Old September 14, 2003, 20:58   #61
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The reason I figured that we may need or want to look at the saves, is that most of the games will be very close to each other. The difference may be quite small.
I doubt that most will put up the kind of details needed in a DAR to distinquish one form another.
But it is not crucial to me, either may. I am not so sure that others will want to read all of the DAR's of the other teams, just because I will. When you figure that my team only has two posted so far.
Old September 14, 2003, 21:10   #62
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I am VERY much with Dominae here.

The original thinking was that we would have different levels of SG games, and that the players at more difficult levels would judge those playing the easier levels.

I'm actually glad that we got away from that, but I still like the idea of non-participatory judges (and critics, btw).

So, yeah, we vote on each other's games... makes it more of a group thing, too.

Tiebreakers should be by neutral parties... Rhothy, NM, and other non-participants, like Vel, Aeson, Nathan, Catt, etc. (unless they think they might want to play a block at some point).

This is cool... thanks again Rhothaerill!

/me still hasn't played the first block yet, due to a one-more-turn addiction to MZO BC4 (Berserks!!), but promises to get it done by Monday night.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 14, 2003, 22:02   #63
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Konquest02
Also, looking at other people's playstyle in order to choose which save is the best one is a great learning activity. When you start to recognize in other's games some key points, you will eventually able to apply them in your own game. I speak from experience, because it's the main way I learned to play civ.
Excellent point that I should have thought of before spouting my mouth off. That's how I learned to play better civ games too...watching other peoples games on this very forum. Having people on the other teams judge each other's games is perfectly fine with me, and it appears the majority favors that way so far.
Old September 14, 2003, 22:04   #64
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
This is cool... thanks again Rhothaerill!
Glad you like it. After seeing some of the DARs I'm just hoping that in trying to make it a little more user friendly than the past three AU courses I didn't make it too easy.
Old September 15, 2003, 07:42   #65
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 09:37
I also agree with Dominae, let another team decide the saves. It makes people more involved with the other teams, and I think that is a good thing. Otherwise you get teams only focused on their own, saying in the end, "oh, where there other teams as well?"
Old September 15, 2003, 15:14   #66
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I just realized that Dominae, Master Zen and I have been debating this issue in entirely the wrong thread (Domination team DAR 1).

Anyway, I think we may need a poll.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 15, 2003, 15:20   #67
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Okay, since I see merits in both sides of the debate I am going to set up a quick poll to end Tuesday night to once and for all decide which way to go about this.
Old September 15, 2003, 21:36   #68
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Regardless of the voting method (VOTE ON OTHER TEAMS, VOTE ON OTHER TEAMS!! ), is it OK to start discussing the next block?

I know it is somewhat premature until the next block's starting save is selected, but there are broad concepts to be addressed.

And also, btw, each team should make a point of critiquing... I've only read my own team's thread thus far, but it is already very instructive. I guess the flip side is that we should also be encouraging questions, especially about the save chosen for each team's next block.

Also, now that we have gotten started (I kiss Rhothy's feet ), should we start individually inviting others? There are a whole lotta people I'd like to get involved, ranging from the Strat vets and the DG members to some of the newer posters and even to CFC and other forum posters.

/me is bouncing up and down.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old September 15, 2003, 21:46   #69
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Regardless of the voting method (VOTE ON OTHER TEAMS, VOTE ON OTHER TEAMS!! ), is it OK to start discussing the next block?

I know it is somewhat premature until the next block's starting save is selected, but there are broad concepts to be addressed.

And also, btw, each team should make a point of critiquing... I've only read my own team's thread thus far, but it is already very instructive. I guess the flip side is that we should also be encouraging questions, especially about the save chosen for each team's next block.

Also, now that we have gotten started (I kiss Rhothy's feet ), should we start individually inviting others? There are a whole lotta people I'd like to get involved, ranging from the Strat vets and the DG members to some of the newer posters and even to CFC and other forum posters.

* Theseus is bouncing up and down.
Please feel free to start discussing and critiquing the various saves. I wanted to give a five day time period for people to play the turn blocks so that everyone has enough time to play and still have time for RL. But that doesn't mean you can't talk about your games.

And of course go ahead and invite anyone else who would like to play. If we get a sudden huge influx we're still new enough in the game we could even create a fourth team if necessary.

BTW, I need to take another shower before I'd let anyone kiss my feet.

Last edited by Rhothaerill; September 15, 2003 at 21:55.
Old September 15, 2003, 21:49   #70
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I second everything Theseus just said.

Dominae
Old September 15, 2003, 23:16   #71
Tassadar500
Emperor

So Dominae your kissing Rhothaerill's feet as well?
Old September 15, 2003, 23:28   #72
Dominae
Emperor

Strike the feet-kissing.
Old September 15, 2003, 23:58   #73
Theseus
Emperor

I am amazed at the variety of play.

Why are you all not doing exactly what I do... obviously the optimal strategy?

/feet kissing ended, but KUDOS to Rhothy.

Old September 16, 2003, 06:16   #74
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 02:37
On second thought... having seen my workload at school for the next couple of months, I'm going to have to withdraw from this SG. Sorry.
Old September 16, 2003, 06:34   #75
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 08:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
I disagree. The closest thing we have to an impartial panel is the players on the other teams. Doing it this way also promotes more interest between the various teams, rather than just one's own game.

The Domination team should vote on the Spaceship team.

The Spaceship team should vote on the Opportunist team.

The Opportunist team should vote on the Domination team.

Dominae
Why not?
So now I can comment on Arrian's DAR?
BTW, why is Arrian in the opportunistic team? Who did program a Domination win AND a Conquest Win?
Old September 16, 2003, 11:50   #76
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Team registry updated. With the addition of Charlie_Six to the domination team and Vlad Antlerkov having to leave the spaceship team we are a little off balance. I'd prefer to have a new person join the spaceship team than reshuffling the existing teams. Any luck with your recruiting Theseus? Once again I invite anyone who would like to join please do so.

The deadline for the first turn block is 23:59EST tonight (Tuesday), we will then have two days of discussion and voting on the turn blocks, and start the new turn blocks on Friday.
Old September 16, 2003, 13:38   #77
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
BTW, why is Arrian in the opportunistic team?
Because that's what I asked for. But, considering Rothy's post above (re: being off balance), perhaps we could move me to the SS team? My opening play was decidedly "builderish", so I think I'd fit in ok.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 16, 2003, 14:00   #78
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

Because that's what I asked for. But, considering Rothy's post above (re: being off balance), perhaps we could move me to the SS team? My opening play was decidedly "builderish", so I think I'd fit in ok.

-Arrian
That would be fine, but then it would leave the opportunists short a player. If we moved someone from the domination team that would end up making the teams even again. The easiest solution would be to add one more new member directly to the spaceship team. Any volunteers out there for a new player on the spaceship team?
Old September 16, 2003, 14:10   #79
Arrian
Deity

Duuuur. I realized shortly after posting that my idea wouldn't help at all.

Anyway, I don't see it as that big a deal (keeping the teams even). If we find a new recruit, great. If not, no biggie.

-Arrian

Old September 16, 2003, 14:14   #80
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Duuuur. I realized shortly after posting that my idea wouldn't help at all.

Anyway, I don't see it as that big a deal (keeping the teams even). If we find a new recruit, great. If not, no biggie.

-Arrian
That's kind of my feeling on the matter. I'd prefer to have a new player join than redistribute the teams. The teams are large enough that the loss of one player right now shouldn't be a big deal.
Old September 16, 2003, 14:39   #81
vmxa1
Deity

I agree, but we may be down 2 players. One dropped and one has not signed in. Still it better to see if any that miss a week, can jump back in and to add new ones as they come along.
Old September 16, 2003, 15:00   #82
Theseus
Emperor

I posted open invitations in the General and PTWDG forums.

Old September 16, 2003, 15:06   #83
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Thanks Theseus. I probably should have done that last week, but I was concentrating on the strat forum people first (and getting the game and rules going ).
Old September 16, 2003, 15:32   #84
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhothaerill

That would be fine, but then it would leave the opportunists short a player. If we moved someone from the domination team that would end up making the teams even again. The easiest solution would be to add one more new member directly to the spaceship team. Any volunteers out there for a new player on the spaceship team?
I'll volunteer for the Spaceship or Opportunist Teams. I'm a regular spaceship launcher on Regent/Monarch so that would fit nicely.
Old September 16, 2003, 15:37   #85
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Defcon5

I'll volunteer for the Spaceship or Opportunist Teams. I'm a regular spaceship launcher on Regent/Monarch so that would fit nicely.
Welcome to Apolyton University Defcon5. I'm going to place you on the spaceship team then so that we don't have to move all of Arrian's saves over. If you hurry you can get your 40 turn savegame in by the deadline at 23:59 EST today. And of course you are welcome to vote on the next turn block even if you don't get your save in.

Team registry updated.
Old September 16, 2003, 15:53   #86
vmxa1
Deity

Welcome to the game Defcon5.
Old September 16, 2003, 16:35   #87
Arrian
Deity

Ah, excellent, all set then.

-Arrian

Old September 16, 2003, 16:47   #88
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

I haven't started yet, because my first son arrived on Thursday night and he had my CivIII disk.

Anyway, I got it back now, and I'm ready to start - I hope I'm not too late for round 1!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civiii.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	53426  
Old September 16, 2003, 16:58   #89
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 09:37
Woohoo! Great work!

(Now it's time for my son to make me a grandson )
Old September 16, 2003, 17:04   #90
Dominae
Emperor

Congratulations alexman!

Does that mean that he will playing your PBEM turns!?

Again, congrats.

Dominae