Old September 12, 2003, 11:37   #1
jackl
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
fighters and bomber
Ok..so i've been playing civ3 for about a year now and one thing i'm sure i'm not utilising to its best is my fighters (and stealth fighters).

I place fighters on AIR SUPERIORITY and occasionally use them to check out enemy territory/troops but thats it. Is there more i should be doing. Can i use them to attack enemy fighters which keep shooting down my bombers. If so how?

Also.am i missing somthing with the STEALTH FIGHTER...I never build em coz they seem useless to me.

Any advice graetfully recieved. My Airforce needs YOU.

Old September 12, 2003, 13:14   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:39
See my post (And now, a brief distraction into "modern air warfare") near the bottom of the page in the thread:
Apolyton CS Forums > Civilization III > Civ3-Strategy > On the Utility and Use of Marines

In the Editor-based changes mentioned in the post aircraft have enhanced defense strengths to facilitate offensive air superiority missions. Based on "the first to sight the opponent has the advantage" as it applies to individual aircraft, so I could not see making an interceptor having a decided advantage.

Basically, you send your fighters on bombing missions to spare your bombers. The way it works by default in the game is that you will lose about 2/3 of your fighters that are intercepted by the same type of fighter.

Stealth Fighters are underpowered in the game. I give mine a bombardment of 8, range of 8 (Rate of Fire still 2).
Old September 15, 2003, 20:15   #3
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:39
Unmodded stealth fighters are useless. I give mine no attack capability but increase their range, making them long range recon planes akin to the SR-71 Blackbird.
Old September 17, 2003, 21:06   #4
LordVipper
Chieftain

stealth fighters are useless.oh,you can recon safely but.... the advanced figher in double your pleasure mod was good,stealth fighter with interception,something like f22.
Old September 18, 2003, 05:16   #5
jackl
Chieftain

great. thanks for the advice.

Just send the fighters on a bombing run and they'll battle with the enemy fighters. I must be daft coz that just never occured to me. cheers.

A couple more things then...About helicopters...can they be shot down by fighters (I've never seen it happen) and what uses do they have? Once again i usually use them for recon or occassional for transport units to near by islands etc but thats it? Any hints

Same goes for Paratroopers...

I feel that i am total under using all arms of my air force and on the higher levels i seem to be paying a high price for this.

cheers folks