View Poll Results: How to Protect Ourselves Against AI Civ City-Bribes?
Put a Diplomat in the most vulnerable cities 3 16.67%
Station a unit on the likely paths 3 16.67%
Keep some mounted units patrolling a skirmish line 5 27.78%
Go for Communism to get Spies 1 5.56%
Take our chances, the AI doesn't use Dips well 3 16.67%
Station our own Dips behind some cities to bribe back 2 11.11%
I have a different idea (explain) 0 0%
Leave banana peels all over the place 1 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 11, 2003, 19:55   #1
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
MoW Poll: AI Diplomat Defense
Phlegethon was bribed away from us by the Americans. We have many far-flung cities and they will likely always be vulnerable to such attacks since we will not be a Democracy.

How do we want to try to protect our cities from bribery?

Vote for no more than three.

I made it for 2 days to try and have results for the reports to the President on time.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Last edited by cavebear; September 11, 2003 at 20:08.
Old September 11, 2003, 23:23   #2
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

I think we should only really worry about some of our more exposed cities - specifically those close to the Americans and Greeks. Losing some tiny city in the middle of nowhere is annoying, but not disastrous. And as noted, the AI doesn't send waves of diplomats out.

Where possible, a musket and a mobile defender should be left in a fort between our (important) city and the AIs so as to intercept approaching diplomats - and having diplomats standing by to counterbribe is good too.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old September 11, 2003, 23:31   #3
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

It think we should leave diplomatic activity (whether by us or by our opponents) for the Foreign Ministry.

Is it the intention of the Minister of War to usurp the power of all other Ministries? Perhaps when all other civilizations have been destroyed our Minister of War has designs upon the Imperium as his own?

Having exposed this plot , I hope that the Minister will temper this enthusiasm, realize I am deliberately being overly dramatic and leave future diplomatic activity to the Foreign Ministry.

/me Foreign Minister (I think)
Old September 11, 2003, 23:47   #4
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Ironically, I was chastized by cavebear in DG #2 for trying to usurp the CityPlanner's role while serving as Science Minister.

So, to cavebear!

(Naturally, with a )

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old September 12, 2003, 07:11   #5
cavebear
Emperor

Defending our cities from specific attack by any kind of enemy unit is not "Foreign Affairs". But I posted the poll because of this question in the Turnlog thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

It will be interesting to hear how the Minister of War plans to shore up our defenses against Diplomats....
Since it seemed most of the likely responses were military, I decided I had to answer this question from a Citizen. But equally, I had to try and make the options complete.

So, to both of you.

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old September 12, 2003, 10:52   #6
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 10:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

It think we should leave diplomatic activity (whether by us or by our opponents) for the Foreign Ministry.

Is it the intention of the Minister of War to usurp the power of all other Ministries? Perhaps when all other civilizations have been destroyed our Minister of War has designs upon the Imperium as his own?

Having exposed this plot , I hope that the Minister will temper this enthusiasm, realize I am deliberately being overly dramatic and leave future diplomatic activity to the Foreign Ministry.

* Sparrowhawk Foreign Minister (I think)
Imo the defence of our city's against enemy units (both military and dips) lies in the hands of the MoW.

I agree with Sparrowhawk that all diplomatic actions lie with the FM, imo this includes but is in no way limited too:

* Polling the people about our relationships with the different civs (peace/war, and the price we're willing to pay/receive)

* Planning diplomatic missions: Stealing techs, setting civs against each other etc.

The FM with its knowledge about foreign civ's, their citycount/techs and relative power is most suited to plan/poll about witch civ we take on first in our quest to take over the world.

Planning the actual buildup of troops and attacks would be the job of the MoW.

/me , speaking as a participant in the Civ2 Demogame III
Old September 12, 2003, 13:35   #7
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Well done atawa. I have no idea who you are agreeing with, if indeed you agree with either of us, or if you are somehow agreeing with both.

You make a great Poly-tician!

/me Foreign Minister
Old September 12, 2003, 17:24   #8
cavebear
Emperor

Atawa describes the roles of the FM and MoW exactly as I see it myself.

Indeed, when I polled about who to attack (or not) in a couple of previous polls, it made me uncomfortable to do so, because that is not my MoW function. As I said in an earlier post, I am the arrow, not the bow (and really I should have said "not the bowman"). The previous polls were only due to absence of polls by the FM (of August, who was having some difficulties IIRC).