Old September 16, 2003, 15:43   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The Trappings of War: Volume XXIX (2 parts, map included, 2nd part up later)
An UnOrthOdOx View of the Glory of War

“Get me Eira!” I snapped at the nearest guard.

Mountains lay to my north, but a short distance from my ultimate goal, Pamplona, and more importantly MrWhereItsAt. Yet, there upon those mountains awaited the War Chickens of the Stormian Army. It would be insane to attack them among their secure camp in the mountains. There was a group to the east, guarded by the infernal Catapults that had become a staple of the Stormian War Machine, and providing a tempting target. I was much too long in my years to fall for such a thing, though, knowing full well a counter attack would soon surround and destroy us if we gave in to that temptation.

“You sent for me, UnO?” Eira said from behind.

“Yes. Is everyone accounted for?”

“No. Ghengis took off on his own further north. I have already dispatched a regiment to bring him back.”

I smiled. “A useless effort. Ghengis must have known that a city the size of Pamplona would have outlying farms to fill his lust for blood. I suspect he will corrupt the minds of the regiment you sent as well. Oh well, at least they will raise some havoc. How do you see the current situation?”

“Well, we have little choice that I can see. We must continue south and west and trust that Neu Demogyptica will be ready to assist once we break through this attempt at entrapment.”

I nodded. “Very good. You still have your fathers latest map?”

He answered by reaching into his saddlebag and holding it up with a grin. We both dismounted and found a suitable rock to unroll it upon. “The way I see it, we only have two choices. We can either camp on the hills outside of Barcelona here.” He said, pointing to the map. “Or we can shoot for the road through the desert here.”
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	53421  

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 16, 2003, 15:44   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Sufficiently old map to be of no use now, but for those who are completely lost will give them an idea.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 22, 2003, 16:35   #3
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Part II. Sorry for the delay.

The hills would provide a better cover should we be attacked. However, the road provided the opportunity to advance on several Spanish towns in short order. Pamplona was blocked to me at this time and I desired to take this frustration out on the nearest town possible.

“We will ride for the desert and it’s roads. There we will be in a position to eliminate all of Western Spain and to finally learn how our friends in Neu Demogyptica are fairing and what assistance we can offer them.”

We rode down from the hill and into the desolate expanse of the desert. Somewhere out in the midst of this wasteland was a series of roads that would lead me yet once more closer to my goal. The dunes seemed to stretch on forever in every direction and our mounts were having trouble to gain footing as the sand would shift beneath their feet.

I hated this land. There was nothing here in the south save the promise of death. The Jungle we had passed through held no signs of a fitting existence to be found. Bilbao was a town that held onto it’s own fragile life by a thread to begin with. It was merciful to remove that from them to begin with. Even the hills and mountains here were little more than barren rock jutting up from the land below, and now this desert. A lifeless expanse of endless sand, nothing more. Spain was a land forsaken by life itself it seemed. A far cry from the wine fields that surrounded Imperial city or even the grass covered hills around Zenophobia. No, Spain was a land of death, and I was here to ensure that death came to it’s inhabitants.

After hours of traveling the monotonous expanse, a straight line could be seen in the distance cutting across the horizon. This must be the road, the vital trade network that supplied Spain with their precious luxuries. Those frivolous expenses that it seemed Spain had based their prosperity upon.

As we came closer to the road, I spotted a single figure making his way out across the desert to meet with us.

“Greetings Sir UnOrthOdOx! I bring word from Lord Aggie.”

How did he know where to find us? “And? Has he seen fit to bring his sorry ass down here yet, or is he going to let me finish off all of Spain on my own?!” I snapped.

“He sends word to remind you to hold onto some cities. You will be needing a place to gather the reinforcements that are already on their way, and a place to heal your own soldiers.”

“WHAT!? You march right back up there and let him know that I know VERY well how to conduct a war! Did he forget who it was that first taught him to hold a sword or is he more concerned with expanding the empire now he sits upon the throne? Well, he needn’t worry, my anger is not enough to blind me yet. Though, make no mistake. There will be NO spainish citizens allowed to rebel. They either comply or die. There will be no resistance, there will be no rescue. Make that clear, will you?”

I dismissed him with a wave of my arm and watched for a moment as he headed back towards the road before signaling for my troops to resume our march on toward the heart of Spain.

I thought for a moment I heard something in the distance, but dismissed it as the sounds of this host of soldiers at my own command. At long last I felt a surge of energy as my horse made his way up upon the stones that had been laid to make the road. It was all within grasp now. The soft clopping of the hoof on the stone filled me with anticipation. And then it struck me.

The sound I was hearing could not possibly be from our forces in the midst of the sand, it was the sound of a great host upon the road, and by the growing strength, they were gaining quickly.

“Eira!”

“Yes sir,”

“We will be having company soon. I want two volunteers to delay this force! Split the rest of our forces to attack Valencia, Murcia and Salamaca, and make sure we destroy this road that they may not follow us until we can regroup and assess our situation. I am taking these two battalions with me and take Meridia. Split up now!”

Eira raced off giving out the orders and I watched as the forces raced off. This maneuver would decide the fate of our invasion. I watched the South and marveled as the Storm Chickens appeared from out of nowhere. Impossibly outnumbered, I watched as our two battalions charged headlong towards their deaths. Their lives would buy us the time we needed to rid the West of all Spanish presence. Their sacrifice would not be in vain, and I was confident that they would not fall without a first inflicting their fair share of pain upon the Stormian army.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby