Old September 13, 2003, 03:30   #1
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Leveling Hills/Mountains with Nukes
In my current game, I noticed that a French city nuked by the Romans had a hill turn into desert. I don't know how many nukes it took to accomplish this. I've had 2 nukes hit Berlin and none of the hills in the blast radius have suffered the same fate.

Does anyone know how many nukes it takes or what chance nukes have of flatting a mountain/hill, and what terrain they change into: mountain/hill/(plain?)/desert?
Old September 13, 2003, 10:00   #2
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 03:41
This is an interesting and important question. I was not even aware of this ability until I saw it in another thread. I have several times come across an island of all mountains with resorces I wanted and had no idea what to do with them.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll

Last edited by PLATO; September 13, 2003 at 21:12.
Old September 13, 2003, 21:06   #3
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 04:41
Are you sure this happened? Do you have a save?
Old September 13, 2003, 22:25   #4
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:41
I have never seen hills or mountains affected by nukes, Recently, as revenge, I nuked a series of American cities, several of which had hills and mountains in the radius of the blast: while grasslands and plains did change, hills and mountains remained the same.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 14, 2003, 13:16   #5
Turk Man
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:41
that cool
Old September 14, 2003, 17:55   #6
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Turn before Hill nuked to desert
I have uploaded the turn just before the Romans nuke the French town of Marseilles. I have run this turn several times by shift-enter with repeatable results. The Romans always nuke the same 3 towns (Lyons, Marseilles, Cherbourg) and the hill below Marseilles turns to desert every time.

I am playing Civ3 v1.29f (NOT PTW).

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Tur...mans1560AD.SAV
Old September 15, 2003, 08:35   #7
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 09:41
Re: Turn before Hill nuked to desert
Quote:
Originally posted by Turrosh Mak
I have uploaded the turn just before the Romans nuke the French town of Marseilles. I have run this turn several times by shift-enter with repeatable results. The Romans always nuke the same 3 towns (Lyons, Marseilles, Cherbourg) and the hill below Marseilles turns to desert every time.
Interesting that it happens every time with only one nuke in this game and never in other games. I wonder what can explain this. Do Romans have stronger nukes?
Old September 15, 2003, 18:50   #8
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

One possibility
The hill that "disappeared" contained coal in 1050 but didn't in 1560 just before the nuke hit . Is it possible that these resource squares are vulnerable when a resource isnt there?
Old September 15, 2003, 23:39   #9
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Where is someone from Firaxis when you need them? This could promote some interesting changes in some games I have played. I would like to know the possibilities before I spend my time endlessly nuking some forlorn mountain.
Old September 17, 2003, 21:58   #10
LordVipper
Chieftain

Where is someone from Firaxis when you need them? This could promote some interesting changes in some games I have played. I would like to know the possibilities before I spend my time endlessly nuking some forlorn mountain

why not,your goverment wants to!
sorry,only joking i couldnt help it!
Old September 17, 2003, 22:57   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well I wish they have let us have terraforming engineers to level mountains. Just make it take some time.
Old September 18, 2003, 00:12   #12
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Well I wish they have let us have terraforming engineers to level mountains. Just make it take some time.
Terraforming Engineers would be fantastic! It would change the way the game was played.
Old September 18, 2003, 02:34   #13
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO

Terraforming Engineers would be fantastic! It would change the way the game was played.
Yes, it is the unit that often miss me.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:09   #14
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

The problem with the terraforming- capability of the civ2 engineers was that given enough time every square of the map would end up as grassland or hills.
Old September 18, 2003, 04:02   #15
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

to Civ2-style terraforming. I'm happy it's gone.
Old September 18, 2003, 04:27   #16
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Back on topic...
Is everyone getting the same result as me? Is Marseilles losing its hill for you guys also?
Old September 19, 2003, 16:34   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:41
Why would you want to trade a shield rich tile like a hill for a desert?
Old September 21, 2003, 10:47   #18
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

I think there should have been a compromise between being able to level the Himalayas in 20 years (as in civ 3). At the same time. Soem minor terraforming should be allowed (i.e. plains to grassland, desert to plains) but this should take a long time, maybe 100 turns for one industrious worker. It would give workes something to do late game other than clean pollution and sit, but wouldn't cause the power to be abused.
Old September 21, 2003, 11:20   #19
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by CiverDan
I think there should have been a compromise between being able to level the Himalayas in 20 years (as in civ 3). At the same time. Soem minor terraforming should be allowed (i.e. plains to grassland, desert to plains) but this should take a long time, maybe 100 turns for one industrious worker. It would give workes something to do late game other than clean pollution and sit, but wouldn't cause the power to be abused.
It seems fair to me.
Old September 21, 2003, 14:26   #20
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Hmm. I always hated the terraforming in civ 2. I cant even begin to imagine the amount of work it would take to move an ENTIRE mountain range. This isnt one solitary lump of rock we are talking about. It seems to border on the impossible. And where would you put all of the rock?

plains to grasslands seems to be more of a prevailing weather factor than quality of soil etc. No matter how much you terraform, its still gonna be damn sunny in Spain. The only real improvement you could make would be one of water, or more organic nutrients (compost) which is already well covered with irrigation and rail.
Old September 21, 2003, 20:35   #21
badams52
King

Local Time: 00:41
Re: Back on topic...
Quote:
Is everyone getting the same result as me? Is Marseilles losing its hill for you guys also?
Haven't tried your game so I can't say for sure if I get the same result, but I have seen this happen before.

It happened in one of my nuke happy games where a hill/mountain only resource (can't remember which one) ended up on the desert/floodplain tile.

I don't think it's supposed to happen as I've never seen another hill/mountain flattened by nukes. Maybe it only happens on resource hills/mountains or maybe it's only because they have resources on them that we notice.

But I'm a firm believer in that global warming and nukes are not supposed to have any effects on mountains or hills because the occurance is rare.
Old September 22, 2003, 02:40   #22
troopper5
Settler

Could it be, that when city is built, that hill is leveled to grassland status, but it gets it's defence bonus?
Old September 23, 2003, 21:34   #23
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
This is an interesting and important question. I was not even aware of this ability until I saw it in another thread. I have several times come across an island of all mountains with resorces I wanted and had no idea what to do with them.
You can get to these resources far easier than using nukes. Send a worker to the island and sacrifice him to build an airport on the island. Airlift (if you mod) a worker or bring along a spare in the transport to road and colonize the resource (don' t forget a couple of good defenders)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old September 23, 2003, 22:47   #24
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber

You can get to these resources far easier than using nukes. Send a worker to the island and sacrifice him to build an airport on the island. Airlift (if you mod) a worker or bring along a spare in the transport to road and colonize the resource (don' t forget a couple of good defenders)
Ahh...Of Course! I should have thought of that. Thanks!
Old September 27, 2003, 04:49   #25
Vince278
King

Re: Leveling Hills/Mountains with Nukes
Quote:
In my current game, I noticed that a French city nuked by the Romans had a hill turn into desert. I don't know how many nukes it took to accomplish this. I've had 2 nukes hit Berlin and none of the hills in the blast radius have suffered the same fate.

Does anyone know how many nukes it takes or what chance nukes have of flatting a mountain/hill, and what terrain they change into: mountain/hill/(plain?)/desert?
Sounds to me like you are describing the in-game effects of global warming. That causes involuntary terrain changes.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old September 27, 2003, 10:35   #26
PLATO
Emperor

Re: Re: Leveling Hills/Mountains with Nukes
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

Sounds to me like you are describing the in-game effects of global warming. That causes involuntary terrain changes.
Pollution can cause a mountain to change to desert????? This is the first I have heard of this. Has anyone else ever had this experience?
Old September 27, 2003, 10:40   #27
Nym
Prince

Re: Re: Re: Leveling Hills/Mountains with Nukes
Quote:

Pollution can cause a mountain to change to desert????? This is the first I have heard of this. Has anyone else ever had this experience?
Never seen it myself, but I already saw posted images with plains changed to sea due global warming (after nuclear war I think); so... why not.
Old September 27, 2003, 11:50   #28
PLATO
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Leveling Hills/Mountains with Nukes
Quote:
Originally posted by Nym

Never seen it myself, but I already saw posted images with plains changed to sea due global warming (after nuclear war I think); so... why not.
It makes one wonder if the use of nuclear weapons changes the effects of pollution. In the initial case, the change occured after a nuke was used. Your example is also after a nuke was used. I wonder if it changes the protocols for pollution? Any ideas on if this is possible?
Old September 27, 2003, 12:46   #29
Nym
Prince

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Leveling Hills/Mountains with Nukes
Quote:

It makes one wonder if the use of nuclear weapons changes the effects of pollution. In the initial case, the change occured after a nuke was used. Your example is also after a nuke was used. I wonder if it changes the protocols for pollution? Any ideas on if this is possible?
No idea. But AFAIR the nukes were not used on the tile that changed.
Old September 27, 2003, 13:02   #30
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Interesting idea plato. You mean after someone has used nukes, then pollution and global warming turn into this more 'evil' pollution? I dont know if its possible, but Id like to find out.