Old April 6, 2001, 08:42   #1
Zardos
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Civ II and Win2k
Well, its been a while since I played CivII. In fact I loaned my original copy to a friend and haven't seen it since. BUT I was in Target the other day, and given my penchance to browse the CIV III boards, I was itching to play and there it was! Civ II for $9.99!!! I picked it up, brought it home, looked at the OS requirements, noticed that there was no Win 2k, and thought to myself --
quote:

Well, lets try it anyway

Lo and behold, it don't work .

Has anyone figured out how to get Civ II to work on Win 2k?

[This message has been edited by Zardos (edited April 06, 2001).]
Old April 6, 2001, 09:06   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

As you might expect we have had several discussions on this topic - the consensus is that the problem lies either with winG.dll or the Indeo drivers both of which are graphic specific problems. there was some helpful discussion on this thread which might help.
Final conclusion - yes you can run Civ2 on Win2K, but ...

------------------
Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old April 6, 2001, 09:12   #3
Zardos
Chieftain

I'll try out the things listed in that post. Thanks so much!!!
Old April 6, 2001, 09:41   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

You are most welcome - and, "Welcome" I hope you stay and enjoy this great site...

------------------

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library must be built!"
- Paul Craven
Old April 11, 2001, 11:50   #5
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 19:29
I have a dual boot system and I installed Civ 2 in Win98. It works fine under Win2k. Are you having trouble with the installing process, or the playing process?

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"If LESS is MORE, just think of how much MORE, MORE would be!"
I AM CANADIAN!
Civfanatics.com Civ 2 Multiplayer Ladder!
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old April 11, 2001, 15:04   #6
Zardos
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by CornMaster on 04-11-2001 11:50 AM
I have a dual boot system and I installed Civ 2 in Win98. It works fine under Win2k. Are you having trouble with the installing process, or the playing process?

Actually, I got it working. It works when the CD is not in the CD ROM drive.

Old May 8, 2001, 18:27   #7
Kapil Tagore
Settler

Local Time: 17:59
quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 04-06-2001 09:06 AM
As you might expect we have had several discussions on this topic - the consensus is that the problem lies either with winG.dll or the Indeo drivers both of which are graphic specific problems. there was some helpful discussion on this thread which might help.
Final conclusion - yes you can run Civ2 on Win2K, but ...

I've been having the same problem. I'm sorry, I read through the posts and am not able to find a solution... Can somebody tell me please? Is there any dll that needs to be upgraded / emulator to be downloaded? I've been DYING to play that game...

------------------
| || SoniqueHQ forums | ||
100% Kapil quality coding®
Old May 9, 2001, 04:16   #8
Jarouik
Warlord

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I, for one, haven't had any problems running Civ 2 in Win2k either at work or at home. Usually I don't play with the CD in drive, but I have tested the video clips etc., and they are working fine as well. I am not sure if I remember correctly, but it might be that at first Civ 2 insisted some wing.dll files were missing, since I had not installed it properly in Win2k at all, but I copied the dll's to Civ2 folder from my Win98 Windows/system folder, and the game seemed to work; ditto with Intel Indeo drivers. Having installed the game in Win2k at work from scratch, it worked right away with no problems.

Some of the problems in the other threads mentioning total freezes, reboots or blue screens of Win2k are telltale signs of something being wrong about the specific Windows 2000 installation itself, since Civ 2 should run just fine under Win2k inside its 16-bit Virtual Machine subsystem without affecting the stability of whole computer. I have not had a single system-wide crash due to Civ 2 or other 16-bit DOS/Windows programs, but there is one irritating feature about my installation of the NT Virtual DOS Machine that only seemed to surface recently: after closing Civ 2, the whole Windows user interface freezes for 5-10 seconds or so. Ctrl-Alt-Del works and mp3s keep playing, but the graphics just aren't updated for a while, so even my NTVDM system does not work quite the way it should - in addition, every once in a while, when no 16-bit programs are open, NTVDM performs an illegal instruction and is closed, although it has never done it during Civ 2, so I can still play the game just fine.
Old May 9, 2001, 04:44   #9
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Does this help ?
quote:

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola on 04-28-2001 10:03 AM
David Pritchard has posted the a solution for civ2 2.42 win 2K compatability problems over at civfanatics:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/Forum10/HTML/000120.html
[This message has been edited by Lefty Scaevola (edited April 28, 2001).]

------------------

"The Great Library has been built!"
- Paul Craven
Old May 11, 2001, 20:17   #10
Kapil Tagore
Settler

Thanks a lot!
Old May 11, 2001, 20:24   #11
Kapil Tagore
Settler

Damn, didn't work...
Old May 12, 2001, 19:32   #12
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Kapil, did everything go smoothly when you installed windows 2000? Have you installed other software, and if so, any problems with it? Unfortunately, it is very easy for the Windows operating system to get corrupted just enough to appear to be working, when in fact, there are serious problems interfering with important things like playing CivII. You might try the restore feature of win 2k, or try installing the whole system again, and then re-installing CivII. Only a reformat of your hard drive before re-installations will give a completely fresh start, so make sure all important files are saved beforehand. Good luck!
[This message has been edited by solo (edited May 12, 2001).]