Old September 16, 2003, 09:40   #1
Dhirvish
Settler

Local Time: 08:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Diplomacy problem...
Seriously, what the heck is up with the computer and their messed up trading needs? If I have one silk to trade and want one spice from them they dont think "Hmm, one equal resource for one equal resource, sure Ill do it" They say "Pff, I want a saltpeter, an iron, AND your silk and THEN Ill give you a spice. Its like that every game I play, I have to get totally screwed in each deal to be able to trade for anything. Doesnt matter that our govt types are the same and if theyre polite to me, I never get a good deal. Any way to balance out the trading aspect of the game??
Old September 16, 2003, 10:02   #2
Wazell
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:49
If you are way bigger than them, their spice is more beneficial for you than your silk is for them (you get many more happy faces per one resource), thus they want more goods in exchange. It's not like "one resource equals one resource" when we are talking about luxuries.

Also, it helps to have monopoly of certain luxury, so you don't have competitors offering it for cheaper prices.
Old September 17, 2003, 13:03   #3
Dhirvish
Settler

Ahhhh, now that makes a lot of sense. I usually do have a larger empire, and getting a monopoly is pretty darn hard. Ok, thanks for the help, Ill keep that in mind.
Old September 17, 2003, 18:33   #4
Wazell
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:49
That's what I thought. Time to go for higher difficulty level, if not for anything else than to get equal trading partners.
Old September 17, 2003, 19:50   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:49
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Hey dex, why don't you join one of the AUSG teams?

Or start a new one for Machievellian play?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Last edited by Theseus; September 19, 2003 at 22:28.
Old September 18, 2003, 17:10   #6
justjake73
Prince

Local Time: 03:49
What ticks me off is that they want a tech, a luxury, and 200 gold in exchange for their luxury, but if you try the reverse it NEVER works.

And then they get pissed that you're not trading with them.
and in the darkness bind them.
Old September 18, 2003, 17:17   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
justjake, sure it works in the reverse.
If your civ is really small, and you are trading with a really LARGE civ, you can get a bundle for your lux. If you don't like their offer, you can counter-offer.

Personally, of course, I would prefer to be the large civ.

(nice sig! Which platform do you use?)
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 18, 2003, 17:17   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 04:49
I developed a simple method of dealing with this: I take the luxury from them.

Basically, the AI calculates what the luxury is worth to YOU (number of citizens it will make happy). So if you have a big empire, and already have a good number of luxuries, an extra one is gonna be worth a lot (marketplaces, baby), and they know it. So they will try to charge a lot for it. It can be irritating, sure, especially when I offer 4-5 luxuries for 1 and still get rejected (and then investigate the AI capitol and see 2 entertainers being used to keep it out of revolt... the AI could have really used those 4-5 luxuries!).

So yeah, once I'm really big and strong (the point at which the cost of trading for a lux becomes ridiculous), I'll just go take it. It's cheaper.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 18, 2003, 17:21   #9
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
So yeah, once I'm really big and strong (the point at which the cost of trading for a lux becomes ridiculous), I'll just go take it. It's cheaper.

-Arrian
Don't forget more satisfying. I'm pretty much the same way. If another civ has a luxury I need (or want), then I'll try to get it cheaply from trade. But failing that (which is what usually happens) then I'll go take it from them.
Old September 19, 2003, 15:58   #10
LordVipper
Chieftain

if you are way bigger than them you can always renegotiate peace and add the luxury in the deal.
Old September 23, 2003, 11:31   #11
WackenOpenAir
Chieftain

you don't even have to be bigger.
on deity, early on, i am like 1/4 th of what the AI is in citizens, but they will pay me well for piece