Old September 13, 2003, 22:35   #1
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 18:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Interfactional Debating Contest
As there appear to be some interest in an interfactional debating contest. The point of this event is to generate more a lively ACDG atmosphere and factional culture. The main point is to have fun, be creative and generate good convicing arguements. There would be different tones of debating, from humorous to serious ones. Participants are encourage to roleplay their faction and use factional philosophy.

Here are some guidelines for the debate.
  • 4 days are given for both sides to present all their arguements. After that the debate is closed and any points presented after that time is ignored by the judges.
  • There are three independant judges who will review and judge the debate within 3 days after the debate has closed
  • Members outside the two factions are not to participate during the 4 days.
  • But after the 4 days, any observer may comment any points they wish on the debating thread.
  • Well structured arguements and a conclusion is recommend as ultimately it is the judges who have to read through all the posts. So make make their job easy and fun for them.
  • Having fun and roleplay is recommended too

Last edited by Vev; September 13, 2003 at 22:40.
Old September 13, 2003, 23:06   #2
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

I've just contacted 3 possible judges.

If they're interested I've asked them to post their interest in this thread.
Old September 14, 2003, 00:34   #3
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 09:42
I thinks thy should be 5 possible judges. The more judges, the more we can bribe and threaten. Plus judges is always disappearing, if ye knows what I means.

But wes open to reasons as to why there should be just three as opposed to five or seven, nine or eleven.
Old September 14, 2003, 00:49   #4
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Hercules,

Sure if you can rustle up reliable judges.

Only 3 judges so far because I don't want to send out a mass spamming of PMs.
Old September 14, 2003, 01:15   #5
Vev
King

To get things rolling which faction would like to go against the Hive

After that, there we need to decide on a topic. Maybe as a guest of honour, Googlie can help provide the first topic for the debate.
Old September 14, 2003, 01:59   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 08:42
Slav'sya Slav'sya Rodina ROSSIYA!

Last edited by Nubclear; September 14, 2003 at 02:36.
Old September 14, 2003, 02:34   #7
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 01:42
The Hive team consists of:

EZRhino
Vev
Voltaire
Old September 14, 2003, 07:39   #8
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Kody: Who have you chosen as judges? Should that be up to one faction? I'm just curious.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old September 14, 2003, 07:44   #9
Kody
Emperor

I'm choosing people that hopefully have no affliation. The people I've tried to contact I have barely even talked to. So you shouldn't be worried about biased judges.

However, I've just realised that one of the people I've asked to be a judge doesn't have a reliable computer at the moment. Another, seems to log on less than I hoped.

So if you can think of some people that won't be biased and might make good judges, please invite them. Hercules said we wouldn't mind having more judges than just three.

I'm not going to say who the judges actually are, as they should have every opportunity to quietly reject the offer without worrying what the people here will think.
Old September 14, 2003, 08:13   #10
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 02:42
I can be a judge. And I promise I can be impartial too. No seriously I can.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 14, 2003, 08:19   #11
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 03:42
I nominate myself for the drone debate team and as a judge. I see no problem judging myself, as I do it every day. Case in point, I judge my post to be silly and irrelevant-- Zero marks.
Old September 14, 2003, 08:21   #12
Kody
Emperor

Go jtsisyoda,

It's good to see that there's at least one faction other willing to get into some debating.

As for the Judge applications, wouldn't it be perferable that the judges weren't in a faction.
Old September 14, 2003, 08:25   #13
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

I'd give you zero too. I give you a positive one point for being bold and enthusiastic, which is something we should encourage. But a negative one point for the obvious lack in the ability of reasoning for thinking that a debate team playing could be a judge at the same time.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 14, 2003, 08:27   #14
jtsisyoda
ACDG The Free DronesAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
King

I agree with HongHu, but give myself +1 for irony. Final score 1 mark.
Old September 14, 2003, 08:33   #15
Snowflake
Princess

-1 for not being able to stick to one's position. Final score 0.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 14, 2003, 08:41   #16
jtsisyoda
King

Quote:
Comrade Tassadar wrote:
On a scale of 1-100, on funness I would rate:
1. Hive 87
2. CyCon 74
3. Free Drones 0
4. Pirates (Have not/refused to Authorize me) -1
5. Planet Looniversity of Technology (Refused to authorize me. But when I was there it wasn't too fun either.) -100
I nominate Tassadar for judge. He's not in a faction. That means he's completely unbiased.

Although I'm being silly right now, I will participate and play by the rules if it gets going.

Quote:
-1 for not being able to stick to one's position. Final score 0.
Touche'. One mark for judge HongHu
Old September 14, 2003, 09:03   #17
Kody
Emperor

Hercules & Drogue,

It seems I'm going to have trouble even finding three judges. Since you two both were interested in who was going to be judging the contest. It would be good if you guy could scout around and find suitable judges.
Old September 14, 2003, 10:44   #18
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

I would like to be the referee and post every so often to advise those debating that their post is off topic or too long. That way I'll get to be Emperor in no time.

Each faction should try to nominate a judge. I 'll go round our taverns and see if anyones interested.
Old September 14, 2003, 11:00   #19
Snowflake
Princess

Actually that's a good idea. One judge from each faction and one or two judges from outside. That'll represent a well balance.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 14, 2003, 11:11   #20
Kody
Emperor

I guess someone should start a rules suggestion thread. If people discuss it first then we can iron out the possible problems before they appear.

Lets see if Vev takes charge of the situation. If not, then it looks like we'll have to nominate someone to organise the rules and judges etc. If not Vev my vote is for Hercules to run the debates since he seems keen.

PS: I don't want to run it as my duties in the hive are making me get to emperor too fast for my liking. Being a prince was cool, being king is okay I guess, but being emperor would make me feel old.
Old September 14, 2003, 16:28   #21
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by jtsisyoda

I nominate Tassadar for judge. He's not in a faction. That means he's completely unbiased.
Hey, I can be unbiased when I want to be
Old September 14, 2003, 17:52   #22
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kody
PS: I don't want to run it as my duties in the hive are making me get to emperor too fast for my liking. Being a prince was cool, being king is okay I guess, but being emperor would make me feel old.
You could try IWs 'Prince Forever' He gets a 50% PCR every time he reachs 1000 posts IIRC, so he is always a Prince.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old September 14, 2003, 19:10   #23
Vev
King

Given that the intention of this event is to provide a fun stimulating challenge, I don't see why not reputable members from non-participating factions could act as judges. Although I think judging should be transparent and the score given should be based on some justification.
Old September 14, 2003, 19:25   #24
Mead
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 MorganAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kody
Hercules & Drogue,

It seems I'm going to have trouble even finding three judges. Since you two both were interested in who was going to be judging the contest. It would be good if you guy could scout around and find suitable judges.
I can judge. I have been watching the ACDG game for a while but I am not affiliated with any faction. Just let me know what I need to do and what I'm getting into before I fully commit.

Mead
Old September 14, 2003, 19:37   #25
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I once almost reached Deity...and in principle, I am

I hereby accept the most gracious offer of being a judge...although I don't know if my English will be up to it

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 14, 2003, 19:47   #26
Vev
King

Welcome Arbiter Provost Harrison, nice to meet you. We are honoured that you have decided to become ACDG Interfactional Debating Judge.
Old September 14, 2003, 19:52   #27
Kody
Emperor

Nice to see you've accepted the position Provost Harrison.

If you like you can add some more possible topics. We're going to have a mass vote on the topics soonish.
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=96910
Old September 14, 2003, 19:57   #28
Vev
King

Mead you will be a welcomed addition too. Hercules, I won't mind another helping hand. Also it would be great to have referees from different factions, to prevent conflict of interests when their faction is involved or when they may be absent due to various reasons.
Old September 15, 2003, 00:24   #29
Vev
King

Factions Please Sign Up

Hurry, factions, you have up until Tuesday 16th of September to decide to go against the Hive. Currently only Jtsisyoda of the Drones have nominated himself. If there are excess of participanting factions, then they can pair up and run the debate in parallel or in the following debate.

Currently no other faction nominate themselves, then it will be Hive vs. Drones.
Old September 15, 2003, 01:13   #30
Kody
Emperor

In relation to judges

Okay we've decided we're going to have several judges (mainly from listening to other faction's suggestions). Each faction can nominate a Judge from their own faction or external to their faction.

So far the judge allocation will be.

Provost Harrison - Head Judge
I believe we can safely say he will be impartial, and being a moderator at CGN will know how to make fair decisions. Consequently, his vote will be worth double if the judges are divided equally in opinion. This allows Provost Harrison to break a tie from an even number of judges.

Mead - Volunteer Judge
Affiliation none as far as I can tell. Might as well have him as a judge.

Tassadar - Hive External To Faction Judge
The Hive decided that Tassadar should be given some serious responsibilities as technically he is a game abitrator. Tassadar has agreed to learn how to be impartial, and this will give him the opportunity to prove he can handle responsibilities.

Hercules - Peace Faction Judge
Should make a decent judge. I'm sure the members of his faction should be able to vouch for him.

We should get 1 judge nomiated from each of the other factions that will be participating. Judges should strive to be impartial and a judge should not participate as a debator.