Leadership 4 40.00%
Steam Engine 3 30.00%
Explosives 3 30.00%
I forgot another tech 0 0%
Strawberry banana daquiris 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 10, 2003, 19:30   #1
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 03:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Alas, cursed locked techs
Since I expect some discussion.

If you can't have your first choice, please make a second. Which would be your second favourite technology?
Old September 10, 2003, 22:33   #2
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Someone has trouble following instructions.

Don't pick the same tech twice!
Old September 10, 2003, 23:08   #3
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Leadership, as noted in the other poll.

[snipe]*MY* replacement poll last time around was less confusing[/snipe]

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old September 11, 2003, 05:12   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:33
Explosives was my first, then Leadership. Steam Engine will be useful, but there are many more things for our Engineers (when we get them) to do first, and I would prefer to have the units built in the time it takes us to get to RR, as the Engineers will not take as long to build the transport systems. Remember, the sooner we get RRs the sooner the AI can use them too!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 11, 2003, 12:58   #5
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 10:33
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt Remember, the sooner we get RRs the sooner the AI can use them too!
Thats one of the reasons I voted for Steam.

seriously, even with roads it will take us ages to get units out to the battlefront, besides the fact we need to send them to different directions.

With RR we can just have 1 army and move it anywhere we please on the same turn
Old September 11, 2003, 23:15   #6
King

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa

Thats one of the reasons I voted for Steam.

seriously, even with roads it will take us ages to get units out to the battlefront, besides the fact we need to send them to different directions.

With RR we can just have 1 army and move it anywhere we please on the same turn
Tracks won't pop up overnight, though. It takes a Settler what, 3 or 4 turns to RR a tile? - and that assumes there's already a road there. Engineers could get the road complex down faster, as well as putting in rails faster, too, once we have that tech.

Realistically, we'll have conquered the AIs before rails become a means of instant transport around the world.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old September 12, 2003, 00:16   #7
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
MY* replacement poll last time around was less confusing
Well, then you should have run for my position last time.

How hard can it be to remember Favourite, and the second favourite?
Old September 12, 2003, 00:18   #8
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Local Time: 02:33
It takes one Settler 4 turns, and an Engineer 2 turns. Two Engineers can complete a tile of RR in one 1 turn.

If I am trying to construct both a road and rail system at the same time, that is why I send groups of 3 engineers to do the job.

I do not believe we will have conquered the AI as quickly as you think, but Rails will probably not be feasible around the entire world unless we really make an effort to do that.
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old September 12, 2003, 02:42   #9
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
unless we really make an effort to do that.
Much quicker to make the effort for our world conquest, rather than assembling military forces piecemeal.

If we start churning out engineer hordes (say 1-2 per city), how long will it take to build rails connecting all of our cities to our enemies?

Even the rough terrain cannot stymie that kind of effort.
Old September 12, 2003, 07:21   #10
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I expect RR will be critical for our success, and that we will need a network of them to all civs.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old September 12, 2003, 09:28   #11
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

As I posted here , I think we should go for Leadership if we cannot research Explosives, and allow the Americans to research Steam Engine, (and hopefully Railroad) for us.

Ultimately, I hope we can research Explosives next, and see where the Americans are at before choosing between Steam Engine and Leadership after that.

/me Foreign Minister
Old September 12, 2003, 10:30   #12
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder
It takes one Settler 4 turns, and an Engineer 2 turns. Two Engineers can complete a tile of RR in one 1 turn.

If I am trying to construct both a road and rail system at the same time, that is why I send groups of 3 engineers to do the job.

I do not believe we will have conquered the AI as quickly as you think, but Rails will probably not be feasible around the entire world unless we really make an effort to do that.
Still, it makes sense to have the Engineers first to put down the roads. Engineers actually put down roads 3 times faster than Settlers - because (assuming plains/grass/desert/tundra) the Settler uses its full move to get onto the unroaded tile, and 2 more turns to actually lay the road. An Engineer, of course, can do this in one turn. So, we could put all the base roads in with Engineers, while waiting for RR, and then quickly cover those with rails once we learn RR.

I would be willing to bet that we don't lay any appreciable amount of RR without Engineers.

Old September 12, 2003, 11:03   #13
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 10:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
we could put all the base roads in with Engineers, while waiting for RR, and then quickly cover those with rails once we learn RR.
This plan sounds good to me, let the engineers build roads and irigation and after RR send all engineers towards the highway. With 10-20 engineers we can upgrade that road fairly quickly. (5-10 tiles a turn )
Old September 12, 2003, 12:35   #14
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
If we start churning out engineer hordes (say 1-2 per city),
/me dreams of 40 engineers. Oh the places you'll go!