Old September 10, 2003, 23:19   #31
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 04:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I think most will be loathed to cheat on their friends/compatroits/fellow gamers.
It's not really cheating, as everyone will have the extra information from the DAR. The question was more if we should all use that information, or if we should all play as if we didn't have it.

It's a bit tricky to say "play as if you don't know that there's another continent to the west" for example, because you might have sent some suicide galleys that way anyway. So now that you know there is another continent that way, will you still send some galleys west, or will you send galleys every other direction but west? The proper behavior of pretending not to know is quite subjective.

So I say use everyone's informaton. The game will be easier, but it will be more fun not to have to pretend not to know stuff, I think. And the person who discovered the continent will have the honor of a major contribution to the game, even if his save is not chosen. We can always up the difficulty if we want more of a challenge.
Old September 10, 2003, 23:39   #32
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I am fine with what ever way you all want to do it.
Old September 10, 2003, 23:44   #33
Taian
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:28
Any more room on a team? Doesn't matter which type..
Old September 11, 2003, 00:27   #34
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman
So I say use everyone's informaton.
But please, no collusion (i.e. "you go West, I go East")!

Dominae
Old September 11, 2003, 00:58   #35
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Taian
Any more room on a team? Doesn't matter which type..
Yep. Glad to have you aboard Taian.
Old September 11, 2003, 11:50   #36
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 09:28
I voted to be a lurker in the other thread; but actually I would like to join this.
So sign me up, preferably in the builder team (I usually attack quite a lot, but never early so I would be crap for a quick domination game )
Old September 11, 2003, 12:16   #37
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Hmm...

Maybe we could have a "builder" team, a "warmonger" team, and a "opportunists" team. The first is the group that doesn't like fighting, or really doesn't like fighting early on. The second likes to fight, wherever/whenever. The third doesn't know until they get into the game and see the specific situation(s).

How does that sound? Do we have enough people?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 11, 2003, 12:27   #38
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

With such differing team goals, it will be interesting to see which Civ is chosen to suit both styles.
Old September 11, 2003, 12:30   #39
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I think there might be. If so, I would fit into the 3rd catagory - although I usually force my way into the warmonger mode as I typically do better that way.

I say monarch or emperor. I would lean towards monarch, but whatever the majority want is OK by me.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 11, 2003, 12:48   #40
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Oh, do we get to choose a civ? I figured we would all be playing the same one (preferably one that can be used in both "builder" and "warmonger" roles, like Carthage).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 11, 2003, 13:03   #41
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

My brevity made me unclear. But I meant to say what you said –it will be interesting to see which Civ is chosen for all of us to play which would satisfy both roles. Carthage is okay, but I have a personal preference for UUs outside of the ancient age.

As far as difficulty, I’ll play what is handed to me. Monarch is preferable, because that’s what I play these days, but I’ll try harder if need be.
Old September 11, 2003, 13:13   #42
Dominae
Emperor

/me will play on the opportunists team, with any civ, at any level.

Old September 11, 2003, 13:26   #43
Arrian
Deity

The civs that I think can be used equally well by both warmongers and builders -

Egypt
Persia/Ottomans
France/Carthage
Americans?
Iroquois

I am the opportunist sort as well... but I'm still undecided right now.

-Arrian

Old September 11, 2003, 13:34   #44
Dominae
Emperor

Every civ can warmonger.

Some warmonger civs are not so good at building, most notably the Expansionist/Militaristic ones.

Dominae
Old September 11, 2003, 13:34   #45
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

I think there might be enough people to form an "opportunists" team. It's fine with me. For all those who haven't signed up for a specific team I will be dividing the teams tonight (around 9pm PST or midnight EST for those that go by it) so please get your team preference in now. I will also be posting the 4000bc save at that time so that everyone can start on Friday.

I'm planning on a turn block of 20 turns with a 5 day time limit for DAR posting (meaning the end of Tuesday). Then I will post the polls on Wednesday and they will go until the end of Thursday. Then the new save will be posted Thursday night.

Oh and for the record the game will be set at monarch level so that the graybeards will be challenged enough, and any newbies won't be scared off by the higher levels. As to the civ, yes it will be one that can be used as either a builder or a warmonger, or whatever you want. I haven't finalized that decision, but I have in mind Carthage, Germany, and Arabs. Preferences? I'm leaning toward the Arabs as they aren't overtly either type, but a good hybrid and we haven't ever used them in an AU game before.

EDIT: I would prefer not to use an industrious civ as I think they're overused and I'd like to see people work around not having that trait.
Old September 11, 2003, 13:42   #46
Dominae
Emperor

Might I recommend 40 turns for the first block? Twenty turns barely gets you past your Granary or your first Settler...

As for civ choice...not Carthage! That one has been overplayed recently (by me). I've never actually piloted the Arabs, so my vote goes to them.

Dominae
Old September 11, 2003, 13:47   #47
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

I was just rethinking the first turn block and was considering bumping it to 25 or 30. The first few turns do go by very quickly in most cases. 40 would work too.
Old September 11, 2003, 14:12   #48
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

At this point we have enough players to make two five person teams and one six person team if we add the "opportunists" team. Or two eight person teams if we stick with the other way.

We need more people for the conquest team. Some of the "any team" people will be placed on that team unless I see a few more people stating a conquest preference. I'm going to go ahead and PM the people who don't have a stated preference yet.

Last edited by Rhothaerill; September 11, 2003 at 14:17.
Old September 11, 2003, 15:09   #49
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Since I am unable to see my post on this page, I am not sure if I ever said what team.

I chose builder at any level, but will be willing to go to what ever team you want to fill one out.
I presume this will be PTW 1.27? You probably mentioned it and I of course forgot.
Old September 11, 2003, 15:23   #50
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Where do you guys need someone????

edit: prefer opportunistic, but that looks like its filling up fast....

Last edited by BRC; September 11, 2003 at 16:11.
Old September 11, 2003, 15:23   #51
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Arabs!!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 11, 2003, 15:56   #52
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 08:28
Put me on the opportunists while there's still space. There shouldn't be!

As high a difficulty level as possible and any civ.

As for the 1st block, 40 turns sounds good for a non-expansionist civ. If we're playing an expansionist civ, it could be shorter.
Old September 11, 2003, 16:26   #53
plattfuss
Settler

Local Time: 08:28
if it is still possible, pls put me on the list as well. I am more a builder / opportunist type but will try to deal with any game style. Monarch or emp is both fine.
Old September 11, 2003, 16:31   #54
Arrian
Deity

I agree with 40 turns for the first block.

I'll be opportunist (or, if that one is getting too many people, feel free to put me in either of the other two categories).

Hmm, so the choices are Carthage, Germany or the Arabs?

We did do an AU with Arabia, btw (power of expansion... I never did finish that).

My basic thought is that a militaristic civ is almost completed wasted if you're playing "builder" so Germany wouldn't be a good choice. That leaves Carthage and Arabia.

I'd personally perfer Carthage (I just don't like Exp), but I'll go with the majority.

Oh, I never did download the 1.27 patch... I should get on that, huh?

-Arrian

Old September 11, 2003, 16:35   #55
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Since I am unable to see my post on this page, I am not sure if I ever said what team.

I chose builder at any level, but will be willing to go to what ever team you want to fill one out.
I presume this will be PTW 1.27? You probably mentioned it and I of course forgot.
Yes this is on PTW 1.27f patch. And if I didn't mention it before (I don't think I did) it is set up with the AU mod.
Old September 11, 2003, 16:45   #56
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

We now have enough people for three teams of six. There are so far 5 people preferring opportunists, 5 people preferring space victory, 1 person preferring conquest victory, and 2 for any team they are part of, though a few people with a preference stated any team was fine. That leaves five people undecided so far. The conquest victory needs people. Whomever hasn't signed up for a preference by 10pm EST tonight will be assigned a team, most likely the conquest victory team but we'll see what happens (and no, I don't want to have to do that, but I want to get this game started soon ).
Old September 11, 2003, 16:47   #57
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

oh btw, opportunists first choice for me, warmongers second choice if the first is too full.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 11, 2003, 16:55   #58
Dominae
Emperor

"Conquest" = Conquest + Domination victories?
Old September 11, 2003, 16:59   #59
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
"Conquest" = Conquest + Domination victories?
It would end up being a domination victory I'm sure, unless everyone wants domination turned off to go for a conquest victory. I figured conquest would be a bit too lengthy, and the game is usually decided by the time domination rolls around anyway (well beforehand in many games, but that's beside the point. )
Old September 11, 2003, 17:44   #60
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 03:28
I'd like to join the opportunist group, as it fits better in my kind of play...

Playing as the Americans would be nice, as it's been quite a long time for me. But I'll play with whatever is given to me!

--Kon--