Old June 15, 2004, 09:00   #271
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Local Time: 11:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Also here a thought, that schooner we have in the southern ocean ( that just popped a pod. I don't think the Cycon knows where it is. If we order it back to Hive territory we may 'capture' a Hive base. Long shot I suppose.
We could follow it's progress by new map info revealed every time a PEACE base was taken...

Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller
In there, I found this post about playing ahead:

Interesting how this relates to our dispute over the supposed exploit - the example Maniac gives of acceptable playing ahead being just what Cap'n Herc did when he recommended attacking the Cycon units in the move that the impartial mods made us take back. Seemingly the Borg engage in this form of playing ahead themselves, but find it to be cheating if other people do it.
Nope, didn't happen AFAIK (and certainly not with me on the MAF helm). The overly strategy was already planned, only the exact military moves were planned by me, posted in the MAF thread and then implemented when the turnplayer did the turn. After the moves were official (posted) I implemented them on my download and if necessary (eg. an enemy unit spotted) sent a PM to the turnplayer how to behave in that situation. It saved quite a lot of time by which the turn could be played within the 48 hours mark.

Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller The 2nd example Maniac used (for good playing ahead) is carefully framed - avoiding mention of what exactly the military function would have done if he discovered that the base was unexpectedly strong and resisted being captured - would they still recommend that the turn player do exactly what they did then???
Remember CyCon had infiltration on PEACE, and each time an army landed it was strong enough to overcome local defenses. That could reasonably be determined by checking the base in F4. The only wild card was defenders outside but near your bases.
Besides, battle odds are never quite similar when done on different computers. The odd roll'of dices could always happen...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
I think there is a strong suspicion, because of evident division within the Hive, that our CP co-ordinates were leaked to the Cycon.

If so, this calls into question the whole ethos amd ethics of the game. Unless the Hive/Drones agreed as a faction(s) to leak (which seems unlikely at this juncture).

I have to say Maniac or Geo, whoever was the turn player always seem to strike it lucky?
I can only say that no info leaked to me. If other CyCon members had 'contacts', I was not aware of those, and would find it highly questionable. The main thing was that with the MCC our ships had such an extended range that I could accommodate a partial scout run in the orders and retreat far enough back if necessary to avoid detection. Also, with the Atlantis evacuation, I simply knew your main fleet and transport foil were around. For the rest it was simple luck that our vessels in the north (seas between Calico and Paradigma) were so high up that your screening units north of Atlantis were discovered before you did with us. The probe foil BTW I delibarately let it make a detour but the discovery of the Hive Cutter was a surprise because of a slight misunderstanding between me and Maniac in the orders.

Quote:
Originally posted by Makahlua
In a quick response he did say that one reason we get to keep them longer is the war is expensive, and they can't afford to buy em off just yet. heh. ^^
Actually, one of the crawlers (phoenix isle) we only discovered later on...

I bet that if that Pact with Drones wouldn't have happened before PEACE left Yardlong you guys would had the opportunity to play 'till the CyCon surrender...

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old June 15, 2004, 09:18   #272
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by GeoModder
We could follow it's progress by new map info revealed every time a PEACE base was taken...
And the kelp suddenly appearing was also a big giveaway.

As for knowing the locations of your CPs, that was done by looking at your base screens and the direction your CPs and transport was facing.