Old September 6, 2003, 10:19   #1
socrate95
Settler

Local Time: 08:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Automated Formers
Anyone know if there's anything that can be done to make automated formers plant only forests (ie tweak some settings in alpha.txt)?
Old September 6, 2003, 10:58   #2
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
I know you can disable specific kinds of terraforming in the alpha.txt. However I suspect the actual terraforming AI is embedded in the terran.exe.

If you feel like fiddling with what kinds of terraforming are available, do a search for "#TERRAIN" and adjust lines to suit your preferences. Note that this will affect all terraforming rather than just the automatic formers.
Old September 6, 2003, 11:33   #3
Jac de Molay
Prince

Re: Automated Formers
Quote:
Originally posted by socrate95
Anyone know if there's anything that can be done to make automated formers plant only forests (ie tweak some settings in alpha.txt)?
I thought there was a menu in the game where you can tweak it. But, I hear it doesn't work anyway as the AI will still have formers plant other stuff.

Jac.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old September 6, 2003, 12:14   #4
socrate95
Settler

I'm not worried about the AI's formers. I only worry about my formers. I want them to only plant forests and nothing else. There is a menu in AC, but there is no way to prevent the stupid formers from planting farms, mines and solars.
Old September 6, 2003, 15:49   #5
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Yes, autoformers blow goats, unfortunately there's really no way to get around it. I'd like very much if it were possible to fix the AI's terraforming, which is uniformly horrid, but I have a feeling that if the AI were able to terraform well, I would be unable to beat it at Transcend, since they get substantial industry, growth and research bonuses.
Old September 7, 2003, 07:47   #6
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 18:19
Put arid land world setting and chances are your formers plonk down forests over those dry squares.

Although chances are that the AI might still stuff things up.

"Hey let's mine that rolling square!"
Old September 9, 2003, 03:31   #7
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 04:19
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Re: Automated Formers
Quote:
socrate95 asked:
I'm not worried about the AI's formers. I only worry about my formers. I want them to only plant forests and nothing else. There is a menu in AC, but there is no way to prevent the stupid formers from planting farms, mines and solars.
Automation Preferences {Ctrl+A}

On:
__Automated Formers can plant forests.

On or Off:
__Automated Formers can remove fungus.

Off:
__Automated Formers can raise/lower terrain.
__Automated Formers can build condensers, boreholes, etc.
(does that etc. mean farms, mines, solars?)
__Automated Formers can build sensors.
__Automated Formers can build roads and tubes.
Old September 9, 2003, 12:13   #8
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Yeah, the problem is that there's no switch that says: Formers CAN'T build farms and Formers CAN'T build Solar Collectors.
Old September 20, 2003, 08:07   #9
HeymlicH
Chieftain

There is no way. This means, auto formers are useless in most cases. There are some exceptions:

ctrl shift F forces them to remove fungus only. I usually have some of them.

ctrl shift O forces a former to build sensors only

In some cases it makes sense to automate sea formers, since there are not many options for them.
Old September 20, 2003, 10:48   #10
socrate95
Settler

Yes automated sea formers are excellent. They even raise sea squares for free!
Old September 20, 2003, 16:26   #11
Jac de Molay
Prince

Hmm..did not know that

The only thing auto former do decent is the aforementioned fungus removal, as well as road/magtube building.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old September 20, 2003, 17:35   #12
socrate95
Settler

Indeed they do. But make sure to check Automated Formers can raise terrains in the Automated section of Preferences.
Old September 29, 2003, 16:56   #13
Commander Jace
Settler

you shouldn't have to use autoformer later in the game, each former should be specialized into his own individual tasks and have his job completely picked out.
Old September 30, 2003, 09:18   #14
igtenos
Settler

Depends on circumstances. Personally, I like to guide my formers early on to clean up my home territory and (after getting WP) build a few choice Boreholes in the Rocky squares. Once that's done and one of the AI decide it's time to vendetta me because of SE choices or because of my refusal to vendetta someone else (Yang, Miriam, and Santiago love doing this to me) & I start kicking ass, I tend to let the new formers auto-improve the base and use my older formers to do brush up work (IE: More boreholes!) on new territory or plant forests/boreholes on islands and put a bunch of sea bases around them for the mineral boost in the early/mid-game period before Adv. Eco Engineering makes tidal harnesses worthwhile. I usually have enough to deal with having to pummel 2-3 different factions without guiding my formers too.

BTW, one of my favorite custom units are (Super) Drop Formers.
Old September 30, 2003, 15:30   #15
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 01:19
I manual virtualy all my terraforming, even when set to do SIMPLE things like remove fungus the formers are idiots, every former set to auto fungus clearing will target the same patch of fungus on the other end of the continent, then they will laboriously move their over a decade and then the whole group will pick a different patch of fungus back on the other end of the continent and laboriosly move back their while ignoring fungus right next to them!!!!

I have had a bit of success with Auto Mag tubes, as they will thus be upgrading your existing road network to tubes without wasting time building mag tubes from scratch in inapropropiate places.
Old September 30, 2003, 19:44   #16
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 03:19
Re: Re: Automated Formers
Quote:
Originally posted by gwillybj

__Automated Formers can build condensers, boreholes, etc.
(does that etc. mean farms, mines, solars?)
My guess is that means soil enrichers.
Old October 1, 2003, 01:49   #17
TimeTraveler
Warlord

Re: Re: Re: Automated Formers
Quote:
Originally posted by jtsisyoda

My guess is that means soil enrichers.
...and echelon mirrors. Did you know that those things when used in a certain way can nearly quadruple the energy gotten from themselves and solar collectors? It's incredible!
Old October 1, 2003, 10:11   #18
JMarshFox
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyNationStatesNever Ending StoriesAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

I always just plant a couple of squares of forest around the base and build tree farms and hybrid forests...
Old October 2, 2003, 04:46   #19
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 10:19
I used to do automatic formers, but it isn't the same civ feeling.

I like to decide on my own what to do, especially since borehole sites etc. are so sensitively to be planned
Old October 2, 2003, 08:30   #20
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

If you want to win at SMAC you really MUST manage your formers yourself. The reason the AI does so badly is becasue it has a poor terraforming plan.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old October 2, 2003, 16:46   #21
igtenos
Settler

That and the AI isn't smart enough to double-up formers for big terraforming jobs. But truth be told, I really wouldn't want to see Yang or Miriam build boreholes.... I build at least one for every base I have and seeing the AI build *one* borehole would scare the hell out of me.

Also, the AI sucks donkey because it isn't half as aggressive with its units as the player with the acception of Conventional Missles (GRR), but that's getting off-topic.
Old October 3, 2003, 00:52   #22
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 04:19
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
I've seen every one of the SMAC-7 make boreholes. I think the only thing I've never seen any of them do is raise or lower land. It may have happened often and I've just never noticed it.
Old October 3, 2003, 01:43   #23
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

They raise land. Matter of fact, the AI raises land without Environmental Economics or the Weather Paradigm....That is, perhaps, the AI cheat I hate the most!
Old October 3, 2003, 19:37   #24
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
If you want to win at SMAC you really MUST manage your formers yourself. The reason the AI does so badly is becasue it has a poor terraforming plan.

-Jam
That's just one of the reasons that it performs badly.

I think that the inability to mount effective military campaigns, particularly airpower campaigns, is far more crippling for the AI.

Don't forget the AI's inability to conduct diplomacy productively.

Mead
Old October 4, 2003, 06:24   #25
Ecthy
Emperor

I've never exploited land raising, how is it? Does it help with energy problems a lot?
Old October 4, 2003, 11:50   #26
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 09:19
Ecthy our favourite Ossi,

I usually start land raising to shorten shore line, to place boreholes, or for an energy park (SP, in MP you may not have the time to do the latter). It depends quite a lot on your planning.
I think it was Ned who mentioned that to place a borehole, you shouldn't raise the land around your preferred borehole site but to lower the borehole site. Obvious, but it takes years to figure out
Then, building an energy park, you should always extend a plateau of maximum height. In extreme cases, you can raise more than 50 squares by 1000 m at turn and energy costs of one ...
Your favourite Wessi
Old October 4, 2003, 12:27   #27
igtenos
Settler

Quote:
Don't forget the AI's inability to conduct diplomacy productively.
Amen to that. I've been playing several Thinker difficulty games and keep finding myself vendetta'd by every faction in the game almost without trying.

I'd also add to the complaint list about AI how untrustworthy it is on higher difficulties. I've had cases where the AI offers a truce then a round or two later launches a surprise attack.

Quote:
I've never exploited land raising, how is it? Does it help with energy problems a lot?
I rarely bother raising land unless my main island is extremely small or I have a bunch of little islands I want to connect via land. I personally prefer Sea Formers & Sea Pods for the energy/nutrient bonus while planting Boreholes and Forests on the land territory for the extra minerals.
Old October 4, 2003, 12:59   #28
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion

Yes.

Raise your engery park elevation to over 3000. This will result in max output from the solar and mirrors. A large, well elevated, well located, well protected, and equipped energy park is a beautiful thing.

Mead
Old October 4, 2003, 14:29   #29
Ecthy
Emperor

Energy park? is that like a super science city just a city with super enery?
Old October 4, 2003, 16:55   #30
zanthus
Settler

Local Time: 02:19
No, its an area outside of a city where you use resource convoys to harvest the energy. (At least I do it this way) That way, you can have one city with income increasing improvements harvest 100s of energy/turn over your whole empire. Then I plant forests in my cities to give the balanced food/energy/mineral ratio. It also helps to cut down on fungus growth by having them outside city radii.