Old December 22, 2003, 03:05   #121
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
210 AD to Soltz.
Old December 23, 2003, 01:34   #122
Soltz
Iron CiversC4WDG Delian League
King

Local Time: 00:15
Turn got delayed by a couple of Christmas parties but has now been sent on to the Ottomans.
Old December 25, 2003, 08:34   #123
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 03:15
230ad sent again. Hopefully, not garbled by excite this time.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old December 26, 2003, 02:28   #124
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Cool. That was totally weird though.

230 AD to Soltz.

SpencerH: Regarding your Sig......it's 9.99 now! Do you think you'll pick it up now?

SirOsis: If you respect mine, I'll respect yours.
Old December 26, 2003, 16:32   #125
Soltz
King

250 AD sent to the Ottomans.

Enjoy the holiday!!!

Old December 28, 2003, 09:33   #126
SpencerH
Emperor

There's no rush even at $10. It's still not properly patched and I'm currently playing medieval total war. Then there's RoN and WC3 'the frigid throne' (or some weird name).
Old January 5, 2004, 08:21   #127
SpencerH
Emperor

250AD sent
Old January 5, 2004, 14:01   #128
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 09:15
I've been looking at medieval total war. How is it? I liked Shogun and med looks like it has more strategy. Unfortunately I don't really need another game.
Old January 5, 2004, 16:54   #129
BigFree
Deity

250 AD to Soltz.
Old January 5, 2004, 17:54   #130
SpencerH
Emperor

MTW (I paid $20) is better than shogun, and as I understand it, the expansion improves it another step. The big change will come with Rome Total War (due out later in the year) which has much better graphics and a much better strategic component.

from the rome total war faqs

"A. Total War games are in genre of their own. If you love strategy games, you will love RTW, but this isn't an RTS, it's much, much more. You can tailor how you play the game to appeal more to your tastes. If you want a perfect balance of politics, micro management and real time epic sized battles you've got it. If you want to spend more time in the senate than on blood stained battle field you've got it. If you want to prove your might purely on how you master the art of war then you've got it.

The biggest change you'll notice is on the campaign map. The 'Risk-style' provinces have disappeared to be replaced by point-to-point movement for armies, and settlements with their own regions (hinterlands) that they draw on depending on the size of the settlement. A big, advanced city will have more influence on its surrounds than a small town. Armies and characters on this map are now fully animated and march (or sneak, in the case of spies!) to fulfil your orders.

Cities generate income and train new troops, drawing on local resources. Each city can be assigned a governor, who will do his best (well, probably) to manage the place and keep order.

What is cool and new is that when you fight a battle to control the city, every building that's in a city on the campaign map is there on the battlefield. Destroy a building in a siege, and it's gone on the campaign map. Storm a city and take it with siege towers, batterings rams or artillery and you'll find that you can use any buildings still standing to further your plans of conquest. Better still, the buildings in a town even show who made them, as each culture has its own style of architecture!

Q. Can you make your own treaties?

A. You will be able to negotiate specific treaties and other agreements with other powers. This lets factions agree military treaties, trade agreements, trade cities and territory, arrnage diplomatic marriages, demand tributes, pay blackmail money, swap information and so forth. Deals don't have to be symmetrical, so you can trade a city for military access, and some cash if you want!

Q. Are maps fully dynamic i.e. what happens on the battle map has a physical effect on the strategy map and vis versa?

A. Rome: Total War features a continuous 3D map covering the whole of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, and any point on this map could be a battlefield. The Campaign map is comprised of thousands of 'battle maps'. This means that you could fight on approximately 10,000 battlefields, each of which can change according to your actions in the game.

Every mountain, hill, forest, farm, volcano, city and Wonder of the World that you see on the campaign map is right there on a battlefield. As the map changes with roads, forts and farms being built it is reflected on the relevant battlefields. As the seasons change you see snow on the north of the campaign map and on northern battlefields. This continuity between the two levels of the game opens up all sorts of strategic options. You can build forts to guard mountain passes, set ambushes in forests, make beach landings, launch fast raids into enemy territory, move your armies through allied territory to co-ordinate campaigns, capture Wonders of the World, ford rivers and generally try to out-manoeuvre your enemies. It all helps to make you feel like you are in one epic, continuous world."
Old January 6, 2004, 14:47   #131
SirOsis
King

Rome looks pretty nice. I see you can get Medieval for 30 with the Viking expansion. Have you tried that out?

Turn sent.
Old January 6, 2004, 16:24   #132
SpencerH
Emperor

Not yet.
Old January 7, 2004, 08:45   #133
SpencerH
Emperor

260ad sent
Old January 7, 2004, 16:00   #134
BigFree
Deity

260 AD to Soltz.
Old January 8, 2004, 13:26   #135
BigFree
Deity

270 AD to Soltz.
Old January 9, 2004, 08:09   #136
SpencerH
Emperor

280 AD sent

Oh the perfidity........
Old January 9, 2004, 13:38   #137
SirOsis
King

Perfidy?

Hardly. England was warned not to enter Ottoman waters and return to their lands. Even after lavish gifts were bestowed upon England they disregarded a simple request from a peaceful empire.

We therefore send your scout's head back to you so that you might be more receptive to requests in the future.
Old January 9, 2004, 14:39   #138
SpencerH
Emperor

The scout you murdered and the ship you tried to sink (I thought it was barbs ) were (and are) in neutral waters.
Old January 9, 2004, 15:15   #139
SirOsis
King

Those waters you traveled through and where you are now are claimed by the Ottoman Empire. They are not "neutral". If you would have listened to our envoys this unfortunate incident could have been avoided.

Instead you ignore our requests and take our scholars work with no comment except continuing on your course through our waters.

The Ottomans condemn your actions and would warn the Babylonians and Greeks that the English take goodwill and return nothing except war.
Old January 9, 2004, 17:10   #140
BigFree
Deity

Hmm...This is interesting because I asked the Ottomans to not enter my territory and I ensured them that I would not enter theirs if that was to be respected. But, the Ottomans entered my territory anyways. So, now, I am entering theirs. I did not want the Ottomans to scout my territory, but since they seem intent on scouting mine, I will scout theirs. Babylon has no intention of war or war like actions. The Ottomans are completely responsible for the Baylonian Empire's intrusion into their waters.
Old January 10, 2004, 08:48   #141
SpencerH
Emperor

290AD sent
Old January 10, 2004, 08:55   #142
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SirOsis
Those waters you traveled through and where you are now are claimed by the Ottoman Empire. They are not "neutral". If you would have listened to our envoys this unfortunate incident could have been avoided.

Instead you ignore our requests and take our scholars work with no comment except continuing on your course through our waters.

The Ottomans condemn your actions and would warn the Babylonians and Greeks that the English take goodwill and return nothing except war.

After a dangerous sea voyage our sailors did indeed enter Ottoman waters. You asked us to leave your waters (which we did). Then you attacked our galley in neutral waters despite our assurance that we had no hostile intent and without a declaration of war. Then you attacked our scout (outside of Ottoman claimed land).

Your reputation preceeds you Sir. In contrast, the Greeks and Babylonians know the worth of English honour.
Old January 10, 2004, 14:51   #143
SirOsis
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH

After a dangerous sea voyage our sailors did indeed enter Ottoman waters. You asked us to leave your waters (which we did). Then you attacked our galley in neutral waters despite our assurance that we had no hostile intent and without a declaration of war. Then you attacked our scout (outside of Ottoman claimed land).

Your reputation preceeds you Sir. In contrast, the Greeks and Babylonians know the worth of English honour.
The land your scout was on is claimed by the Ottoman Empire. We also requested you to return to English waters not continue on your course through Ottoman lands.

The Ottomans gave you technology under the assumption you would withdraw. We heard of no thanks nor your intentions. The English apparently lack the ability to be gracious.

It is your reputation that preceeds you. I have not heard the Greeks or Babylonians praise English honour. I doubt any exists.
Old January 10, 2004, 14:55   #144
SirOsis
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
Hmm...This is interesting because I asked the Ottomans to not enter my territory and I ensured them that I would not enter theirs if that was to be respected. But, the Ottomans entered my territory anyways. So, now, I am entering theirs. I did not want the Ottomans to scout my territory, but since they seem intent on scouting mine, I will scout theirs. Babylon has no intention of war or war like actions. The Ottomans are completely responsible for the Baylonian Empire's intrusion into their waters.
The Ottomans have been careful not to enter your territory. We have maintained our galleys in neutral seas off your coasts and our horsmen outside your cultural boundries.

If Babylon continues its course along Ottoman shores that is a declaration of war. We are not responsible for your intrusion in our waters. You are fully responsible. Have your galley return to neutral waters or war is inevitable.
Old January 10, 2004, 15:12   #145
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:

The land your scout was on is claimed by the Ottoman Empire. We also requested you to return to English waters not continue on your course through Ottoman lands.
The land my scout landed on is not within your cultural boundaries. Shall I post a picture? More likely it's that the Ottomans simply claim all land a theirs.
Old January 10, 2004, 16:39   #146
BigFree
Deity

Quote:

The Ottomans have been careful not to enter your territory. We have maintained our galleys in neutral seas off your coasts and our horsmen outside your cultural boundries.

If Babylon continues its course along Ottoman shores that is a declaration of war. We are not responsible for your intrusion in our waters. You are fully responsible. Have your galley return to neutral waters or war is inevitable.
Sir, you were not in 'neutral' seas; you were in fact inside my borders!

I first asked that you not enter my territory; but, you did anyways. So, one 'good' turn deserves another. Did expect that your intrusion would be forgotten. Was it enough to decalre war on you over it? No, I think not, but at the very least, I will take my Galley through your territory and not respect your wishes for me to leave since you showed me none of the same respect you are now asking for.

Is it your memory that is at fault or are you just looking to pick a fight?

I hope it's the former and that you can understand my position. I also hope that you do not act in a hasty manner and declare war on me as you have done with the English. I am not looking for war, but niether will I allow your intrusions go unnoticed.
Old January 10, 2004, 18:24   #147
Soltz
King

The Greeks, either by accident or design, have not suffered incursions by any of the peoples in this dispute.

We affirm our neutrality and would be willing to assist in a peaceful resolution of this conflict.
Old January 10, 2004, 19:59   #148
BigFree
Deity

The humble Babylonians graciously accepts the offer made by the wise Greek people. Please let me know what I can do.

290 AD to Soltz.
Old January 11, 2004, 16:10   #149
SirOsis
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

Sir, you were not in 'neutral' seas; you were in fact inside my borders!

I first asked that you not enter my territory; but, you did anyways. So, one 'good' turn deserves another. Did expect that your intrusion would be forgotten. Was it enough to decalre war on you over it? No, I think not, but at the very least, I will take my Galley through your territory and not respect your wishes for me to leave since you showed me none of the same respect you are now asking for.

Is it your memory that is at fault or are you just looking to pick a fight?

I hope it's the former and that you can understand my position. I also hope that you do not act in a hasty manner and declare war on me as you have done with the English. I am not looking for war, but niether will I allow your intrusions go unnoticed.
The Ottomans have seen through your ruse. Our scholars have studied the map in which you claim we entered your territory and declare it a forgery. My captains are under strict orders not to enter the territories claimed by you. They have assured me that they did not enter Babylonian territory. I am much more inclined to believe my captains. They are most trustworthy.

Your galley within Ottoman waters has been destroyed. Apparently the Babylonians are as deaf and honourless as the English. Through your rash actions you have shown your penchant for war with the peaceful Ottoman Empire.
Old January 11, 2004, 16:24   #150
SpencerH
Emperor

Based upon their ability to 'spin' the truth I'd say the Ottomans must be Democrats.