BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 10:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
you're stupid
and your point is?

anyway i'm not the president of the US so i got my right be stupid, the president and his administration on the other hand..

Quote:
Hey you little Civ kid. we went to the UN. Get over it. WE spent several months on it. Deal with it. We did it.
Uh yeah, but what does it matter, UN or not, you're going to bomb Iraq anyway, so what's the point. If the UN thinks you shouldn't go to war, then hell you shouldn't go to war!
I've seen Powell's presentation about all the nuclear programmes Saddam was running, and with all the evidence.... It was a joke, that people were even taking him seriously was kinda surprising to me already! He had no evidence whatsoever.. nothing really
Old September 7, 2003, 06:52   #122
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 08:19
"AmerIndian" is a retard word - comparable to my own inventions of "Floridanish", "ZionaBumhumper" and "MilkMan(ic)Episode"
Old September 7, 2003, 06:55   #123
Zylka
King

Oh, and let's not forget the fan favorite: "Babylon Jive"

First person to say "AmerIndian" in my real life travels gets 5 demerits and a fist to the back.
Old September 7, 2003, 06:57   #124
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 03:19
I prefer, "Ed".
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 7, 2003, 06:58   #125
The Mad Monk
Emperor

In all seriousness, use the name of the tribe if you know it.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 7, 2003, 06:59   #126
Zylka
King

Prairie Ni
Old September 7, 2003, 07:01   #127
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I'm not familiar with that tribe -- are they in Canada?
Old September 7, 2003, 07:05   #128
Zylka
King

No but I'm pretty sure no tribe names were ever AMERINDIAN

Creating and publicizing that new word makes about as much sense as renaming Chocolate Donuts "ChocolaMuffinRound" because you're an idiot who thinks it rolls nicely
Old September 7, 2003, 07:12   #129
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I see you've studied German, then.
Old September 7, 2003, 08:32   #130
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Why are the backwards, feudalistic countries "new" Europe, while the modern capitalist countries "old" Europe?
Backward? Feudalist? Haven't 500/70 years of communist changed anything? Oh my.
Old September 7, 2003, 09:03   #131
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Comrade and Trajan,

Yes, we "failed" to get the UN to agree to what we wanted.* But the point was related to the wrong impression that we went to war because of "missiles on the launcher". The danger from Saddaam was not of that imminent sort. Else we would not have waited the several months. That does not mean that the danger was not significant. We've already seen how well ignoring a problem worked in Europe in the 1930's.

*They have shown a serious lack of interest in enforcing their own sanctions and restrictions on Iraq...it was only in the dimension of "preventing a war" that they even reintroduced inspectors who had been kicked out since 1998. And hassled from doing their job, the entire time.) But of course this is a seperate issue.

Last edited by TCO; September 7, 2003 at 09:09.
Old September 7, 2003, 09:33   #132
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I like Amerind. I think I've seen it even pre-PC. Just that its descriptive. Do you mean the brown ones or the red ones.
Old September 7, 2003, 09:34   #133
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

American Indian works fine too.
Old September 7, 2003, 09:47   #134
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 18:19
10,000 troops, gee, that will change things.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old September 7, 2003, 09:50   #135
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 09:19
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 7, 2003, 09:56   #136
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 18:19
this is like Vietnam, where the US got a bunch of minor allies in

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old September 7, 2003, 10:32   #137
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:19
I used "Amerindian" because 1) It's an accepted terminology for referring to the peoples native to the Americas that distinguishes them from any other peoples (i.e. Indians from India), and 2) it's shorter and easier to type than Native Americans. I prefer to take the lazy way when possible.

Last edited by Boris Godunov; September 7, 2003 at 16:13.
Old September 7, 2003, 10:38   #138
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO
Comrade and Trajan,

Yes, we "failed" to get the UN to agree to what we wanted.
quotation marks noted

Anyway, this thread went totaly off topic.

What I am interested in is are all the people going to Iraq from 'new europe' volunteers? It would seem wrong to send people there aginst their will.
Old September 7, 2003, 15:35   #139
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
So glad you can chortle so contentedly over the future of the Iraqi people being so bleak, Tass. I knew you had it in you.
Stop this.

And in response to the personal attack: I'm happy over the US political failure. I'm certainly not happy that the Iraqis are caught in the middle.
When the Yanks screw up politically in foreign adventures, someone is likely to be stuck in the middle. Yearning for American failures is the same, to me, as hoping that the Iraqis continue to live in a **** hole. It is a likely consequence of the failure.

Personal attack? Perhaps. I guess it could be uncomfortable if it hits close to the mark.
Old September 7, 2003, 15:42   #140
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
That does not mean that the danger was not significant. We've already seen how well ignoring a problem worked in Europe in the 1930's.
Oh yeah, because (as we all know) Saddam is worse than HITLER!

Quote:
Yearning for American failures is the same, to me, as hoping that the Iraqis continue to live in a **** hole.
To you maybe, however logically one can root for American failure and still care about those stuck in the middle.
I'll compare it to a glass of water. Most older people know that a tall-and-thin glass can hold just as much water as a short-and-wide glass. However, some cannot because they base their reasoning on how wide the glass is without looking at it logically.

Quote:
Personal attack? Perhaps.
Is this an acknowledgement *from NYE* about a personal attack he made?!
Old September 7, 2003, 15:50   #141
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

To you maybe, however logically one can root for American failure and still care about those stuck in the middle.

Split that hair, Tass.

Oh, and btw. Logic dictates that for a dictator to be bad enough to be removed, that dictator must be as bad or worse than Hitler? Nice standard you're setting there.
Old September 7, 2003, 15:50   #142
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 11:19
Quote:
Originally posted by TCO

In the late 90's, I did a joint exercise in Germany. It was as if we were going to go to Lithuania and save them after the Ignalanias power plant blew up. We had some Liths there. Was pretty shocked at how unprofessional they were. I mean these were senior field grade officers. And they did stink. sorry. this exercise was a big deal. Wesley Clarke came by and everyithing. I was aide to a 2-star for it.
Lame troll
Old September 7, 2003, 16:14   #143
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:19

Mis Novias
Old September 7, 2003, 16:20   #144
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Oh, and btw. Logic dictates that for a dictator to be bad enough to be removed, that dictator must be as bad or worse than Hitler? Nice standard you're setting there.
We both know that was a troll, NYE. Well, at least I do Though it does bring up an interesting question. Do YOU believe Saddam is equal to or worse than Hitler? A yes or no answer please. Any other answers will constitute an attempt to evade the question.

On your second point....We should at least try to gain the support of the rest of the world before we begin removing dictators. And we should try to remove the biggest threats first.

Old September 7, 2003, 16:22   #145
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

First of all we need to get rid of that haircut.

Mis Novias
Old September 7, 2003, 16:32   #146
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

We both know that was a troll, NYE. Well, at least I do Though it does bring up an interesting question. Do YOU believe Saddam is equal to or worse than Hitler? A yes or no answer please. Any other answers will constitute an attempt to evade the question.

On your second point....We should at least try to gain the support of the rest of the world before we begin removing dictators. And we should try to remove the biggest threats first.
Feel free to consider me to evade whatever you wish. The fact is the US sent the troops in.

The real point now is the future of the people of Iraq. Those countries opposed to the US going in can sit on the side lines and tut-tut, or they/we can get involved to help ensure that Iraq comes out of this better.

re biggest threats first... That is a red herring. There is no way in hell that South Korea would ever agree to an invasion of North Korea to get Kim.

Willing allies in the region are required before action can be taken. In the case of Saddam, action was possible and it is not undesirable that he be out of power.

btw, if the US could get SK to go along, and could get Kim for similar costs to the action in Iraq, that would be great and I would support it whole-heartedly. Unfortunately, that is very, very unlikely since some spot in Japan would likely take on a distinct glow and large parts of Seoul would be leveled within hours.
Old September 7, 2003, 16:34   #147
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

We're pretty much out of troops to do anything else anyway.

Unless a real emergency arises.

Mis Novias
Old September 7, 2003, 16:34   #148
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Ted Striker, it seems someone should get his "hair mussed", right?
Old September 7, 2003, 16:46   #149
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Correct!

Mis Novias
Old September 7, 2003, 16:48   #150
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed.... but I do say, no more than 10-20 million civilians killed, tops...

...errr, depending on the breaks...