Old September 13, 2003, 17:18   #1
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
And again, the true horror comes from Finland
Pikku G. You foreign people (oh, sweetly ignorant foreigners!) are blissfully unaware of this new star of Finnish rap scene. And you should be, as Pikku G raps in Finnish. I'm not a big fan of rap in general, and Finnish-language rap is generally horrifying. But Pikku G... he distills everything bad and somehow makes it worse.

Pikku G... how should I describe him...? Well, let's just say he's 16 years old, has been at or near the top of Finnish album lists for some time now, and the nearest comparison to his rapping are the raps on those school educational videos. You remember school educational videos, don't they? They have wacky but educational situations which proceed zanily and at the end everything is resolved and everyone (including the tightarsed but basically lovable principal) joins in an improptu rap, whereupon any normal student, no matter what his usual reaction to rap music is, begins considering what's the most discreet way to bludgon oneself dead with the school desk top.

Well, that's Pikku G. I don't like Anssi Kela, either - there's something very, very disturbing about Anssi Kela, like he's the average of every Finnish pop/rock singer with lifey lyrics ever - but at least he's unthroned Pikku G - for a moment. But I fear it is not enough.

Look, you foreign people, just consider yourself lucky. Some of you may even go as far as download Pikku G tunes from P2P networks, though I doubt most of you care about the shadow that has fallen over Finland. But even if you do DL, you won't understand the lyrics. The lyrics are the worst part.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old September 13, 2003, 17:21   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 08:42
FINNISH RAP!?!?!?!

GOD SAVE US ALL
Old September 13, 2003, 17:22   #3
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 09:42
Give us some translated examples so we can judge for ourselves.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old September 13, 2003, 17:24   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Paul: You wish to bring this curse onto poly in TEXT?!
Old September 13, 2003, 17:24   #5
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I don't want to think about the lyrics, really. Furthermore, simple translation won't manage to convey the horror inherent in Finnish rap lyrics.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old September 13, 2003, 17:24   #6
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:42
Hit me with the lyrics

Crank that sh1t up dog

Mis Novias
Old September 13, 2003, 17:26   #7
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:42
Without pics of Pikku G (sounds like a Pokemon creature) and sound clips, is there really a point to this thread?
Old September 13, 2003, 17:27   #8
Blisterz
Chieftain

Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pikku g kansi.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	53201  

William Seward Burroughs
February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.
Old September 13, 2003, 17:28   #9
Paul Hanson
King

Wow. As Ted would say, he looks bad azz.

Old September 13, 2003, 17:29   #10
Blisterz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hanson
Wow. As Ted would say, he looks bad azz.
He looks 6

William Seward Burroughs
Old September 13, 2003, 17:29   #11
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:42
Reminds me of Asher, but not quite as pale.
Old September 13, 2003, 17:30   #12
Blisterz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Reminds me of Asher, but not quite as pale.

wow, you are right, he looks alot like asher.

William Seward Burroughs
Old September 13, 2003, 17:30   #13
Bereta_Eder
Settler

He looks a bit diseased.
You really like his music Stefu, don't you.
Old September 13, 2003, 17:31   #14
Nubclear

Finland is harbouring terrorists and has WoMD. We need to invade it. NOW
Old September 13, 2003, 17:31   #15
Paul Hanson
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Blisterz

He looks 6
Yeah, but in a bad azz sort of way.

Old September 13, 2003, 17:31   #16
Chemical Ollie
King

I'm not really a rap fan, but I think those guys from Helsinki who had a hit a couple of years ago were quite cool. Especially the chicks in their video were hot (the one with the guy with a Walkman in the subway). Can't remember the name of the band though.
Old September 13, 2003, 17:34   #17
Blisterz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Finland is harbouring terrorists and has WoMD. We need to invade it. NOW

Really? Well then call the white house at 202-456-1111. and let them know that finland has terrorists and WOMD, I am sure they would love to know about it

William Seward Burroughs
Old September 13, 2003, 17:34   #18
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Ah yes.f f f f f f free stYler rawk da mikrophon
Old September 13, 2003, 17:38   #19
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Stefu,

If I recall correctly, you're a student of English translation. You should be able to translate us those lyrics. Or at least provide an avatar to Monk who's bordering on a nervous breakdown.
Old September 13, 2003, 17:38   #20
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 03:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
I'm not really a rap fan, but I think those guys from Helsinki who had a hit a couple of years ago were quite cool. Especially the chicks in their video were hot (the one with the guy with a Walkman in the subway). Can't remember the name of the band though.
"I can't remember the the band's name, but the video chicks were hot" -- what more needs be said?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 13, 2003, 17:41   #21
Paul Hanson
King

I believe you're all talking about Bom Funk MC's (is that spelt right?), who IMHO were an insidious plague that infected music charts worldwide.

Old September 13, 2003, 17:53   #22
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Okay, I'll use my mad translatin' skills and try to translate a part of perhaps his most egregious offense so far, "Oma Perhe". Note that the parts in cursive are rapped by his own father and mother.

Father you are always in my heart and mind
You help when everything goes wrong
I remember when I was little and waited for you from work
in a hot summer day, to play footie
You are my hero, you still are
An example to a little man
Though we don't talk like we used to
I love you and I know that
you forgive me and love me back
I know that I'll learn from mistakes, be better
You've helped me out of many messes
But I hope you could still, at some time, say

Hey G I am proud of you
and your achievements, especially the music
You can do everything you try
Believe in yourself and don't give an inch

Own family is the most important
Own family is the most important
Everything else comes after it...

Well, it looks like I just couldn't make it to the parts where he raps about his mother and sisters. But still, IT'S A RAP ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES HIS PARENTS AND THOSE PARENTS ARE GUESTING AAAARGH
Old September 13, 2003, 17:53   #23
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

And Monk, I need that Tarja Halonen picture. If you give up your avatar, how am I going to have access to it?
Old September 13, 2003, 17:55   #24
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hanson
I believe you're all talking about Bom Funk MC's (is that spelt right?), who IMHO were an insidious plague that infected music charts worldwide.
Yeah, that's the one. Can't remember Helsinki having a subway though. Was the video shot in Stockholm?
Old September 13, 2003, 17:57   #25
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Helsinki has a subway.
Old September 13, 2003, 17:58   #26
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Well he certaintly isn't Finland's Eminem.
Old September 13, 2003, 17:58   #27
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 03:42
Oh look -- Mormon rap!
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 13, 2003, 18:21   #28
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Stefu,

1) You were right, there was no reason at all for translating the thing. I'll need a drink to get any sleep tonight.

2) I'm going to change my avatar to something else right now. You still have the chance to supply to me the unique, specially manufactured avatar that I so richly deserve.
Old September 13, 2003, 18:26   #29
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 20:42
/me faints

I am scared. Scared indeed. God forbid if he approaches the Free World's shores.
Old September 13, 2003, 18:31   #30
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Okay okay, Schmunky, here's your new avatar. It's another Finnish politician, this time the Green Party big cheese, Osmo Soininvaara.
Attached Images: