Old October 3, 2003, 22:37   #61
Atlantian
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
Warlord

Local Time: 09:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The borg (in star trek) strive to be perfect. They will cheat, lie, and destroy to get it. That may be the case. If they are like that, then they are in reality hell bent on everyones heads being in the collective, as well as their corrisponding techs...

EDIT: ((Ok, maybe not cheat, but the other two still hold))
"War forced us into the seas. When we came back upon the surface, it was a ruined and desolate place. We knew that it was not long before even the most secluded spot in the seas of Earth was polluted, so we left to the the sea of stars. That is how we came to be on Chiron."
-Dameon McPherson, Leader of the Atlantians, "The Exodus"
Old October 3, 2003, 22:40   #62
Atlantian
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
Warlord

Local Time: 09:05
And here is the quote I got after my post on the borg...

"A star captain's most solemn oath is that he will give his life, even his entire crew, rather than violate the Prime Directive."
-- Kirk, "The Omega Glory", stardate unknown
"War forced us into the seas. When we came back upon the surface, it was a ruined and desolate place. We knew that it was not long before even the most secluded spot in the seas of Earth was polluted, so we left to the the sea of stars. That is how we came to be on Chiron."
-Dameon McPherson, Leader of the Atlantians, "The Exodus"
Old October 4, 2003, 09:08   #63
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 10:05
Kody has informed me by PM that he has sent a message ( by bottle ) to Ambassador Flubber.

So I'll post this note and email Flubber.

The Hive have delayed their turn, I suppose, waiting on our response. Maybe
Old October 4, 2003, 19:29   #64
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Just in case Ambassador Flubber is having difficulty getting on line, this is a copy of what we received from Ambassador Kody earlier.

Greetings Ambassador Flubber,

I have been very busy due to the turn planning now taking over a day to
do. I would like to apologise on behalf of the Hive for lack of catering
at the party we invited you to. In fact the lack of party altogether. I
left it in someone elses hands.

I would be appreciated if all correspondance between the yourself and the
chairman Voltaire be given to me. There have been a few gaps in the
correspondance that never made it to the Hive archives, it is believed
some messages by yourself and the chairman are missing. I am hoping to
fill in all these gaps in our archives.

Your previous offer of a pact hasn't yet been seriously considered as
nobody started the discussion. I will attempt to rectify that.

I'm going to suggest a "research and non-agression pact", similar to what
the hive agreed to with the drones. When the Hive has spoken to the
other two factions and asserted their stance towards us, further
discussions on alliance issues will commence.

The Hive recognises that the pirates are a leading power and so the state
of our relations are important.

The Hive can possibly trade Flexibility for Gene Splicing. We finish
Flexibility ourselves next turn, however with some cooperation with the
Peace we will be able to redirect to Gene Splicing. This will boost both
our respective techonology and help us catch up with the University who
undoubtedly has a large tech lead.

If we can close this trade before the hive's next turn that would be
great. However, if we don't it may be a while before the hive will be able
to obtain any techs you will be interested in.
Anyway I've still got to organise the discussions on these issues. This
message is being sent pre-emptively so that the Peace can discuss these
possible offers while the Hive gets organised.

PS: sorry for lack of roleplay in this message, I'm kindof falling behind
in things I have to do.

Kody
Old October 4, 2003, 19:34   #65
Hercules
Deity

I am inclined to say yeah. Non aggression and research deal and Gene Splicing for Doc:Flex sounds good. In fact i don't think we have much choice.

Interesting that they see the PUT as the leading Research faction.

(Which I suppose they are)

Last edited by Hercules; October 4, 2003 at 19:53.
Old October 5, 2003, 20:44   #66
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 03:05
I agree with you, Herc.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old October 21, 2003, 19:57   #67
Hercules
Deity

What is the latest from the PUT re tech and trade or exchange of anything. We are intersted in SOHB aren't we as well as new techs.

And of course Ecol eng.

I posted it in the Hive thread, but any further news from them or the Drones.

The next turn I think will show if the Cycon have kept their word about HEC.

What's the odds.
Old October 21, 2003, 21:47   #68
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Quote:
What's the odds.
Rather low...

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old November 3, 2003, 00:10   #69
Hercules
Deity

Correct.

B*****ds

Anyhow what is the update on other fronts. The PUT are within 1 year of Ecol Eng.

Maybe we should communicate outside the Ambassador contacts to the more active contacts in the factions.
Old November 3, 2003, 11:25   #70
FlameFlash
Emperor

I agree Herc.

Old November 5, 2003, 20:31   #71
Hercules
Deity

The turn is almost on us again. Any news. Even a report of no news or feedback from other factions helps the turn player.
Old November 7, 2003, 11:14   #72
FlameFlash
Emperor

I haven't heard anything.

/me shrugs.

Old November 27, 2003, 21:31   #73
Hercules
Deity

I contacted General Tacticus and received a reply.

Apologies for the lack of a reply; there isn't really any excuse, except that we've been very inactive generally. I
can't give an 'official' response, but I can say we'd be very itnerested in doing some tech trades, and possibly
commlink trades as well, although we aren't sure about the latter. I've posted in our forum telling people to
contribute, so hopefully we'll be able to give an answer, and if not, I'll decide myself and be damned to the rest of
them.

>From: "cathal.mullaghan"
>Reply-To: cathal.mullaghan@ntlworld.com
>To: GT
>Subject: Peace pirates PUT Dip
>Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:38:41 +0000
>
>Hi GT
>
>I sent this diplomatic communique to Archaic and Minute Mirage
>on the 11 Nov. To date we have not received the courtesy of a reply or
>even an acknowledgement of receipt of message.
>
>Our communication exchanges have been based on an understanding that PUT
>saw cooperation with the pirates as a way of clawing back on the Hive
>lead.
>
>Cap'n Hercules
>
>Ahoy there me Dean and Professor hearties,
>
>I understands Ambassador Flubber contacted ye a while back or maybe it
>was to your Ambassador Crimson Sunrise. But anyways we wondered what's
>up.
>
>Ye made a reasonable observation from your crows nest that if we are to
>catch up with the Hive we'd best need to co-operate, seeing we's PACT
>mates and all.
>
>We'd see that cooperation in terms of agreeing tech trades, intelligence
>
>swapping and agreeing who builds what.
>
>I think it would be no secret to say we's keen to build the PEG as
>unfortunately we keeps burying our treasure and forgetting where we put
>it. What would ye be looking to build. I can guess at a couple.
>
>That aside we wondered if ye'd be interested in trading Ecol
>Engineering. It would help us digging trenches no end.
>
>That be some initial thoughts.
>
>We look forward to your learned reply.
>
>Cap'n Hercules
>
Old November 28, 2003, 12:07   #74
FlameFlash
Emperor

At least there's a response from them.

Old December 1, 2003, 07:35   #75
Hercules
Deity

Just received this from GT

"Angus Niven"
To:
cathal.mullaghan@ntlworld.com

Just so that you know, we've decided that we're willing to trade you Ecological Engineering; we're currently
discussing what to request in exchange.
Old December 1, 2003, 19:40   #76
Hercules
Deity

This PM from Voltaire. 1 Dec 2003

Greetings form the Human Hive, we would like to inform our longstanding friends and allies that the government of the Hive has retuned to normal, and we would like to resume our diplomatic relations with PEACE. If you have any offer please contact me personally, and I will communicate it back to the Hive on your behalf.

-Chairman Voltaire

Now that the Hive also have all the Comm links they could call Plan Council .

We need to discuss our own strategy on this before we are caught on the hop.

If called now it would between the Hive and Roze.

If we build the PEG within 2/3 turns what effect does that have on the candidate chart. Question is it in our interests to support the Hive ( for a price) or vote for the AI.

Obviously, if after coming to a deal with the PUT re containing the Hive, it wouldn't make sense to then give them our vote.
Old December 1, 2003, 21:04   #77
FlameFlash
Emperor

PEG, from my understanding, has no impact on council votes, it all boils down to total population.

Old December 2, 2003, 15:05   #78
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules

Now that the Hive also have all the Comm links they could call Plan Council .

We need to discuss our own strategy on this before we are caught on the hop.

If called now it would between the Hive and Roze.

If we build the PEG within 2/3 turns what effect does that have on the candidate chart. Question is it in our interests to support the Hive ( for a price) or vote for the AI.

Obviously, if after coming to a deal with the PUT re containing the Hive, it wouldn't make sense to then give them our vote.
I got the same message and was ready topm actually do something again since someone is actually talking to me. . .

If a Hive victory is inevitable, you vote for them in the interest of good relations. If we are the sweing vote, MHO is you always vote for the AI, unless the human offers you a deal that is just good to refuse.

The PUT would understand if the deal were sweet enough -- in fact if you want to be a strong bloc, you can set up a voting strategy whereby we and the PUT agree to vote together and essentially say to the HIVE " what will you give us"--- I want to avoid situations where either us or the PUT could win it for the HIve and they pay off whomever takes the lower offer--

I also think our bargaining position may be strengthened if we vote later in the order ( depending on who calls the election) if its close but weakened to nothing if the election is a foregone conclusion before we even get to vote .

Until the AI or the Hive have all the commlinks , I don't see anyone else calling the election.
Old December 13, 2003, 11:43   #79
Hercules
Deity

Hi me Pairate maties, I received this from Gen Tacticus (PUT) via PM. I presume Ambassador Flubber may have got it also.

Quote:
Greetings from the University to our seafaring pactmates. I am unsure as to whether what I am proposing is a new deal or not (checking would take forever), but, owing to present diplomatic circumstances, I have been
authorised to offer a tech trade of Ecological Engeering (from us) for Applied PHysics and Doctrine: Initiative (from you), with the added proviso that neither of our factions trade the techs we acquire from this deal to any other faction.

Is this acceptable?
I think this is a reasonable deal, although it would breach our tech for tech rule. However potentially the PUT would be a source (as here) of useful techs (such as Env Econ), that they can research faster than we can. And they are less awkward to deal with than the Borg.

Views

It would be nice to respond fairly quickly as the turn will reach them soon and it would be good to receive the tech next turn.
Old December 15, 2003, 01:18   #80
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I would accept the deal-- should I send them a message to that effect ??
Old December 15, 2003, 07:44   #81
Hercules
Deity

Yes
Old December 15, 2003, 15:59   #82
Mark123jansen
ACDG3 GaiansACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Accept it
Old December 22, 2003, 00:54   #83
Flubber
Deity

I sent a message accepting the deal but it seems that events have overtaken the PUT so it will be interesting to see what happens

Oh and I received no messages about our vote in planetary council
Old December 22, 2003, 10:39   #84
Hercules
Deity

It was from Honghu to me.
Old December 23, 2003, 01:14   #85
Hercules
Deity

Communication with the Hive

Dear Captain Hercules,

Thanks for getting back to me. We look forward to more communications with the
PEACE regarding trade and cooperations. Also I would like to inform you that
the Hive has offered the CyCon's a pact. It is expected that the CC will
accept it the next turn.

Ambassador HongHu
> Hello comrade Honghu,
>
> We are canvassing opinion re the council. I think it very likely that
> our friends the Hive will get our vote. Seeing that we are in Pact with
> you.
>
> Cap'n Hercules

There might be a problem here. If the CC attack us then we would be asking the Hive to ally with us against the CC as per Pact assumption.

Should we inform the Hive of our apprehension and the diplomatic consequences

and maybe ascertain their views.

One for Ambassador Flubber to negotiate

Honghu appears to be the new Amnbassador for the Hive.

email is hhu003@mchsi.com
Old December 23, 2003, 01:40   #86
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 02:05
yes, tell them about the hostility the Cycon has historically shown us, maybe even drop a few hints about their potential agressiveness (but probably don't want to come out about that boat we saw, considering the circumstances under which we learned of it)
Old December 23, 2003, 09:40   #87
Hercules
Deity

Just to make our situation worse. This from Archaic.

Quote:
After having reviewed the turn...I'm deciding to not go through with this
trade. The agreement does not suit me. I do not feel Doc Init and Applied
Physics in any way make a fair trade for Ecol Eng.

Dean Archaic

----Original Message Follows----
Reply-To: cathal.mullaghan@ntlworld.com
To: Archaic
Subject: Re PUT PEACE dip
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:49:39 +0000

Hi Dean Archaic,

Before you finish your turn, I hope GT communicated to you or that you
are aware that we were to tech trade, Ecol eng for Doc Init and Applied
Physics. Or if you have Applied Physics some other tech. I hope you can
forward this turn.

Cap'n Hercules

I wonder has he been nobbled by the Cycon. I think we need to protest about this reneging on a deal.

This now puts the Hive situation in a new light because they are within 1 turn of discovering Ecol Eng. So we would need to perhaps make that a trading us Ecol eng a condition to secure our vote.
Old December 27, 2003, 11:28   #88
Hercules
Deity

In view of the time extension to tonight (which I feel is not long enough) and the absence of an indication by Ambassador Flubber that he has contacted the HIVE, PUT or the Drones, I sent this to Ambassador Honghu

Hi Comrade Honghu,

Our pirate members are mostly away over the Christmas period. We had
asked our Ambassador Flubber to contact you on two matters. But there is
no indication in our private forum that he has done so.

The two issues on which we need to know your views are obvious.

1 In the game, the AI version of the Glorious Hive, has declared
vendetta on Cycon as a result of our PACT. We are asking you as PACT
partners to maintain that stance. In other words to be at vendetta with
the Cycon.

2 In the voting for Planetary Council because the PUT have voted for the
Drones, our 33 votes can swing things either way. Because of recent
events we wondered how you would assist us if you assist you.

Ambassador Flubber would use flowery language.

PS I have not contacted the Drones on this matter.

Cap'n Hercules
Old December 27, 2003, 14:44   #89
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 02:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
In view of the time extension to tonight (which I feel is not long enough)
PEACE is not unique in having most participants on an extended Xmas break.

I'll extend the deadline to midnight GST on the 29th - that gves players taking a long weekend a chance to get back

G.
Old December 28, 2003, 00:29   #90
Hercules
Deity

Noticed this from Drogue in the Rec Comms

Quote:
Also, I don't accept we will take a relations hit. We have explained previously our problems with PEACE to faction leaders, and on the whole, they seem to have been accepted.

So when did all of this take place?

Perhaps we need a PR assault.