Old September 15, 2003, 06:47   #1
Asmodeus
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Where to build our 3rd Viking City?
Now we have formed an adequate militia to deal with the barbarians and archers are being equipped to hunt them down and fire pointy sticks at them, we need to consider further expansion.

Looking at the Turn2 map there appears to be a juicy spot to the west of Valhalla. There is a hill overlooking the plains, adjacent to a nice river and right next to diamond rich mountains. There will also be an additional sea resource bonus with cultural expansion. This spot gets my vote.

I know this breaks from the 4.5 city plan but the other 4.5 spots on the map appear to be long term investment cities, they will do little to benefit us without consirable working of the land.

The juicy spot by the diamonds will give us (as well as the diamonds), good defence on the hill, improved trade and fresh water from the river (i.e. no aquaduct required) and good resource shields from all the plains and hills. The only downer is there isnt much in the way of good farmland but this less so than the 4.5 spots which have jungle to contend with. There will be slightly higher corruption later in the game but hardly crippling.

Any thoughts?
Old September 15, 2003, 07:17   #2
Madcaptn
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:46
um I don't think we should get away from 4.5, i think we should build the 3rd city to the west since there's a plain with a shield
Old September 15, 2003, 08:08   #3
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 10:46
NW of NA as described here.
There the river runs...
Old September 15, 2003, 08:49   #4
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Somewhere where you are proposing might be good for the second ring of cities, but let's get the first one up first.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old September 15, 2003, 08:55   #5
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 02:46
on the river, near the fish, (4.5)
Old September 15, 2003, 09:42   #6
Torkkeli
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
Somewhere where you are proposing might be good for the second ring of cities, but let's get the first one up first.
What???

Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321
on the river, near the fish, (4.5)
This is exactly what I mean!
Old September 15, 2003, 12:13   #7
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Lets stick with the ring plan.

BTW, the AI rounds down all distance calculations in terms of corruption calculations. Therefore, all the 4.5 is actuall to the computer a distance of only 4.... let me look and see if I have that picture showing the rings.... nope. Gonna have to do some digging for it.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old September 15, 2003, 12:27   #8
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Here is the ring placement diagram. vulture originally made it I think.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cityringplacement.bmp
Views:	18
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	53337  

--Con
Old September 15, 2003, 13:52   #9
GodKing
Emperor

Oops. Sorry. Here it is as a .jpg
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cityringplacement.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	53350  

--Con
Old September 15, 2003, 14:09   #10
G'Kar
Prince

I think we should stay with the ring placement diagram Niessuh posted. The spot on the hill, NE of the diamonds is too close to the other cities (Valhalla and the other planned city).

We should build directly S of the diamonds. This will be consistent with RCP; this will let us mine the hill; the city will be surrounded by river thus no aqueduct and huge commerce bonuses.

We should skip the other two mainland cities in the first ring and build the river/commerce city right away for the sake of expansion.
Old September 15, 2003, 16:47   #11
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 03:46
I'm thinking W-W-W-SW might be a good spot for a city. (this shoud use the whale.)
This is assuming there's no shield in that grassland (can't tell on the screen shot.)
Old September 15, 2003, 20:07   #12
G'Kar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
I'm thinking W-W-W-SW might be a good spot for a city. (this shoud use the whale.)
This is assuming there's no shield in that grassland (can't tell on the screen shot.)
That is shielded grassland.
Old September 15, 2003, 23:09   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:46
Something to think about is the use of temporary cities. We could found some cities to make the most use of our terrain (terrain will go unused for many cities until we get much larger populations), and then disband them when we are able to grow larger. We could keep the RCP for our long-term cities, but also have some other cities located off this Ring for temporary terrain use.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 16, 2003, 08:21   #14
Niessuh
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsSpanish CiversC4DG VoxCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Spamyard TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

Well. We will need a whole bunch of workers for jungle cleaning. If we do that temporary city, it should be build on a jungle tile, cleaning it. I suggest the place where the river turns, making easy a road to the East city
Old September 16, 2003, 09:53   #15
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Torkkeli

What???
I mean use the city proposed as part of the second ring of cities instead of the first.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old September 16, 2003, 11:52   #16
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Thanks.

Might I sugest for future screenshots that "fog-of-war" darkening be turned off? (Or else the entire picture brightened up?)

Quote:
Originally posted by Defcon5

That is shielded grassland.
Old September 16, 2003, 14:10   #17
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Another screenshot request, could you put the grid when taking the picture please?
Old September 16, 2003, 15:00   #18
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Like this?

Old September 16, 2003, 16:51   #19
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

wow!
relly good work...

I guess it was done using a mod and Ctrl+Shift+N
Old September 16, 2003, 22:14   #20
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 17:46
Great pic, thanks...

I hope that we stay to the 4.5 plan...
Old September 16, 2003, 23:29   #21
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:46
Very nice pic. What IS that mod anyway? I really need to find it.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 17, 2003, 04:04   #22
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

sn00py's terrain mod - i had to manually install it on my Civ3 vanilla ages ago, so all my games even in ptw use it unless I use a bix I love the definition in the continental shelf, and being able to tell jungle from forest I can't remeber off the top of my head if it's the regular or greener version tho.
Old September 17, 2003, 08:14   #23
Asmodeus
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:46
Looks like I'm not gonna win this vote!!!

Ok, 4.5 plan it is
Old September 17, 2003, 12:09   #24
joncnunn
Emperor

Hum, I'm thinking we have two choices:
Directions are from the capital.

If we're not worried about losing the fish (or plan to use it from a city in the northern landmass), we should have the 3rd city at W-W-NW-NW.

If on the other hand, we want to have both the fish & whale in use on our starting landmass (which would lose the shield), then the 3rd city should be at W-NW-NW-NW and the 4th city at W-W-W-SW.
Old September 17, 2003, 12:27   #25
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

joncnumm, both cities are distance 5
Old September 17, 2003, 13:03   #26
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:46
I liked this outline as layed out in another thread:

Old September 19, 2003, 13:07   #27
joncnunn
Emperor

Yes, but I think the bonus resources justify a departure from the 4.5 guideline to 5 in those two instances. (Particaly the whale, which is located in a tile that can only be used from our starting landmass)

Are we computer programs that competely ignores the realtive values of tiles or humans?

Quote:
Originally posted by ormuzd
joncnumm, both cities are distance 5
Old September 19, 2003, 13:09   #28
joncnunn
Emperor

That screen shot is somewhat obsolete; it was taken prior to us seeing the whale.

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
I liked this outline as layed out in another thread:

Old September 19, 2003, 16:28   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Re: Where to build our 3rd Viking City?
Madrid.
Old September 19, 2003, 16:54   #30
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 01:46
Re: Re: Where to build our 3rd Viking City?
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Madrid.

Succinct. That would be the best place for it. As a UOA member I'd agree. Vowels and Violence.

Don't tell the other UOA members, but we need to build up some military and find out whether or not we have a land bridge to Spain before making war on them so my sensible side says wait.