Old September 3, 2003, 02:26   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 04:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
ok, so is it NOW worth it?
Attention Kmart shoppers:

With the patches, xpack, mods, and slow cooking, is Civ3 now worth going back to? (I'm looking for an answer Yin26 can respect.)

I'm serious about this. I wasn't too impressed with the game, but I know things change after time, especially after expansion packs get slapped on.
Old September 3, 2003, 02:45   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 09:09
In a word YES!!

If you want more than that then spend some time reading the forums here.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old September 3, 2003, 04:39   #3
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 09:09
The game is much improved with the later patches to PTW.

As for buying it either go for the gold edition with PTW and Civ3 or wait until Conquests comes out and you will get it all in the one package. Conquests looks very good indeed.
Old September 3, 2003, 05:42   #4
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 10:09
Yepp! Wait for conquests and then it's civ time. Conquests will include the PtW content.
Old September 3, 2003, 07:27   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 08:09
Wait and get Civ3 + Conquests in a couple of months.

Yes it is worth it, but then again I've said that since the beginning....
Old September 3, 2003, 10:34   #6
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 03:09
Yes, I think Civ3 has been greatly improved with the patches and expansion packs. Considering Conquests is expected out at the end of October, you might as well wait for that and save some $$$.
Have you switched to Firefox yet?
Old September 3, 2003, 11:49   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

This is probably not the place to ask. I say that as most here are going to say yes. We are after all playing the game.
So what was the issues that you found wanting? Without knowing that, it would be hard to say if the changes address your concerns.
Old September 3, 2003, 12:32   #8
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Yes, it has ALWAYS been worth it, if you ask me.
Old September 3, 2003, 12:40   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:09
Re: ok, so is it NOW worth it?
Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
Attention Kmart shoppers:

With the patches, xpack, mods, and slow cooking, is Civ3 now worth going back to? (I'm looking for an answer Yin26 can respect.)

I'm serious about this. I wasn't too impressed with the game, but I know things change after time, especially after expansion packs get slapped on.
If you can find it bundled with the xp for less then $20 I'd say it worth it. Other wise no it is not.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 3, 2003, 12:47   #10
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Now that's an answer I can respect!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old September 3, 2003, 13:23   #11
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I'd wait and see whats in the XP. If its just window dressing (new units, buildings, etc) I'd agree with Oerdin. If there are fundamental, extensive, changes to the XP then it may be worth more.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 3, 2003, 14:05   #12
David Murray
Prince

The naysayers are back!
Old September 3, 2003, 14:43   #13
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

There's nothing in the game now that will make it more "worth it" than it was when it was first released. Either you enjoy the way Civ3 turned out, or you do not. I cannot imagine the nay-sayers will find any good reason to pick up Civ3 again; the game is essentially the same as it always was.

Why not just accept that it's a matter of personal preference, and leave it at that? Why is it some sort of crime that Civ3 did not (and does not) appeal to everyone, including fans of Civ2?

When RoN came out, I was seriously unimpressed. I debated for a bit as to why I thought it's a so-so game, but realised this was a pointless exercise. The same is true here.

If there's anything that will compel you, it is this: Civ3 is still a popular game, almost two years after its initial release. The "test of time" argument is the only one that I can think of that has any merit, and even then it should not convince players who simply do not like the game to begin playing it again.

Dominae
Old September 3, 2003, 17:52   #14
David Murray
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
When RoN came out, I was seriously unimpressed. I debated for a bit as to why I thought it's a so-so game, but realised this was a pointless exercise. The same is true here.
Well, perhaps because it is a shoddy rip-off of Age of Empires 2 (a true classic).
Old September 3, 2003, 18:39   #15
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:09
Re: ok, so is it NOW worth it?
Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba

With the patches, xpack, mods, and slow cooking, is Civ3 now worth going back to? (I'm looking for an answer Yin26 can respect.).
If your question is 'is it worth your time to play if you have everything installed?' the answer is totally.

Last edited by G'Kar; September 3, 2003 at 20:39.
Old September 4, 2003, 02:32   #16
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 10:09
Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray

Well, perhaps because it is a shoddy rip-off of Age of Empires 2 (a true classic).
Old September 4, 2003, 07:03   #17
aoav160
Settler

Local Time: 02:09
Play the Civ board game, there's a challenge.
Old September 4, 2003, 09:17   #18
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 11:09
It's a decent game now, although I wasn't impressed by the PTW expansion too much. I have recently came up with a couple of good reasons as to why CtP2 has better gameplay, but Civ 3 is challenging and good... hope Conquests is good.
Old September 4, 2003, 12:15   #19
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray

Argh, well at least you answered my question about whether or not to try RoN. I absolutely hated AoE, so I guess I probably wouldn't like RoN.
Old September 4, 2003, 12:30   #20
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

What Dominae said. If you liked it before (or perhaps were on the brink of liking it, but were annoyed by bugs), then you'll like it now. If not, you won't.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 4, 2003, 13:53   #21
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Quote:
Argh, well at least you answered my question about whether or not to try RoN. I absolutely hated AoE, so I guess I probably wouldn't like RoN.
Can't agree less. I absolutely don't understand people who say RoN is a ripoff of AoE games. I have played a TON of AoE games, and all I can say is, they're not similar with RoN. There's only a little similarity on the surface, but the strategies are different, and the actual gameplay differs too. AoE is military based, focused on quick battles, RoN is economy based. Research plays a huge role in RoN, next to none in AoE.

BTW - I know of AoE people who love RoN, and those who hate it.
Old September 4, 2003, 19:01   #22
David Murray
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Quote:
Can't agree less. I absolutely don't understand people who say RoN is a ripoff of AoE games. I have played a TON of AoE games, and all I can say is, they're not similar with RoN. There's only a little similarity on the surface, but the strategies are different, and the actual gameplay differs too. AoE is military based, focused on quick battles, RoN is economy based. Research plays a huge role in RoN, next to none in AoE.

BTW - I know of AoE people who love RoN, and those who hate it.
Edit: I just noticed your sig. Obviously you play AoE 2, however ... it seems you've forgotten all about the blacksmith, the trading market, the university, advancing through the ages, the research at the town center, the research at mining and lumber camps, the research and upgrading of troops and ships ... etc etc etc. Military based perhaps, but you won't win any wars without resources and up to date troops ....

Oh, and er, you seem to have forgotten the wonder victory option in AoE 2 ....

Last edited by David Murray; September 4, 2003 at 19:12.
Old September 4, 2003, 20:09   #23
vee4473
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
There's nothing in the game now that will make it more "worth it" than it was when it was first released. Either you enjoy the way Civ3 turned out, or you do not. I cannot imagine the nay-sayers will find any good reason to pick up Civ3 again; the game is essentially the same as it always was.

Why not just accept that it's a matter of personal preference, and leave it at that? Why is it some sort of crime that Civ3 did not (and does not) appeal to everyone, including fans of Civ2?

If there's anything that will compel you, it is this: Civ3 is still a popular game, almost two years after its initial release. The "test of time" argument is the only one that I can think of that has any merit, and even then it should not convince players who simply do not like the game to begin playing it again.

Dominae

You are correct in saying that those who were disappointed with civ3 when it was released will probably still be, but I don't think it is wrong to look for second opinions on the near 2 year anniversary of it's release.

After all, saying that there is nothing new to change nay sayers is your opinion.

I think it is fair to ask players after 2 years whether or not their gameplay concerns have been addressed.

On a game that has such a high level of history and prestige (and alot to live up to) as Civ3, a "satisfaction report" after 2 years and numerous patches is not uncalled for I don't think.

For me, I enjoy the game for the most part. I did not buy PTW and will be debating buying the latest x-pak. (If PTW is required, i'm out).

I'm more interested in gameplay patches, not x-paks that only add more civs since I only play as one civ anyway.

I like the game, I don't love it.

I still enjoy SMAC more.
Old September 4, 2003, 20:54   #24
WarpStorm
King

PTW will not be required and its features will be included.

In the case where you only play as one civ (a little limiting IMHO, but whatever floats your boat) there might be less incentive to get C3C. Your favorite Civ (which is it?) likely will not be in the conquests. The core game has been enhanced.
Old September 4, 2003, 21:19   #25
vee4473
King

now that I think about it, even if you only play a s a favorite civ, the addition of playting against new civs with new traits poses alot of interesting and potential fun.

kinda like smax did...

oh gee whiz, i don't know...
Old September 4, 2003, 21:20   #26
vee4473
King

i play as the americans. are they not in conquests?
Old September 4, 2003, 22:09   #27
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

vee4473, I agree is is fair to ask, but if the one doing the asking does not tell what they did not care for, how can we answer? I mean if it was due to no ZoC, that is one answer. If it was due to the combat, that is another.
Most of the posters that were not happy about the game had a few of the 4 or 5 main complaints. I would say 1 or 2 were improved, the rest not. I of course did not agree with their point of view.
So if we are to take them seriously, they should come in and say I did not like X Y and Z are they still the same? Then they can get a useful response, otherwise they really only want to jerk our chain.
Old September 4, 2003, 22:23   #28
WarpStorm
King

The Americans are still in the main game of Conquests as well as one of the scenarios that has been disclosed. They (for obvious reasons) aren't in most of the new scenarios as they weren't around in the time frame of those scenarios.
Old September 5, 2003, 06:21   #29
Solver
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Edit: I just noticed your sig. Obviously you play AoE 2, however ... it seems you've forgotten all about the blacksmith, the trading market, the university, advancing through the ages, the research at the town center, the research at mining and lumber camps, the research and upgrading of troops and ships ... etc etc etc. Military based perhaps, but you won't win any wars without resources and up to date troops ....

Oh, and er, you seem to have forgotten the wonder victory option in AoE 2 ....
What level did you play AoE2 on? University was the only "pure research" building, but the only techs researched were Murder Holes, and sometimes Chemistry. Yes, you had to upgrade your military and economy techs, but it was, well, very different. There was no tech-tree like in RoN. RoN still has the AoE-style upgrades at Granary, etc, but AoE had nothing like RoN's library tech tree, too.

Wonder victory, duh. Of several hundred games I've played, I don't think more than ten ended with a Wonder.

Now, in RoN, you have the options about when you want to attack. In AoE2, you must attack in the Feudal Age, preferrably at a time of 13 minutes or so. Fast Castle is the only other option, but only viable if you can do it really fast (under 15)... Feudal players got too good. And, those battles are the key in AoE2. Things like attrition and diplomacy in RoN do really make economy more important than an army, and make playing without any significant army an option.
Old September 5, 2003, 06:25   #30
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 17:09
Get into it, it is fun, a bit stupid in some things, but still a fun game.

I hope you enjoy it.