Old September 25, 2003, 08:53   #241
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 18:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well I was thinking of it, but I would at least need someone else to at least take over the nudging roleplay projects of the Hive.

* Points out that Pravda fully died again when he decided to put all his roleplay time into the ACDG intro.

Also a certain classified roleplay story never got off the ground, because I decided to do the ACDG intro.

So many ex-active-members.
Old September 25, 2003, 09:44   #242
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 02:24
Is SASS back again?

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 25, 2003, 10:01   #243
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

The whining in response to that SASS comment in our "hello" thread.
Old September 25, 2003, 13:51   #244
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 08:24
Some of us actually have to do these unpleasant things, like spend a weekend in Bavaria and drink litres and litres of BEER. The pain of it all...

/me suffers *

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old September 25, 2003, 16:15   #245
Atlantian
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
Warlord

*Envies Jamski*

Send a member of PEACE in your place. Why don't you send your enemies to 'suffer'. :P
"War forced us into the seas. When we came back upon the surface, it was a ruined and desolate place. We knew that it was not long before even the most secluded spot in the seas of Earth was polluted, so we left to the the sea of stars. That is how we came to be on Chiron."
-Dameon McPherson, Leader of the Atlantians, "The Exodus"
Old September 25, 2003, 17:27   #246
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 09:24
Poor Jamski...
Old September 25, 2003, 17:28   #247
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Maybe we're all a bit masochistic in the Jamski house I must stress that although the beer is excellent, the music is DIABOLICALLY BAD. Its so bad its not even amusingly bad anymore. THAT'S where the "suffering" comes in

-Jam
Old September 25, 2003, 19:08   #248
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

I share your sympathies with you Jamski.
Old September 25, 2003, 19:34   #249
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 03:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Maybe we're all a bit masochistic in the Jamski house I must stress that although the beer is excellent, the music is DIABOLICALLY BAD. Its so bad its not even amusingly bad anymore. THAT'S where the "suffering" comes in
-Jam
Oom Pah Pah uber alles .
Old September 26, 2003, 10:21   #250
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Edit: blah and stuff (I hate Windows)

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old September 26, 2003, 13:21   #251
Jamski
Deity

Actually John, its Um-pah-pah Um-pah-pah, uber alles.

-Jam
Old September 26, 2003, 15:00   #252
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Actually Jamski, it´s Um-pah-pah Um-pah-pah Über Alles...

Give those little dots a chance, they sure deserve it...
Old September 26, 2003, 17:36   #253
Atlantian
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
Warlord

*Agrees with FlameFlash about windows for reasons other then what are known*

*Thinks little dots are the root of all evil*

*Relizes he thinks too much in this post*
"War forced us into the seas. When we came back upon the surface, it was a ruined and desolate place. We knew that it was not long before even the most secluded spot in the seas of Earth was polluted, so we left to the the sea of stars. That is how we came to be on Chiron."
-Dameon McPherson, Leader of the Atlantians, "The Exodus"
Old September 27, 2003, 00:18   #254
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

*Octavian explodes.
Old September 27, 2003, 03:56   #255
Vev
King

/me eats Octavian's xenodoughnut while he is exploding.
Old September 27, 2003, 15:56   #256
Jamski
Deity

/me treads in the mess *

YICK!

-Jam
Old September 28, 2003, 16:22   #257
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Barman! A large, and I mean large, Black Stuff please. It has been a very eventful and very long week since I was hear, and I need alcohol to help forget it all recover

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old September 28, 2003, 17:59   #258
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

I only dropped in for a pint of xenorum and I find all this trau"ma. (nearest approx to umlauts at hand)
Old September 28, 2003, 18:56   #259
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:24
One very large Black Stuff for Drogue!
How did it go on your holiday? Do you have an adventurous travel story for us?
Old September 28, 2003, 19:19   #260
Vev
King

Tell us a great yarn, Function Drogue.
Old September 28, 2003, 20:48   #261
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Ye ask, and I shall oblige - sorry for the length, got a bit carried away

Where to start... The begining!

The Place
Well, the apartment was great, a very nice thrid floor place, right on the corner of the Piazza Sante Croce, next to the Basilica Sante Croce, which IMHO is the nicest church in Florence. The apartment had paintings down the hall and in the living room, and a huge one of Sante Croce in the dining room. The pencil nude in the living room was especially impressive. The Basilica Sante Croce is the resting place of Michealangelo, Machiavelli and Gallileo, and contains Dante's monument.

The Arty Bits
We went to see some wonderful places there. The Uffizi Gallery was one of the highlights. To mention all the masterpieces in there would take up many posts, suffice to say they have a huge room for Botticelli (including Birth of Venus and Spring - which are both huge), and rooms for Michealangelo, Lippi, Raphael and Andrea del Sarto, Titian, Rubens, Caravaggio, etc. not mentioning all the rooms by genre and time period of many artists. It is widely regarded as the most valuble gallery in the world, with such a huge collection of Renaissance works.

Florence in famous for it's galleries, and apart fromthe Uffizi, there is the Palantine Gallery at the Palazzo Pitti, where you can see Raphael, Rubens and Lippi in the original 15th century palace setting. The Pitti also has a modern art gallery and a huge garden, with a grotto which houses (now copies of) the 4 of Michealangelos unfinished sculptures. The 4 originals reside in the Galleria dell'Accademia, the gallery of the local art school. However that is not why people visit the Accademia. They visit it for one reason - Michealangelo's David. This was one of the highlights of the week. It is an absolutely astounding statue. Apparently the block of marble, so perfect and huge as it was, was kept for decades before they found an artist they would let work it. The result is a huge, incredibly detailed, and absolutly beautiful statue. It is truly breathtaking to behold. The other main gallery is the Bargello, the national sculpture gallery, which houses many Giambologna's, Luca del Robbia's and has a large room built to celebrate Leonardo's centenary, which has his David, among others, in it. There is so much great Renaissance art there, most little churches will have paintings or fresco's by Lippi, Vasari or some other notable artist in them.

The Food
The other thing worth mentioning is the food. The first night we went to a small place called Angiolino's. It was very good. The best pasta I'd ever had, followed by a wonderful roast veal. A great restaurant. However this was topped on the last night. The cheapest place we ate was a little trattoria in the Oltrano called La Casalina. It is a very small (about 15-20 people capacity ) family run place, and you have to cue for about 20-30 minutes for a table. By it is very much worth it. For about 75 Euros, we had a 3 course meal for 4, including wine, service and cover charge. More importantly than that was the quality. Of particular note was the Papperdelle Cinghale - thick pasta with wild boar source The richest, fullest and best pasta imaginable, with such a source on it. It was unbelieveably good. Being the carnivore I am, I skipped the anti-pasta and went for a Bistecca a Fiorentina - Florentine Steak. Not only was it bigger than the plate, it was all beautifully cooked, with a wonderful, delicate flavour. My brother had just come back from 10 weeks in the states and declared it to be better than any stake he could get over there. My dad was particularly inpressed with his seafood salad as well. It may seem strange for food to be one of the defining points of Florence, but it really was that good

Other great memories include walking back from the Ponte Vecchio (jeweller's bridge, very strange to see - google for a pic) past the Uffizi to our apartment, to see a couple performing outside the Uffizi, next to the Loggia della Signoria - where many famous statues still are kept in the open air. They sang and played Simon and Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens and a few others, and it was a really vivid moment. My family went back (tired) but I stayed, and was very glad I did.

Overall a brilliant holiday

I got back early Wednesday morning, and got to spend the whole of Wednesday with my girlfriend as Thursday 25th was her Birthday, and quite a day it was being her 18th, I wanted to so something nice, so sent her a dozen red roses, with a card telling her I'd pick her up later to go "someplace nice" (if anyones seen the friends about it they'll understand). Took her to the nicest resaurant I know, that also happens to be Italian (her favourite) and with decent vegetarian stuff (it's amazing how hard that is to find), where the waiter just happened to bring her present - a diamond, amethyst and white gold pendant - to our table. All in all a great evening, and some fantastic food

Then Friday night I started work at my favourite bar, called Revolution, which serves almost 100 different vodkas, and many cocktails. Sadly being my first shift I was on glass collecting, but still quite an experience.

And now... I'm absolutely shattered! And I haven't even mentioned the 'vocal' Italian football supporters on the way back from Italy, who were then arrested at Stansted. It was rather worrying, if hilarious when the police officer shouted at one of them "which part of sit there and shut up don't you understand" and the lady opposite tried to explain to him they speak Italian, not English.

Last edited by Drogue; September 29, 2003 at 17:37.
Old September 29, 2003, 04:14   #262
Kody
Emperor

GT can you please top the ACDG introduction thread.

Also if other factions can post their introductions too that would be appreciated. Can people avoid spamming the thread because if a faction doesn't get around to posting their intro before the thread hits 25 posts then the link doesn't work anymore as the intro would be on a different page.
Old September 29, 2003, 07:19   #263
Jamski
Deity

Sounds like you had a great time Drogue If your gf's a vegetarian, then I must say that you have EXCELLENT taste in women

-Jam
Old September 29, 2003, 07:20   #264
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

My friends like to hang out in this vegetarian restaurant on campus. The food is re-fried crud baked in green stuff. They like the place because it's never crowded.
Old September 29, 2003, 09:45   #265
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Sounds like you had a great time Drogue If your gf's a vegetarian, then I must say that you have EXCELLENT taste in women

-Jam
My wife is a vegetarian...

Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Sunrise
My friends like to hang out in this vegetarian restaurant on campus. The food is re-fried crud baked in green stuff. They like the place because it's never crowded.
Heh, what, there's xenofungus being served on Earth!?

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old September 29, 2003, 16:42   #266
Jamski
Deity

Quote:
The food is re-fried crud baked in green stuff.
Excellent taste in football, terrible taste in food

Quote:
My wife is a vegetarian...
Mrs Jamski is too. Flameflash, you also have EXCELLENT taste in women

-Jam
Old September 29, 2003, 17:20   #267
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Hive Mind Stuff please, and xenowater. My throat hurts like hell and somebody was forcing me to talk all day. Now I can bearly order my xenowater.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 29, 2003, 17:30   #268
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 03:24
Thanks for the low-down on Florence, Drogue. If I ever go (and I really want to), it'll come in handy. I'm so hungry now!! I'm off to find an Italian place.
Old September 29, 2003, 17:58   #269
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

An old friend of mind Hannibal something, just loves vegetarians. In fact for a while he said he was on a strict vegetarian diet, and washed down with a nice Chablis.
Old September 29, 2003, 18:03   #270
Drogue
staff

Wasn't it a nice Chianti? Chablis is a white region, and no self-respecting cannibal would put a white wine with human