Old September 5, 2003, 23:16   #1
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 02:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Question About Possible X-Box Purchase
Everyone:

OK, I'm planning on getting an X-Box tomorrow (Saturday) because I love RPG games and Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) is an X-Box exclusive title. Well, that and the fact that Ninja Gaiden is coming out for the XB as well. And that Panzer Dragoon Orta game. (But *not* Halo ... bleh!)

Anyway, I've heard that the controllers are bulky, and that I might want to get an "S" controller. Is this true? Or do XBs ship now with the more "hand-friendly" controllers? Also, is the XB pluggable directly into A/V slots on a TV and/or VCR? And it doesn't need a separate memory card because it has built-in memory? And it's connectable to the Internet if you have a broadband connection? And it plays DVD movies (I'm assuming one needs a "S" video input on the TV for that or, lacking that, a translator-type device)?

BTW, I'm going to keep my PS1 and maybe pick up a PS2 for the sheer joy of it all. Screw the GameCube!

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old September 5, 2003, 23:24   #2
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:19
Are you fantastically rich or something?
Old September 5, 2003, 23:29   #3
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:19
"Fantastically" rich? For buying both an X-Box and a PS2?
Old September 6, 2003, 00:22   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 08:19
Most people don't have $400 lying around to burn on video games.
Old September 6, 2003, 00:57   #5
Nostromo
Emperor

Local Time: 04:19
Re: Question About Possible X-Box Purchase
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
Everyone:

Anyway, I've heard that the controllers are bulky, and that I might want to get an "S" controller. Is this true? Or do XBs ship now with the more "hand-friendly" controllers? Also, is the XB pluggable directly into A/V slots on a TV and/or VCR? And it doesn't need a separate memory card because it has built-in memory? And it's connectable to the Internet if you have a broadband connection? And it plays DVD movies (I'm assuming one needs a "S" video input on the TV for that or, lacking that, a translator-type device)?

BTW, I'm going to keep my PS1 and maybe pick up a PS2 for the sheer joy of it all. Screw the GameCube!

Gatekeeper
They all come with controller-S now. Of course, you can plug it in the A/V connection. S-video and component are also an option, if you want a better image quality. It has a hard drive, so you don't need a memory card. You can connect it to the internet, but it's broadband only. It plays DVDs, but you need to buy a remote control (not too expensive).
Old September 6, 2003, 01:41   #6
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Most people don't have $400 lying around to burn on video games.
Fortunately, my monthly income has exceeded my monthly expenses almost since I began my job more than five years ago. You can build up a nice little cushion over the years with an equation like that. It's not extravagant by any means, but I've got enough on hand right now that if I got laid off, I'd be OK for at least six to nine months living frugally.

Gatekeeper

Old September 6, 2003, 01:45   #7
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Re: Re: Question About Possible X-Box Purchase
Quote:
Originally posted by nostromo
They all come with controller-S now. Of course, you can plug it in the A/V connection. S-video and component are also an option, if you want a better image quality. It has a hard drive, so you don't need a memory card. You can connect it to the internet, but it's broadband only. It plays DVDs, but you need to buy a remote control (not too expensive).
Excellent news all around. I don't think I'll hook it up to the Internet — my cable line was already spliced by the company so one length goes to the TV while another length goes to the computer. I'd probably have to pay them to splice it again (unless it can connect to the Internet through the cable line that goes into the TV).

Gatekeeper

Old September 6, 2003, 01:46   #8
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Are you fantastically rich or something?
Tsk, tsk, Agathon. No, but I wish I were fantastically rich. Then I'd buy a new iMac at the same time as the gaming machines!

Gatekeeper

Old September 6, 2003, 01:48   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Can you give me some of your money?
Old September 6, 2003, 02:05   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Re: Re: Re: Question About Possible X-Box Purchase
Quote:
Excellent news all around. I don't think I'll hook it up to the Internet — my cable line was already spliced by the company so one length goes to the TV while another length goes to the computer. I'd probably have to pay them to splice it again (unless it can connect to the Internet through the cable line that goes into the TV).

Gatekeeper
It connects to the internet through an ethernet cable. The cord that goes from the cable modem or DSL modem to your computer, not a cable line itself.

And you don't pay people to splice cable.
Old September 6, 2003, 02:10   #11
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 00:19
Re: Re: Re: Re: Question About Possible X-Box Purchase
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

It connects to the internet through an ethernet cable. The cord that goes from the cable modem or DSL modem to your computer, not a cable line itself.

You also get contect you x-box and computer to the same internet connection I believe.
Old September 6, 2003, 03:51   #12
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

You may want to check out Metal Dungeon, too. It's a virtually endless dungeon crawler. Great if you love leveling and creating characters and aren't terribly concerned about an indepth storyline. Plus, it'd be nice to know I wasn't the only person in the US to own a copy.

edit: grammatical issues.

Last edited by Harry Seldon; September 6, 2003 at 04:05.
Old September 6, 2003, 05:31   #13
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question About Possible X-Box Purchase
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

I am familiar with an ethernet cable. I accidentally pulled it out of my 'puter last week, which made it so I couldn't connect to the Internet until I saw the obvious reason for the failure (I was upgrading stuff at the time ... software, drivers, et al.).

Gatekeeper

Old September 6, 2003, 05:32   #14
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Can you give me some of your money?
Tsk, tsk, Tass. Just save like I do. Well, actually, what I did wasn't a *conscious* savings program. It just happened — after all, you can buy only so many material things before boredom sets in.

Gatekeeper

Old September 6, 2003, 07:21   #15
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 03:19
So what wasnt mentioned yet, is that you'll need a switch or router between your cable modem and the Xbox and puter.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 6, 2003, 08:33   #16
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 09:19
Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
So what wasnt mentioned yet, is that you'll need a switch or router between your cable modem and the Xbox and puter.
not if he just uses a cross over cable, thats what i'm using
Old September 6, 2003, 10:55   #17
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:19
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Quote:
after all, you can buy only so many material things before boredom sets in.
Lies! All lies!

*hugs his material possessions*
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old September 7, 2003, 01:38   #18
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
Yeah, I'm discovering that the X-Box is an all-in-one entertainment center for one's home. Sheesh. All I wanted to do was play games on the darn thing. Now I find out it can do all these other wonderful things, too. Not a bad deal, really. $179 plus two games ... can't be that, IMO.

Gatekeeper