're ok, commie.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 3, 2003, 13:03   #23
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

I thought he was talking about your hammer and sickle ear-rings.
Old September 3, 2003, 13:04   #24
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
I thought he was talking about your hammer and sickle ear-rings.
Actually, I lost those long ago. I haven't found any new ones in almost ten years. Maybe I need to go look in California.
Old September 3, 2003, 13:05   #25
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 3, 2003, 13:05   #26
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Fun.
well, ok then
Old September 3, 2003, 13:07   #27
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 18:08
You're a brave boy riding a bike in the US - they can't drive for sh*t over there...
Old September 3, 2003, 13:10   #28
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
I haven't found any new ones in almost ten years. Maybe I need to go look in California.
I'll keep my eyes out, shouldn't be too hard to find. In fact, I think Davis is handing them out as his campeign buttons.!
Old September 3, 2003, 18:07   #29
David Floyd
Emperor

What gets me is that the driver refused to pay for the damage. I mean, come on. Regardless of the law, he should feel SOMEWHAT responsible for the damage.
Old September 3, 2003, 18:08   #30
MrFun
Emperor

Chegitz, now that I think about it . . . .

could Slowwhand have been the driver?