Old April 13, 2000, 21:26   #1
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bug in Red Front 1.4
I seem to have discovered a serious bug in Red Front 1.4

During the summer of 1942 the Germans attacked Stalingrad and the Caucus, as is ment to happen. Afer titanic efforts I managed to hold Karkov, Vorishigrad (the city between Karkov and Rostov) and lost Rostov, sparking the event of the pontoon bridge and the attack on Stalingrad (which I held). After loading the winter 1942-43 events when prmpted I went on the attack, but found that Rostov was impossible to capture as it had over 200 units in it! After destryoing the city on my first attempt to capture it, and thus trigering no events I reloaded, switched on cheat mode (for the very first time in Red Front), destoyed the German units in Rostov, and turned off cheat mode. However, capturing Rostov casued no events to happen, and I haven't had a single events message pop up between then and Autumn 1943 (where I am now). Operation Citadel failed to occur, and the Germans are attacking Rostov with HUGE numbers of Panthers (eg, like they behaved in summer 1942).

Can anyone help me?
Old April 13, 2000, 22:12   #2
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:56
No events? I think they may have failed to load for that game. Try loading the batch file again.

Mao scurries away into his hole again while a the shadow a large expert shows up to rebutt his helpful statement
Old April 14, 2000, 18:53   #3
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 05:56
Thank you Mao,
I don't think your help is ever a problem and I would have to agree with you: The events may failed to load. BTW, I would avoid going into cheat mode. You can build a stock of Katyushas and destroy 100+ defenders in a couple of turns as long as the Germans have city walls so the city doesn't get wiped out. The Rostov defenders should be mostly infantry, including a lot of Romanian troops which are crap.
Capturing Rostov isn't the trigger for the Stalingrad events, destroying the 6th Army is (Represented by Feldmarshal Paulus, who is hiding in a group of German fortifications across the Don river from Stalingrad).

Capturing Rostov causes many German units built and based in Rostov to be disbanded, which means that if you have a deep thrust of German troops down towards Grosnyy and Baku capturing Rostov will reduce their numbers greatly without an "event".

Did you save the game as RF.sav? Did you get the prompt to load the next events at the end of winter? If you are in August 1943 with winter terrain: There is a problem! but if you got the summer terrain there may not be an issue, there is a lull in German triggered events during early 1943. Citadel was launched in August so if that doesn't show up there is a problem.
If the Lend-Lease convoys are still coming each turn, then the game is working fine...

Good Luck!
[This message has been edited by Captain Nemo (edited April 14, 2000).]
Old April 15, 2000, 04:38   #4
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
I reloaded the events and it worked fine. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old April 15, 2000, 15:23   #5
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:56
*Mao's eyes peek out of his hole for the smallest time*

*He sees the coast is clear*

whew...

anytime dude
Old April 19, 2000, 17:33   #6
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 21:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Although the 'building industry' hot key was set to 'n', actually only 'm' key works.
Old April 19, 2000, 19:14   #7
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 05:56
I noticed that... I don't know why it works that way. The setup seemed straight forward, it must be some Civ-bug.