View Poll Results: How should we vote on the next turn block?
Each team decides their own next turn block 8 38.10%
One of the other teams decides your team's next turn block 11 52.38%
Bananananananana 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 15, 2003, 15:31   #1
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 01:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AUSG101 - How to poll for the next turn block
This a poll on how to poll.

Seriously though, in the DAR threads there is a debate going on whether to have each team decide their next turn block or to have other teams decide their next turn block.

Pros of your own team deciding: quicker responses to get the next turn block going; more familiarity with your own team's game.

Cons of your own team deciding: less in the AU spirit as you will only be familiar with your team's goal and not see how the other teams are going about their team goals.

Pros of other teams deciding: more in the spirit of AU as you will be looking at other peoples saves more often; allows teams to see how the other team is proceeding with their game; more learning as you will have more exposure to the different strategies if you take the time to read the other teams DARs.

Cons of other teams deciding: unfamiliarity with the other team's DARs may lead to a less well-informed decision, time spent reading other team's DARs in the two day time period for decision making.

As an aside, it has been suggested that only one team review each team's DAR's if the second option is chosen. Therefore the domination team would choose for the opportunist team, the opportunist team would choose for the spaceship team, and the spaceship team would choose for the domination team.

Please post your vote before midnight EST on Tuesday as well as your reasoning for your vote in case there are more pros and cons than I have listed.
Old September 15, 2003, 16:27   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 04:47
I'll stick with my original response: own team decides, for the same reasons you mention as "pros" for that way of doing things.

I do see the argument for the other way, so it that's the way it shakes out it's fine by me. So long as we set it up with one team reviewing one other team's games, so we have a reasonable number of DARs to disect (I'll read 'em all, mind you, but if I'm supposedly a "judge" or sorts, I feel I have to devote more attention to detail, and I'd rather not do that with 12+ DARs per turn block).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 15, 2003, 16:55   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I already mention my preference, but it is not a a life and death issue. So I am fine with what the final word turns out.
Old September 15, 2003, 16:59   #4
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:47
i voted for "other team decides".
why? it brings in another sort of strategy.
the other team is tempted to vote for one of the not-so-good-savegames. but if they pursposely exadurate, in the next round, they are going to pay for it.

so all in all, it's the game theory coming in here in full extent
Old September 15, 2003, 17:21   #5
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 03:47
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
the other team is tempted to vote for one of the not-so-good-savegames. but if they pursposely exadurate, in the next round, they are going to pay for it.
This shouldn't happen, as teams are asked to vote for the best played block. Teams are not in competition against one another so picking a not-so-good save will be irrelevant...

btw, I voted for voting on the other team's DAR...

--Kon--
Old September 15, 2003, 18:57   #6
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Random

(not like i'm in any of the games though... just a thought )
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old September 15, 2003, 19:16   #7
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
(not like i'm in any of the games though... just a thought )
You're welcome to join.
Old September 15, 2003, 21:33   #8
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 02:47
I gotta say own team decides. Part of the reason I chose opportunistic was that I would be able to see how others on my team handle this playstyle. I think that if another team chooses, then we could inadvertantly be pushed towards conquest or SS.
Old September 15, 2003, 21:48   #9
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 03:47
What we can do is to discuss inside our team and decide which save is the best one. Then, the final word goes to the people from the other team. They have to state which save is the best one and why.

That way, you might highlight some key points that have been missed by the "home" team.

Basically, it's a compromise where everyone has a word to say but the final decision remains outside the "home" team.

I admit it might be slower, but the two discussions can go on at the same time...

What do you think of this?

--Kon--
Old September 15, 2003, 22:02   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by BRC
I gotta say own team decides. Part of the reason I chose opportunistic was that I would be able to see how others on my team handle this playstyle. I think that if another team chooses, then we could inadvertantly be pushed towards conquest or SS.
I think it inherent that the judges acknowledge the style of the team they are judging... really, that is very important.

I want to see a warmonger judge a builder, and vice versa, and an opportunist judge a... uh, er, hmm...

Seriously, if I can sway the crowd here, I would very very very much like to see cross-team judging. AU spirit, education, stronger critiques, etc.

Also, AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, it hasn't really been discussed much in these recent 'poly threads about what is now the AUSG, but this effort will result in a really fantastic educational opportunity... when we are done with this the first game (and, of course, each of the subsequent games), we will have a standard map that a hopefully great number of us have played, with critique and optimal performance. AND, a series of 'winning' block saves for future players to try / experience for themselves.

How simple a thing... "I want to try a builder approach... let me see how I do against the builder block save for 4000-2150 BC." What worked, and what didn't?

But what if that same new player then said, "I want to try WARMONGER!!"

Let us cross-pollinate, please... I am very passionate about this.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 15, 2003, 22:27   #11
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

I agree with everything Theseus has said, but feel that it can still be done by voting for your own save. Which is what I voted for.

Some of my rationale is in the other thread.
Old September 16, 2003, 06:47   #12
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 08:47
I voted 'let's another team vote' because I like a 'neutral' view of what I have achieved so far.

Another problem: we are 3 teams of 6 players. What if there is a tie? 3/3 or 2/2/2? Who decides? Rhothaerill? (wouldn't mind).
Old September 16, 2003, 10:46   #13
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

There are a bunch of problems wiht voting within your own team. Are you allowed to vote for yourself? Etc.

I think it will be much simpler if we cross-vote. That, and (again) all the stuff Theseus said (cross-POLYnate!? HAhaHA!).

Dominae
Old September 16, 2003, 11:02   #14
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!

Ties can be decided by Rhothy, NM, or even the third team.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 16, 2003, 11:54   #15
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

I was planning to break any ties that may crop up. I'm not playing the games so I can be completely impartial for that. In the event I'm not around on Thursdays to break a tie (not likely that I won't be around) then Nuclear Master can break the tie.
Old September 16, 2003, 17:35   #16
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Only a few hours left to find out how we'll go about choosing the next turn block. For any that haven't voted on your preference yet, please do so. I will be posting tonight after midnight EST to go ahead and start the process of choosing over the next two days. Right now it looks like we'll be having the other teams judge.

BTW, the banana vote is mine simply so I didn't keep having to click the view results link every time.
Old September 16, 2003, 18:32   #17
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:47
I voted that other teams do the voting. This way, more people will see different types of play.
Old September 16, 2003, 19:28   #18
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well it was close, so I guess that means no one was out in left field.
Old September 16, 2003, 23:54   #19
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Well it is almost midnight EST so I'm going to go ahead and officially declare the first turn block over. Now we can start the process of deciding which saves will begin the next turn block. As seen from the poll above it has been decided to have one other team decide on each team's turn block. Therefore the domination team would choose for the opportunist team, the opportunist team would choose for the spaceship team, and the spaceship team would choose for the domination team.

In the DAR threads please post your preference for the next turn save for the team you have been assigned. It is also encouraged, though not mandatory, to discuss and critique the individual saves while posting your preference. The time period for discussing and posting your preference will last until 23:59 EST Thursday, and the next turn block will begin on Friday.