Old September 9, 2003, 15:21   #1
jordan83
Civilization II Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
ctp 2 on XP
i have the ctp 2 version for 95 98 ME 2000,
and i want to play on XP, how could i do ?
Old September 10, 2003, 08:07   #2
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 10:28
CtP2 should work fine with Win XP... perhaps should you install it through a modified shortcut of the installation executable on your desktop, right-click on the shortcut, select Properties>Compatibility, check Execute in Compatibility mode and then select Windows 98 Compatibility Layer. Double-click on the shortcut to start the installation process.
Old September 10, 2003, 16:14   #3
jordan83
Chieftain

c cool on peut parler français vu que t'es de toulouse non ?
bon alors j't'explique : g déjà installé le jeu au fait, et quand je le lance il m'indique une erreur et me demande d'envoyer un rapport d'erreur...

ps : j'ai fait comme t'as dit, après avoir installé le jeu, mais le rapport d'erreur s'affiche tjs que la compatibilité soit 95 98 NT ou 2000...
Old September 10, 2003, 22:39   #4
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jordan83
c cool on peut parler français vu que t'es de toulouse non ?
bon alors j't'explique : g déjà installé le jeu au fait, et quand je le lance il m'indique une erreur et me demande d'envoyer un rapport d'erreur...
En théorie, oui !
Mais la langue officielle du site est l'anglais et il est plus ou moins interdit de parler une autre langue car cela aurait pour effet d'exclure un grand nombre de posters. De plus, je crains fort que les personnes qui soient le plus à même de t'aider ne soient pas francophones.

Seuls des Danois, du moins je crois, ont eu l'autorisation de créer un thread dans leur langue natale dans la section Off-Topic pour des raisons historiques.

Il est cependant possible de communiquer en Français par le biais des Private Messages.

Note for the English speaking posters: the previous lines are explaining why we should not communicate in French as English is the official language of the Apolyton Site. On a more practical level, the posters that are susceptible to help Jordan83 better than me are not necessarily speaking French.

Quote:
ps : j'ai fait comme t'as dit, après avoir installé le jeu, mais le rapport d'erreur s'affiche tjs que la compatibilité soit 95 98 NT ou 2000...
I think you can find some help in the FAQ thread. There seems to be an issue with WinXP though most of the gamers can run the game without any problem.

Someone has recently created a thread about a DirectX9 issue. If you have installed it, you should download and install the latest version of this software (though I don't think it is related to your problem).

If you can, post a picture of the error message.

Does the game crash as soon as you try running the executable or does it crash while it is trying to load the various CtP2 files?

Are you trying to play a mod?

Sometimes, the installation process does not complete properly. There is a lag near the end (around 97% or so) and then the installation process ends without any error message though the game is not installed properly. I have Win2000 Pro on my PC and I had to reinstall the game several times before I could run it adequately.
Old September 12, 2003, 10:08   #5
jordan83
Chieftain

ok sorry for the french words (danishs are lucky) ;
how could i post a picture of the error message ?
i 'll try directx9
and to reinstall ctp2 several times.
thanks,
and good bye.
(why can't i speak french?) [this is for joke]
Old September 12, 2003, 11:16   #6
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
ok sorry for the french words (danishs are lucky) ;
how could i post a picture of the error message ?
i 'll try directx9
and to reinstall ctp2 several times.
thanks,
and good bye.
(why can't i speak french?) [this is for joke]
For the screen capture, press the Alt+Imp écran and try copying it into a picture viewer software like ACD See or copy it in Photoshop or Fireworks. You should then reduce the size of the picture with a software like PhotoShop or Fireworks, zip it and attach it to one of your posts.

This is more problematic if you don't have one of these softwares.

You can also write the text of the error message and post it here.

No french!
Old September 13, 2003, 08:06   #7
jordan83
Chieftain

(the text is in french)
i translate
"ctp2 has met an error and must close. We sould apologize for this desagrement.
If you were doing something blablabla...
Signalize it to micrpsoft
We have created an error raport.
Send the error rapport ? Not ?" Etc.

i try to alt+impécr, but don't work (nothing is doing).
i alrady send the error message by internet.
Old September 23, 2003, 01:03   #8
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:28
If you really can't get it to work on XP then I suggest you creat a partition and install WIn 95/98 on the newly created partition and then use that OS to run CTP2.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 23, 2003, 04:12   #9
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 09:28
Might sound stupid, but do you have administrative rights?
CTP2 is maybe trying to create some files and hasn't got the rights? You also have to install it with admin rights...........
Old September 28, 2003, 09:11   #10
jordan83
Chieftain

thanks for replies.

oderlin :
not stupid, and i think that partition on XP is possible and not too complicated, so i would try if i couldn't do anythingelse.

gilgamesh :
do you mean it's a stolen game or something not legal, because i don't know what's admin rights ? so if you could precise it, thanks.
ps : it 's a bought and legal game, no copy, no pirate etc... all clean.
Old September 28, 2003, 16:01   #11
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
gilgamensh :
do you mean it's a stolen game or something not legal, because i don't know what's admin rights ? so if you could precise it, thanks.
ps : it 's a bought and legal game, no copy, no pirate etc... all clean.
No this is not what Gilgamensh meant.

If you want to install a software on XP and Win2000, you need to have administrative rights which means that windows must recognize you as someone who has the right to administrate the computer and is thus entitled to install a software. If not, windows returns a message telling you don't have the rights needed to install a software on the said computer. If you have not read such a message when you tried to install CtP2 this means you have such rights which is, as far as I remember, a default option when you install WinXP and Win2000.
Old October 2, 2003, 18:27   #12
jordan83
Chieftain

ok, as i see, there is no more solutions to play ctp 2 on XP, what a pity ! no patch for it ? or so....?

happily i have another ME computer ! hihihihi
Old October 2, 2003, 19:02   #13
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
happily i have another ME computer ! hihihihi

I think a computer with Win98SE would be safer.

As far as WinXP is concerned there seems to be some issues though most of the users don't have any problem at all. This is rather weird and it is something that will perhaps be addressed when the source code is released... may be... one day... it could be.
Old October 2, 2003, 20:11   #14
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 01:28
Yep, quite odd, it's worked on every XP system that I've put it on. (2 Home editions, and one pro)
Old October 3, 2003, 02:58   #15
Tamerlin
King

Jordan83, as a last resort you can try to install the latest pilots for the graphical and sound peripherals of your computer and to disable the DirectDraw and/or DirectSound acceleration.

I am sorry but I really don't know what is going on with XP. You can also try to browse the forum's archives. I know the XP problem has already been exposed and it has sometimes been solved.

Bon courage!
Old December 1, 2003, 19:03   #16
mathgoulet
Settler

Local Time: 03:28
I cannot run it too.. and I have windows XP french. I have the exact error when I try to run it. The application does not launch at all, so it might be the incompatibility with international versions of windows XP.
Old December 7, 2003, 16:17   #17
Tamerlin
King

Welcome Mathgoulet,

Have you tried the FAQ thread? This thread can give you some hints but I don't know if it will solve your problem. I am currently running CtP2 with a french version of Windows XP Pro and it works well.
Old December 11, 2003, 14:11   #18
mathgoulet
Settler

Local Time: 03:28
hi hi

Uhm.. I tried reading through faq.. but after few researches I could only find this thread... unfortunatly I still cannot run it so it might be because of a driver / other stuff then.... but thanks anyway
Old December 11, 2003, 14:30   #19
Tamerlin
King

You should try to run CtP2 in Win98 Compatibility Mode, if it doesn't work, try to install the game in Win98 Compatibility Mode. This trick allowed me to solve many problems with "old" games under Win2000, I suppose it must also work with Win XP.