Old May 12, 2001, 19:09   #1
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 22:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Yes, I've had the problem after going from Windows '98 to ME. Music will not work for the original CivII, though all other features requiring a CD do work. If I want music now, I use the MGE or ToT versions of the game. Of course this doesn't solve your problem, but at least be assured that the problem is with Microsoft and not with something you are doing or not doing.
Old May 12, 2001, 20:31   #2
sboog
Warlord

Local Time: 18:59
Solo, thank you for your response. Did ALL of your music stop? Or could you get the opening intro music?

And I wanted to ask this. A few days ago I saw Civ2 on sale, not in a box, but in a jewel case . A fat jewel case that could have held 2 CD's or a CD and a booklet. It was selling for $9.98.

Would that be a later version than mine? (I got mine in 1996 and it is version 1.36 or something close to that. Can't remember exact number.)Would it be worth the $9.98 to see if the music in that CD works in Win. ME?

It is comforting to know that someone else has had this happen in ME. But on a fresh reboot, sometimes my music comes back on.

Still puzzled by all of this. And still unhappy about it.

sboog

Old May 13, 2001, 00:46   #3
sboog
Warlord

Local Time: 18:59
Help! The music stops in my laptop/Win ME
I am really concerned. Whenever I start Civ2 on my new laptop with Windows ME the beginning music is fine. But when I start the tutorial as soon as the settler appears, the music is gone. Game sounds are there, but no music.

It worked fine for awhile. Then suddenly I get this. (Other games work fine, AND the Civ2 CD works great on my desktop with Windows 98.)

Is this a computer problem? Is it a problem with Windows Millenium?

(I have checked the game options and the music is checked.)

Has anyone here EVER had this problem? And if so, what did you do?

Concerned.

sboog
Old May 13, 2001, 20:02   #4
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 22:59
Just the game music stops, I think because it is taken off the CD on the fly, while the startup music comes (I believe) from the hard disk. When I try the "pick music" option, I'm told to insert the CD in to the CR ROM drive, even if it's already there! I'm surprised you get game music after a fresh boot, because I don't.

My copy of CivII was purchased recently and came with a manual. I think the price was around $20. I did it all backwards, buying ToT first, then MGE, and finally the original CivII. Oddly enough, when trying to get the music to work on original CivII, I was able to play the game tunes off the original CivII CD while playing the MGE version! It's something in the way the CD is accessed by the software that has changed between versions of Win '98 and Win ME, as far as I can figure. Maybe Mr. Gates can take a little time off from counting all his billions to fix this annoying bug.