lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 10:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
to Beta
Old November 9, 2003, 09:06   #122
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:03
Tibi has it
Old November 9, 2003, 10:12   #123
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:03
to Flandrien
--Woody Allen
Old November 9, 2003, 16:10   #124
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

to Beta
Old November 9, 2003, 21:46   #125
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 05:03
To the esteemed Mr. V.
Old November 10, 2003, 01:50   #126
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
I was talking about the pikes you killed in my abandoned city (I can't remember the name). I believe you (or Wittlich) killed 3 pikes while losing only one MI, if I recall corectly. (when it should have been the other way round)
Sorry folks, just passing through and caught this latest "difference of opion"...

Oh yes, I remember the battle for the abandoned city (ie, just a heap of rubble) well.

This is when I attacked your SINGLE Pikeman (not 3) with a Horseman from the city I built ajacent to your pile of rubble - and won! This was when the Great Leader was created which rushed the Great Library ... and in the honor of the victorious day, the horseman was renamed Wittlich....it was one of my proudest moments in the game.

After the horseman pulled off this great feat, he was in the red (1 HP left, ie, bleeding to death) but I moved him back to city to heal ... And I would imagine he's alive and well today under a different "upgrade" ... eh, Flandrien? So be aware, enemies of Flandrien might still run into a unit named "Wittlich." Tread softly for you don't know where he'll show up next.

Just to get my two-cents in and clear the air.

But is nice to hear that Flandrien got another Great Leader!

Carry on.

Last edited by Wittlich; November 10, 2003 at 02:05.
Old November 10, 2003, 02:06   #127
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich

This is when I attacked your SINGLE Pikeman (not 3) with a Horseman from the city I built ajacent to your pile of rubble - and won! This was when the Great Leader was created which rushed the Great Library ... and in the honor of the victorious day, the horseman was renamed Wittlich....it was one of my proudest moments in the game.
We are clearly not talking about the same battle. You moved your stack of 4 MIs to the mountains S-E of my city (on the desert tile, between the floodplains) while H_E attacked my pikes on the mountain N from it. Then on the next turn I saw that I have no pikes in the city (I had 3, IIRC) while you lost one MI from the stack and 3 of them were wounded.

But yeah what you described did happen, too, on the eastern front (near the rubbles of the city alva has abandoned when Flandrien started his sneak-attack).

Not that I'd matter.

Quote:
But is nice to hear that Flandrien got another Great Leader!
He did, but before you played. I didn't see it, but the Great Library couldn't have appeared out of the nowhere.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; November 10, 2003 at 02:12.
Old November 10, 2003, 02:24   #128
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Ah yes, this was the later campaign just before I passed the reigns back to Flandrien .... I am actually curious about all of the moves in this battle too, since it encompassed all 3 of us (you, me, and ET...or should I say ET and myself attacking you).

On my turn, I noticed that ET's forces to the north of your city were slighty lower than before (though he had a number of reinforcements just behind them), so I took this as a sign and attacked with all of my forces located to the south of your city. IIRC, when I finished my turn, you still held the city - but barely (defnding unit showing up as red)....I never saw the next turn because Flandrien returned to reclaim his thrown.
Old November 10, 2003, 02:28   #129
Tiberius
Emperor

I abandoned the city next turn. I only had 2 MIs left in it and could not possibly defend it anymore.

and he's not ET, but HE (Hot _Enamel)
--Woody Allen
Old November 10, 2003, 02:31   #130
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
He did, but before you played. I didn't see it, but the Great Library couldn't have appeared out of the nowhere.
Actually, I rush-built the Great Library after I received the Great Leader from the "Pikeman-Horseman show down"....hense why there is a "unit" running around the world by the name of "Wittlich" - in honor of winning the battle of "The Lone Pikeman" and the consecutive building of the "Great Library."
Old November 10, 2003, 02:35   #131
Tiberius
Emperor

Ahh, then I don't remember correctly. Flandrien must have got another GL then, after yours. He has an army now. I believe Wittlich is part of it. It will be an honour for me to destroy it
--Woody Allen
Old November 10, 2003, 02:40   #132
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

What did Flandrien use his first GL on then? IIFC, the only wonder we (Flandrien and I) posesed was the Great Library which I rush-built (at least when I was playing). So why are you mentioning TWO Great Leaders Tiberius?
Old November 10, 2003, 02:41   #133
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Sorry Cross-Post.

Old November 10, 2003, 02:45   #134
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
I believe Wittlich is part of it. It will be an honour for me to destroy it
On a last note (and I KNOW Flandrien will not let me down)....

GIVE IT YOUR BEST SHOT, SNOW WHITE!!!

Old November 11, 2003, 10:06   #135
Tiberius
Emperor

sent to Flandrien
--Woody Allen
Old November 11, 2003, 19:00   #136
Flandrien
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Tread softly for you don't know where he'll show up next.
That would be London.

260 AD sent to Cerberus
Old November 12, 2003, 14:29   #137
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

to Beta
Old November 13, 2003, 03:43   #138
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Oh my, the Judgment Day is coming... the Mongolian hordes at the doorsteps of Moscow and Minsk. Rather depressing look. Everybody able to wield a weapon was assigned one. Even young kids and women grabbed rocks to hurl at the smelly barbarians outside the walls. There is a queer hush hanging over the cities. Pretty much like the tense silence over the Hornburg besieged by the evil Orcs from Isengard...

For Mother Russia!
Old November 13, 2003, 07:02   #139
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Russions are gay
Not that there is anything wrong with that

Onto the next bloke
Old November 13, 2003, 07:34   #140
Flandrien
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
Russions are gay
So is prince Charles of England I have heard.
Old November 13, 2003, 07:48   #141
Tiberius
Emperor

At least we don't ride elephants.
--Woody Allen
Old November 13, 2003, 12:47   #142
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Russions are gay
Is that because of the 'queer' word? My dictionary lists the word as synonymous to 'weird', 'strange' in the first place. Only the second meaning is said to have a relation to 'gay'.

I do not think I have ever heard the word in a spoken language, but for some reason, it occured to me when describing that dense atmosphere...

Would it be better to not use it at all? No offense taken at all, just trying to learn - this is something a non-native speaker never knows for sure unless explicitly told.
Old November 13, 2003, 15:52   #143
Tiberius
Emperor

I've seen this confusion before.

It is one of those words that used to mean something entirely different than what it means now ...

American english
--Woody Allen
Old November 14, 2003, 11:56   #144
CerberusIV
lifer
Emperor

to Beta
Old November 14, 2003, 14:03   #145
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 05:03
The Orcs won.

To vondrack.
Old November 14, 2003, 19:53   #146
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Yeah.

Pity very few of them will live to tell the story... BTW, thanks for taking care of my cats. I was pleasantly surprised to see them maintained properly.
Old November 15, 2003, 00:10   #147
Hot_Enamel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

Is that because of the 'queer' word? My dictionary lists the word as synonymous to 'weird', 'strange' in the first place. Only the second meaning is said to have a relation to 'gay'.

I do not think I have ever heard the word in a spoken language, but for some reason, it occured to me when describing that dense atmosphere...

Would it be better to not use it at all? No offense taken at all, just trying to learn - this is something a non-native speaker never knows for sure unless explicitly told.
queer does indeed also mean gay.
Just having a little fun with ya
Old November 15, 2003, 02:38   #148
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
queer does indeed also mean gay.
Well, ummm, yes... I knew that. What I was asking was whether it's ONLY gay nowadays or whether I can use 'queer' as 'strange' or 'weird' (if this meaning is at all still used/considered).
Old November 15, 2003, 04:30   #149
Hot_Enamel
Emperor

Yes... it still means weird/strange/unusual.
But I think it gets used more often as gay.

Especially since that hit american TV show
"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"

Five gay fashion experts help style-challenged heterosexual men.
http://www.bravotv.com/Queer_Eye_for_the_Straight_Guy/

It rates well in Oz as well. Primetime TV.

Last edited by Hot_Enamel; November 15, 2003 at 09:05.
Old November 15, 2003, 07:05   #150
Tiberius
Emperor

280AD to Flandrien
--Woody Allen