Old September 20, 2003, 06:27   #31
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 10:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
the 3rd and fourth cities are already planned and after some turns they will be built.

Having the map of the surrounding land we have to decide where should we place the second ring of cities.
Old September 20, 2003, 09:45   #32
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:46
If it was me, I would go to B.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	_citysites.gif
Views:	63
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	53607  
Old September 20, 2003, 13:06   #33
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 03:46
Looking at the map, I hate to see all those productive mountain and hill tiles go permenately unused. (Very inefficent)

City A really needs shifts NE
And city A prime needs added formed on the grassland shield to use the whale and all those skipped mountain & hill tiles

City B is not water connected (diagnal doesn't count) and should be shifted so save the cost of an aqequduct. (NW looks best because it elimates another competely used tile)

Cities C, D, and E look excelent to me.
Old September 20, 2003, 13:19   #34
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

EDIT: better yet, let me draw that out for ya! I'm not sure wether Z or Y would be better - we lose a plains square at Y, but pick up the whale.

Last edited by Makahlua; September 20, 2003 at 13:30.
Old September 20, 2003, 14:39   #35
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
City B is not water connected (diagnal doesn't count) and should be shifted so save the cost of an aqequduct.
Actually diagonal does count unless the mapmakers deleted the river on it. A, B and E should not require Aquaducts. Where you moved B to deletes a Hill which is far more important for that location given that all those Floodplains will never be able to produce shields.

Moving A NE sacrifices a Whale, a grassland and a mountain to pick up a fish and a mountain.

I prefer the Whale over the Fish and the extra grassland to boot.
Old September 20, 2003, 15:20   #36
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:46
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Actually diagonal does count unless the mapmakers deleted the river on it.
Check out if it'll give you trade, and you'll know.
Old September 20, 2003, 17:48   #37
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I had city A prime to get the Whale that moving A NE would lose.
(with A prime located on same spot as second map places Y)

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Actually diagonal does count unless the mapmakers deleted the river on it. A, B and E should not require Aquaducts. Where you moved B to deletes a Hill which is far more important for that location given that all those Floodplains will never be able to produce shields.

Moving A NE sacrifices a Whale, a grassland and a mountain to pick up a fish and a mountain.

I prefer the Whale over the Fish and the extra grassland to boot.
Old September 20, 2003, 17:51   #38
joncnunn
Emperor

On the second map, Z is badly located, would cause a reduction in potiential shields for Y.

I also see no need for 50% defensive bonsus that far inside natural borders.

So I think from the second map B should be moved NE and Z eliminated.
Old September 20, 2003, 18:57   #39
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:46
Thing is, joncnunn, we're at the same time trying for the RCP, with cities spaced only a distance of 4.5 or 4 from the capital, so they all get the same corruption - effectively the corruption of the closest city to the capital. Z satisfies that, whereas both your SW moved A and NE moved B do not - we'd only get two cities at distance 4 for the forseeable future.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 20, 2003, 22:43   #40
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I only think rcp gives an advantatage on huge maps, we don't have a lot of land and optimal site choices to do rcp in our start position in my opinion.
Old September 22, 2003, 08:24   #41
Asmodeus
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:46
I think spots A, Y and B look to be the best IMHO.
Old September 22, 2003, 11:44   #42
joncnunn
Emperor

I concur with GF. Lack of land dictates some minor shifts.

I think we're all in agreement about cities C, D, & E.
Old September 22, 2003, 18:11   #43
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodeus
I think spots A, Y and B look to be the best IMHO.
Which A, Y, and B?
Old September 22, 2003, 23:04   #44
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:46
Although I have not voted for Y in the poll, it looks fine as well as long as we still settle A and Z (Y will not be very large anyway for some time to come).

B I would prefer to shift one S or SE so we can get that Wheat tile - E will have two others and a cow - more than enough.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!