Old September 10, 2003, 11:43   #31
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 02:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Mead

you have stated in pretty good detail the specialization I do. I also will build a crawler factory but that usually become a military base in later parts of the game and a pod factory ( crawled nuts to grow fast and enough mins) but this usually morphs into a smaller science centre later
Old September 11, 2003, 20:49   #32
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 03:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
Mead

you have stated in pretty good detail the specialization I do. I also will build a crawler factory but that usually become a military base in later parts of the game and a pod factory ( crawled nuts to grow fast and enough mins) but this usually morphs into a smaller science centre later
I'll usually tend to have some bases that are well suited to building colony pods too.

Usually, I primarily devote every base near one of the specialized bases, particularly those near the SSC, to producing crawlers.

Often, while I am waiting for a new tech to come along before I can build the new lab enhancing facility (or SP) at my SSC, I will use the, by then, substantial production capabilities of the SSC to quickly make some real expensive military units that I need or want at the time. Otherwise, I will have the SSC pumping out crawlers during the slow times. (I seldom have them make trawlers because I usually locate the SSC in an interior location of my empire for increased security; and closer proximity to the higher elevations for the energy park.)

Mead
Old September 12, 2003, 07:09   #33
HeymlicH
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber

Actually there is a lot wrong with it if you do it without thought or consideration. If you have a great science base in the middle of your empire why on earth would you build a command centre or perimeter, or bioenhancement facility there Instead pump out a crawler a turn and watch the magic of that flowing through all the science enhancement.

OK, here is why it is not wrong for me:
1. I can afford it (since I delay it until I know I will win - I think I stated this in my previous post)
2. It is not much work (since in this stage of the game I use the Gov.)
3. In games vs the AI, I never use crawlers. It's not that I think they aren't good. Actually they are too good, and the AI doesn't seem to use them. So using crawlers would give me a huge advantage over the AI. (I also don't build Condensators for the same reason).
Old September 12, 2003, 11:35   #34
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 02:08
Heymlich

IF you build everything and avoid crawlers as a handicap, thats fine.

Its just not the best strat . . . The guy originally posting was having a tough time in his game. Frankly he was fighting for survival . . . thats where my comment came from-- He had facilities built where they did not make sense when he had a pressing need for more units, formers and crawlers. I played out his game a bit and one of the first things I did was sell off a bunch of less useful facilities.
Old September 12, 2003, 11:45   #35
HeymlicH
Chieftain

Yes. But this guy also stated he wants to build everything, because it is more fun for him. So my advise basically was: You can have as much fun as you want, but make sure you win, first. That's all I wanted to say.
Old September 13, 2003, 02:35   #36
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 04:08
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
As useless as it is to this discussion , I still will say it :
My "strategy" is to have fun first . If I win, then, hooray for me . If I lose, then, hooray for me . Either way, I had fun, and it's all good .
Old September 15, 2003, 07:16   #37
HeymlicH
Chieftain

funny.