View Poll Results: What kind of options do you think are good?
30 year trading pact with the cycon 0 0%
30 year trading pact with the pirates 1 33.33%
Stay in treaty with the pirates 1 33.33%
Stay in treaty with the cycon 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 18, 2003, 05:23   #1
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 18:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
30 year trading pacts.
What do people think of entering a 30 year trading pact. With the idea of increasing our commerce and faciliating tech trading.

In diplomatic messages we say we're attempting to offset our energy problems and tech problems by pacting with others.

We can write up a pact treaty that expires after a certain date, and the pact will downgrade to a treaty at that point. We also insert a purposeful mistake where one line that is meant to say "peace" is subsituted with "drones". Hence giving the impression we're reusing the same pact treaty we already have with the drones.
Old September 18, 2003, 05:26   #2
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

I stuffed up the poll, but just writein your opinions.
Old September 18, 2003, 10:54   #3
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 01:55
I am hesitant about entering into any long-term agreement with the Pirates; I simply do not believe that it will be as profitable as simply maintaining our current relationship (for however long that may last). On the other hand, if the CyCon cooperate a 30-year trading pact with them would be most profitable for the Hive given their status as a research faction. Simply put the CyCon would be better trading partners.
Old September 18, 2003, 19:02   #4
Kody
Emperor

When I say trading pact I mean firstly for commerece. Tech trading would be at the discretion of each faction, however knowing which techs the other has and what he's researching and being pacted helps with tech coordination.
Old September 18, 2003, 19:15   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 08:55
I'm wary of giving too many factions infilteration... a treaty of friendship would serve us better, I would say. Bear in mind that any faction that can run FM and wealth (apart from us ) will get +1 commerce at each base, so a pact will really be helping them a lot more than it helps us, I guess.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old September 18, 2003, 19:20   #6
Kody
Emperor

Actually if you look at the drones, we would still get +1 commerce per base. If they run freemarket then there's the rarer case they get +2 in one or two bases.

About the infiltration, I agree we have to be careful, and this is the main thing I'm concerned about with a trading pacts.

I haven't really made my mind on this issue. We're strengthing the pirates as well as ourselves. However, by pacting with the pirates we're weakening the university in respect to other factions.

From the looks of these responses a pact won't go through.
Old September 18, 2003, 19:49   #7
EZRhino
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 01:55
Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
I agree with Jamski, giving them infiltration isn't worth extra trade income.

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!
Old September 18, 2003, 23:30   #8
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 02:55
I agree with the Chairman that a long term pact with the PEACE may not be a good choice. Treaty would be a more sensible option for us. As for CC, we would have to wait and see what the situation is like when we actually meet.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 19, 2003, 03:06   #9
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

The main reason not to let the Pirates get infilteration is that it makes it just too damm easy to bounce us with marines then. If they can see which defenders each base has.... well.

-Jam
Old September 19, 2003, 03:08   #10
Kody
Emperor

Now that's the best argument I've heard yet.
Old September 19, 2003, 05:17   #11
Jamski
Deity

Or which base hasn't got a defending probe team yet...

We don't really want to make ourselves vunerable to the only faction that can really attack us at the moment. Also - could we trust the CyCon not to pass information over to the Pirates about us? If they ARE in a pact, this is quite likely IMHO

-Jam