View Poll Results: Do we trade techs with Spain?
Get Alphabet 4 13.79%
Get Ceremonial Burial 9 31.03%
Get Ceremonial Burial and 10 gold 14 48.28%
Wait until later (time out for a banana) 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 9, 2003, 00:00   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Trade technologies?
Sheesh - where's the FAM? This is his job! 123john!!!

Anyways, I noticed there was no talk whatsoever about the techs that Spain has that we don't, and vice versa.

Spain is weak militarily compared to us, they have a second city in addition to Madrid (Barcelona), are cautious towards us in negotiations and they have 10 gold, Ceremonial Burial and Alphabet.

We have 24 gold, 2gpt, Pottery and Warrior Code.

We have the opportunity right now to trade for either of their techs:

Option 1: Get Alphabet

We can get Alphabet right now if we trade them
1gpt, 8 gold, Warrior Code and Pottery.

Option 2: Get Ceremonial Burial

We can get Ceremonial Burial right now if we trade them Pottery and 15 gold

Option 3: Get Ceremonial Burial and 10 gold

We can get Ceremonial Burial and their 10 gold right now if we trade them Warrior Code

The fact that they are still happy to trade all their gold and CB for WC means that WC is worth more to them than just CB and the 10 gold. We could possibly get more for it later, but we run the risk of them discovering it themselves.

Option 4: Wait until later before trading

3 day poll I guess. Discussion is invited, particularly if you think we should wait before trading. Things to discuss may be: what effect will allowing them to build Granaries (Pottery) or Archers (Warrior Code) have for us? Will Ceremonial Burial or Alphabet benefit us much? Can we delay getting either of these until we find more huts with techs in them? Would it be more useful to us to keep our gold?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 9, 2003, 01:58   #2
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 10:27
Getting the Ceremonial Burial will not allow to pop out from a hut. Thus we will continue researching expensive techs at 40 turns rate.
And I think we should trade it now because later the spanish will aquire it from other civs or research it for them self.
Old September 9, 2003, 02:18   #3
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 01:27
I agree that ceremonial burial would be the tech to get before we pop any more huts, and I'd go ahead and trade warrior code for it. They will get it soon enough anyway, being the fast researching/much trading AI civs they are. We might as well get some gold out of it instead of giving up all of our gold. But if we do trade pottery and our gold for it I'm not averse to that either.

While I'd love to get alphabet, we have to give up a lot to get it, and it will be much cheaper later on. Plus if we have CB, we can make our way toward polytheism as that is a very nice tradeable tech.
Old September 9, 2003, 04:47   #4
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

In one of my games the AIs had the Polytheism long before me. I have discovered it at 40 turns rate but could not trade it. It was my second research (after IW at 40 turns too)
Old September 9, 2003, 05:20   #5
Niessuh
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsSpanish CiversC4DG VoxCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Spamyard TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

CB X WC. We need to trade fast and now, before the spanish make any other contact.
Old September 9, 2003, 06:54   #6
ormuzd
Emperor

we will get more gold for the WC if we wait some more turns. The question is how many.
Old September 9, 2003, 08:09   #7
Asmodeus
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:27
I say we just negotiate for CB and not give them WC until we at least have some Spearmen for defence. There is a risk they will research or trade for it elsewhere but giving a rival the weapons to destroy us before we can defend against them doesnt seem a good move for a Militaristic people.
Old September 9, 2003, 08:24   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Well they won't be able to reach us for a time anyway, and we have the drop on them with Scouts anyway. They will undoubtedly get WC soon, so IMO it's just a question of whether we want to trade it now and get something, or whether we are willing to wait to trade it for more (when they have more) risking them getting it elsewhere quickly.

Old September 9, 2003, 08:51   #9
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 02:27
was JUST going to do it, sorry

about the poll, wait unitl later
Old September 9, 2003, 09:03   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

No worries 123john, I just hope you weren't offended I did this.... we have sometimes had troubles with Ministers who haven't been able to put up polls because of being busy in RL. I will not do this again now I can see you WERE about to get here.

OK, in truth I was just at work and bored. Forgive me?

Old September 9, 2003, 09:05   #11
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
No worries 123john, I just hope you weren't offended I did this.... we have sometimes had troubles with Ministers who haven't been able to put up polls because of being busy in RL. I will not do this again now I can see you WERE about to get here.

OK, in truth I was just at work and bored. Forgive me?
no no its ok, thanks anyways
Old September 9, 2003, 09:47   #12
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Lets wait a couple more turns and see what we find and what they have to give us.
Old September 9, 2003, 11:55   #13
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Trade for alpha and head for map making.

Perhaps even prebuilding for the lighthouse.

Lighthouse just FITS the Vikings...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 9, 2003, 12:11   #14
Madcaptn
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:27
I don't think we should give them WC yet.
Old September 9, 2003, 12:52   #15
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:27
Give them WC. The AI will max research and will remain at 10 gold forever. Time only allows the AI to research themselves, and weaken our position. Get all their gold and CB now. With another tech, we may be able to trade for alpha later.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 9, 2003, 12:58   #16
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Give them WC. The AI will max research and will remain at 10 gold forever. Time only allows the AI to research themselves, and weaken our position. Get all their gold and CB now. With another tech, we may be able to trade for alpha later.
Yep, yep, yep.

The AI will get WC very soon anyway, from another civ if not us. We should get as much trade bait out of our early techs as possible without giving up gold and the like.
Old September 9, 2003, 13:37   #17
ormuzd
Emperor

we don't need the gold right now. And setting at low research rate we will have more gold later.
Old September 9, 2003, 19:56   #18
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

I like option 2. We get CB and gold. We can possibly still trade WC and gold and gpt for Alphabet.

I have we tried a combo trade to get both CB and Alphabet? After we build our second city we will have more gpt available; perhas we should wait till then to see what is available...
Old September 9, 2003, 19:57   #19
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Alphabet is too expensive, remember we still have huts (hopefully). Get CB and 10g for warrior code. Like others have said, if they don't get it from us they'll get it from someone else. Hording techs in the early game generally isn't best.
Old September 10, 2003, 09:08   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

We can't ascertain the value of Alphabet and Ceremonial Burial exactly because neither us nor the Spanish have nearly enough money (naturally...).

It is clear that we can only barely get Alphabet with all our tech and most of our gpt income in return.

Old September 10, 2003, 11:18   #21
ormuzd
Emperor

it seems our money is enough to buy the Alphabet (although they want some techs too)
Old September 10, 2003, 18:03   #22
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

get CB and the ten gold

have a nice day
Old September 10, 2003, 18:11   #23
The Slayer
PtWDG2 Latin LoversC4WDG Spamyard TeamSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 03:27
I prefer the trade WC for CD + 10 g. too

Alexander the Great
Old September 11, 2003, 00:07   #24
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 03:27
Quote:
Originally posted by The Slayer
I prefer the trade WC for CD + 10 g. too

Me too.

And we might as well make the trade now while it is still available.
Old September 11, 2003, 03:26   #25
ormuzd
Emperor

it seems the majority wants the gold. I guess we should trade it now because Spain has still 10 gold and it seems they will not accumulate some more turns
Old September 11, 2003, 07:14   #26
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Spain appears to be following the Max research strategy commonly used by AI's. This tends to liomit the money in the game. Unless they disperse a barb camp, I doubt that they will have more money any time soon.

Go for the Gold!
WC for CB + 10g
Old September 13, 2003, 17:17   #27
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

, one can woder what they offer to sell to us for that 10 gold and what we have in our vaults , ..........

have a nice day
Old September 18, 2003, 03:26   #28
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:27
Re: Trade technologies?
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Spain is weak militarily compared to us
Huh? They should be starting with 10 units or so on this level. Those units are added after their first turn. I assume you checked the F3 status after that point in time.

Are we playing on Deity?
Old September 19, 2003, 08:22   #29
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Yes we are. I can't remember when I checked their might, but it must have been earlier than the 3250BC save, as we are weak against them then.

Old September 19, 2003, 10:27   #30
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:27
Quote:
Spain is weak militarily compared to us
Quote:
as we are weak against them then.
I suppose the first statement was a mistake then ..?